Eliyahu ben David

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Godpleaser

I was searching around trying to find out some background information on Eliyahu ben David. I was wondering if he is jewish, or where his understanding of Hebrew comes from. Can anyone help me in my quest?

I heard his radio show a few times and what I hear sounds interesting, but I'd like to know more about the messenger before I place too much stock in the message. His website doesn't really offer the information I seek.

Your help in this matter is appreciated. I'm a stickler for knowing the source of things, especially information and perspectives.

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was searching around trying to find out some background information on Eliyahu ben David. I was wondering if he is jewish, or where his understanding of Hebrew comes from. Can anyone help me in my quest?

I heard his radio show a few times and what I hear sounds interesting, but I'd like to know more about the messenger before I place too much stock in the message. His website doesn't really offer the information I seek.

Your help in this matter is appreciated. I'm a stickler for knowing the source of things, especially information and perspectives.

I checked out several google results and couldn't find out much. What I did discover would have me go on to the next person.
He says he's Jewish but he uses the four-letter name of God (that doesn't automatically make him a liar, he could have been a seculer Jew before conversion, but I don't think practicing Jews use the Name like that). He also uses the "name" Yahshua which isn't a Hebrew name/word so that is suspicious. (Being Jewish he should know the correct name. There is a cult called Sacred Name. These people use the name of God and the spelling of Yahshua.) Also, he has jumped on a very popular bandwagon, eschatology. Frankly, I'd move on.

Perhaps one of our Jewish friends will add some further info on the use of the four-letter name (I don't even like typing them out, sorry), whether once they have received Yeshua they feel it's now okay to say/write out the Name

You asked for thoughts, so this is just my opinion with what little info I found available. But there are many good teachers out there, keep on looking.

Upvote 0

rsduncan

Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
✟10,402.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I checked out several google results and couldn't find out much. What I did discover would have me go on to the next person.
He says he's Jewish but he uses the four-letter name of God (that doesn't automatically make him a liar, he could have been a seculer Jew before conversion, but I don't think practicing Jews use the Name like that). He also uses the "name" Yahshua which isn't a Hebrew name/word so that is suspicious. (Being Jewish he should know the correct name. There is a cult called Sacred Name. These people use the name of God and the spelling of Yahshua.) Also, he has jumped on a very popular bandwagon, eschatology. Frankly, I'd move on.

Perhaps one of our Jewish friends will add some further info on the use of the four-letter name (I don't even like typing them out, sorry), whether once they have received Yeshua they feel it's now okay to say/write out the Name

You asked for thoughts, so this is just my opinion with what little info I found available. But there are many good teachers out there, keep on looking.

I think Jews avoid the use of the Divine Name as a rule...

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think Jews avoid the use of the Divine Name as a rule...

I do too, but I cannot answer for them. I'd rather leave what I say about Jewish custom open to correction by someone who has grown up in it.

Upvote 0
G

Godpleaser

Thank you for the reply. I would not call myself a Messianic Christian/Jew at the moment as I am currently inquiring and seeking, but I appreciate your feedback. Personally I go for the pronunciation of Yah-hoo-shua, but that is just my opinion (from what I currently know). I just wanted to know what "knowledge" this guy has going into to what he claims he knows. In other words, what influences he has had upon him. I am highly suspicious of anyone claiming to know the truth or a hidden meaning, as I am not your typical naive Christian who is unfamiliar with the ways of the world. I do however, try not to make a decision without educating myself beforehand (as always, I am also open to being wrong).

I can clearly see that those involved in Messianic Christianity are no more familiar with his background than what I can currently gauge.

I thank you for your time and input, and I appreciate your aid in trying to help me discover the things I wish to know.

I wish no dishonor upon this man. I just want to know his background. That is all! I have no bones to pick with anyone. I just want the truth - that is all I ever seek.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
BTW. I am uninterested in custom. "Custom" or tradition is usually far from truth.

