✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Elliot Page, 'Juno' star, shares transgender identity - CNN

On Tuesday, the Oscar-nominated star of movies like "Juno" and "X-Men: Days of Future Past" shared with fans that they are transgender and identify as non-binary, a term used to describe a person whose gender identity is neither man nor woman.
"I feel lucky to be writing this. To be here. To have arrived at this place in my life," the actor, who was formerly known publicly as Ellen Page, wrote on Instagram. "I feel overwhelming gratitude for the incredible people who have supported me along this journey. I can't begin to express how remarkable it feels to finally love who I am enough to pursue my authentic self."
Page said their pronouns are "he" and "they."
In their note, Page said they have been "inspired" by the trans community and thanked them for showing "ceaselessly working to make this world a more inclusive and compassionate place."

EoKu7njW8AMALSa.jpg:large

An unexpected turn of events but I think it's great that Elliot can finally come out and stop hiding. The responses so far on social media have been overwhelmingly positive. This can be a beacon of hope for all trans people who are currently too afraid of coming out.

I'm interested to see how they will deal with this change in the next season of Umbrella Academy and whether or not they will make the Elliot's character be trans in the show as well.

OddityCrisis

Oct 28, 2020
USA
✟1,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Engaged
Maybe I'll believe her when she undergoes a double mastectomy. Until then, can someone inform her that, "they" is generally not a singular pronoun except when the person's sex is unknown.

The first paragraph in the OP reads quite odd when keeping in mind we're talking about one female, and not a group of guys.

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Page said their pronouns are "he" and "they."

Ellen page also believes she’s “non binary,” meaning...

non-binary” is one term people use to describe genders that don't fall into one of these two categories, male or female.
So it’s “he/they,” and he’s not male. That story checks out fine, fine just fine :clapping:
:tearsofjoy:

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

non-binary” is one term people use to describe genders that don't fall into one of these two categories, male or female.
So it’s “he/they,” and he’s not male. That story checks out fine, fine just fine :clapping:

Non-binary people don't feel attached to either gender identity.

It can seem a bit complicated for people who don't spend much time thinking about these things so the only thing you have to remember is that his name is Elliot and that you use he/they when talking about him.

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe I'll believe her when she undergoes a double mastectomy. Until then, can someone inform her that, "they" is generally not a singular pronoun except when the person's sex is unknown.

The first paragraph in the OP reads quite odd when keeping in mind we're talking about one female, and not a group of guys.

Using 'they' is actually quite common nowadays to refer to a single person.

Just remember that writers should use the singular “they” in two main cases: (a) when referring to a generic person whose gender is unknown or irrelevant to the context and (b) when referring to a specific, known person who uses “they” as their pronoun.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

If one claims to have no gender then 'sans gender' is such a missed opportunity.

• Haha
Reactions: Cormack
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I’ll use whatever I please, but thanks for the suggestion. :tearsofjoy:

I was under the impression that you are a human being with an ounce of decency.

My mistake.

Upvote 0

OddityCrisis

Oct 28, 2020
USA
✟1,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Engaged
Non-binary people don't feel attached to either gender identity.

It can seem a bit complicated for people who don't spend much time thinking about these things so the only thing you have to remember is that his name is Elliot and that you use he/they when talking about him.

You know, not being laughably condescending might be a slightly more effective tact than... that.

I was under the impression that you are a human being with an ounce of decency.

My mistake.

I'm curious, what gives you the impression that you can shame us into going along with this collective delusion?

That wouldn't even work in-person. Much less with some rando on the net who thinks I'm not a decent person because I have working grasp on grammar.

Using 'they' is actually quite common nowadays to refer to a single person.

Just remember that writers should use the singular “they” in 1 case: (a) when referring to a generic person whose gender is unknown or irrelevant to the context.

FIFY.

Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious, what gives you the impression that you can shame us into going along with this collective delusion?

Isn’t that always the way though. “Conform or I’ll call you one of my no no words, then you’ll start acting how I want you to.” Because grown up name calling is the height of moral and spiritual enlightenment. It’s a load of dross from mad, lonely people.

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You know, not being laughably condescending might be a slightly more effective tact than... that.

I doubt it. I have been here quite a bit longer than you and know what to expect.

Being straight forward is in my opinion the right way to go about it.

When someone tells you their name I assume you show respect by using that name to refer to that person.

How about you use that same process when it comes to pronouns? It's not like you're bursting into flames when using the pronoun someone kindly asked you to use.

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Isn’t that always the way though. “Conform or I’ll call you one of my no no words, then you’ll start acting how I want you to.” Because grown up name calling is the height of moral and spiritual enlightenment. It’s a load of dross from mad, lonely people.

People don't ask you to chop off your body parts... so stop acting like it.

Just be respectful, that's not too much to ask.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Just be respectful, that's not too much to ask.

You don’t define respectful or disrespectful behaviour, so get used to people writing whatever they please. Welcome to the real world, it’s got freedom to disagree.

Upvote 0

OddityCrisis

Oct 28, 2020
USA
✟1,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Engaged
I doubt it. I have been here quite a bit longer than you and know what to expect.

Being straight forward is in my opinion the right way to go about it.

When someone tells you their name I assume you show respect by using that name to refer to that person.

How about you use that same process when it comes to pronouns? It's not like you're bursting into flames when using the pronoun someone kindly asked you to use.

A name is a proper noun that is used to reference a person being spoken to or about.

When I meet someone, I have enough available memory to store that person's face & name. If I remember those, you're lucky.

You do not get to dictate that I also make the effort to remember what pronouns you want me to use when referencing you third-hand... when you're, most likely, not even around to hear them. That's how pronouns work. Because if you were there, I'd just use your proper noun, your name.

Also, asking is one thing. Demanding is a whole nother issue.

And that whole bit about being direct about all this, it just calcifies anyone with a spine into defiance. Like a Chinese finger trap, the direct approach isn't the correct one.

Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
And that whole bit about being direct about all this, it just calcifies anyone with a spine into defiance. Like a Chinese finger trap, the direct approach isn't the correct one.

Oh preach, preach sister :bow::bow::bow::liturgy:

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You don’t define respectful or disrespectful behaviour, so get used to people writing whatever they please. Welcome to the real world, it’s got freedom to disagree.

I guess you can say whatever you want, but be ready to face the consequences for what you say. I bet you're a real hulk on the internet but acting like a disrespectful douche face to face can earn you much more than just a few bad words.

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A name is a proper noun that is used to reference a person being spoken to or about.

When I meet someone, I have enough available memory to store that person's face & name. If I remember those, you're lucky.

You do not get to dictate that I also make the effort to remember what pronouns you want me to use when referencing you third-hand... when you're, most likely, not even around to hear them. That's how pronouns work. Because if you were there, I'd just use your proper noun, your name.

Also, asking is one thing. Demanding is a whole nother issue.

At the end of the day you can do whatever you want. I am just trying to give you some pointers on how to respectfully interact with trans people.

But be the hero of all pronoun freedom fighters. All transphobes will truly look up to you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.