Elizabeth Warren says she wants to eliminate Electoral College

Should we do away with the Electoral College?

• Yes

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • No

Votes: 30 57.7%
  • I need more study regarding the issue

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Informative
Reactions: brinny

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Electoral College will be abolished the day after never. And quite rightly so.

The system didn’t break in 2016; it worked as it was intended to.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Electoral College will be abolished the day after never. And quite rightly so.

The system didn’t break in 2016; it worked as it was intended to.
The system was intended to give more power to the slave-holding states.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
No, you don't understand. If we abolish the Electoral College all our problems will disappear. The U.S. will suddenly become heaven on earth. Every bad thing that has ever happened can be traced to the Electoral College. Once it's gone we'll have virtuous leaders who are responsible to the people. Corruption will disappear. All laws will be fair.

History proves all of this. As does science, my pet fish Carl, and my magic 8-ball.

Upvote 0

Unnamed Guy

Nov 27, 2018
Los Algodones, CA
✟20,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
No, you don't understand. If we abolish the Electoral College all our problems will disappear. The U.S. will suddenly become heaven on earth. Every bad thing that has ever happened can be traced to the Electoral College. Once it's gone we'll have virtuous leaders who are responsible to the people. Corruption will disappear. All laws will be fair.

History proves all of this. As does science, my pet fish Carl, and my magic 8-ball.

You left out better tasting coffee and prettier housewives.

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

That's like, your opinion man.

The purpose of the system is to prevent the country from sliding into mob rule, where the populace system can dictate to all the less populated.

Look at hunger games. That system is metaphor for what would literally happen in a total democracy, where 51% of the public, can enslave and abuse the 49%. The system is designed to diversify power.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's like, your opinion man.

The purpose of the system is to prevent the country from sliding into mob rule, where the populace system can dictate to all the less populated.

This is modern myth making and historical revision. The actual historical facts are that the north was populated while the south was not. The 3/5th compromise and the electoral college were rooted in the fact that southern slave states wanted to have political power on par or nearly on par with the northern states.
The Electoral College Has Been Divisive Since Day One | History | Smithsonian

Look at hunger games. That system is metaphor for what would literally happen in a total democracy, where 51% of the public, can enslave and abuse the 49%. The system is designed to diversify power.

Indeed. We have a much better system than that. 535 people can enslave and abuse 330,000,000 of us. Even worse, 5 out of 9 can do the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

If the 8-ball says so, that proves it. Case closed.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
No, that's the primary historical reason that the electoral college was created.

Source? Slavery was a factor, but claiming it was the primary reason is something altogether different. The FFs were leery of what they were creating. They weren't sure what would happen ... sorta like the scientists at Los Alamos in the 40s. So another factor was adding ways to put on the brakes if things went bad. Shay's Rebellion was a big deal.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Be that as it may, it has the practical benefit of ensuring that oversized major metros don’t drown out everyone else.

For a movement so concerned about “the little guy”, I guess I thought the left would understand the big picture here.

Upvote 0