That's what I was trying to get across to you. It is very much a custom with the Jewish people, whether they are observant Jews, Christians or Messianics - they generally stay true to that particular custom, so it's suspicious to me when someone claims Jewishness and uses the name. It's out of character.

But give him a listen to. By their fruit you'll know them. I'm not so much into eschatology to want to listen to a long teaching by someone I'm not familiar with. You might like him....

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
BTW. I am uninterested in custom. "Custom" or tradition is usually far from truth.
But if you want to understand Jews at all, you need to get comfortable with the idea of customs.

Upvote 0

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"The result of all of this in our day is that actual descendants of all 12 tribes of the nation of Israel are scattered throughout all the nations of the earth - with most of them not even knowing who they are! All of these scattered Israelites separated from their Land are Israel in exile." This is a quote from his forum at The Remnant of Israel
He explains a lot more further down the page.

I don't think he is a major voice/leader in the mainstream MJ movement

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
"The result of all of this in our day is that actual descendants of all 12 tribes of the nation of Israel are scattered throughout all the nations of the earth - with most of them not even knowing who they are! All of these scattered Israelites separated from their Land are Israel in exile." This is a quote from his forum at The Remnant of Israel
He explains a lot more further down the page.

I don't think he is a major voice/leader in the mainstream MJ movement

I'd never heard of him.
I remember seeing that website when I googled but I didn't go to it. Thanks for linking it. At least he's not of the original Two House Theology. I've bookmarked it for later reading. He might be interesting (but I still have my doubts.....)???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
G

Godpleaser

That's what I was trying to get across to you. It is very much a custom with the Jewish people, whether they are observant Jews, Christians or Messianics - they generally stay true to that particular custom, so it's suspicious to me when someone claims Jewishness and uses the name. It's out of character.

But give him a listen to. By their fruit you'll know them. I'm not so much into eschatology to want to listen to a long teaching by someone I'm not familiar with. You might like him....

Ok then. Thank you for your insight, it is much appreciated!

I have listened to him, and as I believe I said, I find some of what he says interesting, but I don't like the impression that I am given that he somehow knows the Jewish side of Christianity, yet I am unable to confirm such by a simple google search. You'd think he'd flat out say somewhere how he knows what he claims he knows, wouldn't you? I think so anyway (at least if you are trying to be honest and very forthright with people).

It would seem to me that he knows what he is talking about, but "seeming" and is are two different things, and I am not exactly trusting of my own flawed human judgements. I believe that is what got Adam into trouble long long ago.

I am certainly not accusing the man of anything; don't get me wrong. In fact, check the guy out for yourself if you so desire, but I just wanted to know if any of you knew any more about him since I was having trouble finding what I desired on my own.

I appreciate your interjection that he may not be jewish because of his use of words.

Upvote 0
G

Godpleaser

But if you want to understand Jews at all, you need to get comfortable with the idea of customs.

Yes. I do believe you are very correct. I do need to study customs much more closely. It is not that I have a problem with understanding and respecting cutoms, but that I rather do not enjoy adhering to them, especially if they happen to get into the way of the more important message of the Gospel.

I have been working on increasing my knowledge of various things over the years and customs would be one area I am lacking in (and should not be). It is just that we all tend to put off the things we enjoy least until the end, unless of course, we happen to be of the sort who prefer to get the least pleasant over with first.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok then. Thank you for your insight, it is much appreciated!

I have listened to him, and as I believe I said, I find some of what he says interesting, but I don't like the impression that I am given that he somehow knows the Jewish side of Christianity, yet I am unable to confirm such by a simple google search. You'd think he'd flat out say somewhere how he knows what he claims he knows, wouldn't you? I think so anyway (at least if you are trying to be honest and very forthright with people).

It would seem to me that he knows what he is talking about, but "seeming" and is are two different things, and I am not exactly trusting of my own flawed human judgements. I believe that is what got Adam into trouble long long ago.

I am certainly not accusing the man of anything; don't get me wrong. In fact, check the guy out for yourself if you so desire, but I just wanted to know if any of you knew any more about him since I was having trouble finding what I desired on my own.

I appreciate your interjection that he may not be jewish because of his use of words.

Well, another suggestion then. Rather than be so broad, asking about the person, why not pick one of the questionable statements and create a thread here. We have observant Jews, Torah observant Messianic Jews and Gentiles and we have Jewish Christians all in here. There's bound to be at least one or two people who can tell you yea or nay.
If there is more than one statement, it might be wise to have a thread per statement. What do you think? That might help you to decide just how right on this guy is or isn't.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2011
✟7,611.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
His real name is Steve Butt, and he's an ex-Jehovah's Witness who's about as Jewish as a pork chop.

But you don't have to take my word for it. (Unfortunately, my post count doesn't let me post links.) Check the home page for one of his web sites, www dot bfree dot org - it mentions Eliyahu ben David. Then do a Google search on "bfree.org Steve Butt", and you'll get a ton of matches. He's got quite a history, including having been a prominent polygamist who was profiled by the L.A. Times and CBS News.

If you do a Google search on "Broken Shackles Steve Butt", and click on the "Books" link on the left, you'll come up with even more interesting hits. One, "A Teenager's Tears: When Parents Convert To Polygamy", has a brief biography. He's also mentioned several times in a book about polygamy called "God's Brothel".

I don't know what he's saying about Judaism, but knowing his completely non-Jewish background, I certainly wouldn't take any of it seriously.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
His real name is Steve Butt, and he's an ex-Jehovah's Witness who's about as Jewish as a pork chop.

But you don't have to take my word for it. (Unfortunately, my post count doesn't let me post links.) Check the home page for one of his web sites, www dot bfree dot org - it mentions Eliyahu ben David. Then do a Google search on "bfree.org Steve Butt", and you'll get a ton of matches. He's got quite a history, including having been a prominent polygamist who was profiled by the L.A. Times and CBS News.

If you do a Google search on "Broken Shackles Steve Butt", and click on the "Books" link on the left, you'll come up with even more interesting hits. One, "A Teenager's Tears: When Parents Convert To Polygamy", has a brief biography. He's also mentioned several times in a book about polygamy called "God's Brothel".

I don't know what he's saying about Judaism, but knowing his completely non-Jewish background, I certainly wouldn't take any of it seriously.

Thank you for the info. He had gotten to be quite the mystery man. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was going to make a witty remark about most people with ethnic sounding biblical names ending with ben * are goyim in disguise but Carl's statement sound more serious.

I heard one of his "radio shows" last week and it just didn't sound right in my spirit.
Godpleaser, if you search some prior posts around here, you find some other types of MJ available.
Here's one I just discovered that sound promising and informative Beth Tikkun Messianic Congregation | Audio Teachings

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was going to make a witty remark about most people with ethnic sounding biblical names ending with ben * are goyim in disguise but Carl's statement sound more serious.

I heard one of his "radio shows" last week and it just didn't sound right in my spirit.
Godpleaser, if you search some prior posts around here, you find some other types of MJ available.
Here's one I just discovered that sound promising and informative Beth Tikkun Messianic Congregation | Audio Teachings

Beth Tikkun was my fellowship for 3 years. I haven't found anyone to match Grant. He's wonderful. I miss them all so much.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the info and finding out his real name. I figured he wasn't Jewish,
but I googled to find his name and didn't have any luck.

Upvote 0

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Beth Tikkun was my fellowship for 3 years. I haven't found anyone to match Grant. He's wonderful. I miss them all so much.

Wow that's interesting. He seems to have a broad and deep understanding of the bible. And really enjoys sharing it with others.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wow that's interesting. He seems to have a broad and deep understanding of the bible. And really enjoys sharing it with others.

He is wonderful. If you want to know more about him and/or the congregation, feel free to PM me so as not to derail the thread.....;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.