Elijah Has Come and With Him the Great and Terrible Day of the Lord!

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it has to do with Christ's first coming. It was a Great and Terrible Day of the Lord FOR His Old Testament congregation that because of rejection of the Messiah (and put Him to death), they have lost a kingdom representation that God took from them and gave to New Testament Congregation where He has established a kingdom. I know many misguided Christians thought that Elijah has yet come and only applies to Second Coming.

Of course the great and terrible day of the Lord happens at His second coming - all one has to do is compare what scripture says happens at the day of the Lord, with what Jesus does at His return, and it’s blatantly obvious that He didn’t do that during His first visit here.

Shalom.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Note: He stops reading at mid verse of Isaiah 61:2 He declares "the acceptable year of the Lord",
not the day of vengeance. The first and second coming in one verse. He proclaimed the first half
has been fulfilled in their hearing
. Do you see? Trying to help here.
If you can receive it, there is a first and second coming. Elijah comes before that great and terrible
day.

Of course you are right.

The day of the Lord is a day of vengeance, fire, and wrath, says scripture - and since Jesus will return with a sword, flaming fire, wrath, and great vengeance, and since Jesus didn’t do that during His first visit here, it has to occur when He returns.

Shalom.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it has to do with Christ's first coming. It was a Great and Terrible Day of the Lord FOR His Old Testament congregation that because of rejection of the Messiah

Nice try, but not quite right.

The Day of the Lord is a day of fire, vengeance, and wrath.

It’s at Jesus’ second coming that He comes with a sword, flaming fire, and vengeance - which matches with the events of the day of the Lord.

None of that happened at His first visit here.

Shalom.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟290,792.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Nice try, but not quite right.

The Day of the Lord is a day of fire, vengeance, and wrath.

It’s at Jesus’ second coming that He comes with a sword, flaming fire, and vengeance - which matches with the events of the day of the Lord.

None of that happened at His first visit here.

Shalom.
The belief that Jesus Returns in vengeance and fiery wrath, is a direct contradiction of the three clearly described scriptures that do tell us how His Return will look like, Zechariah 14:3, Matthew 24:30 and Revelation 19:11. Then He will simply destroy the attacking armies by the Sword of His Word. No mention of fire at that time at all.

The terrible Day of the wrath of God and the Lamb; will be the Sixth Seal, the next prophesied event we can expect. It will set the scene for all that must take place, leading up to the glorious Return.

Revelation 15:1 tells us that the wrath of God is finished BEFORE the Return.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The very last words of the Old Testament are as follows:

Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD. He will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers, so that I will not come and smite the land with a curse. Malachi 4:5-6​

Please note that these are the very last words of the Old Testament. They describe the coming of the Great and Terrible Day of the LORD and associate it with the coming of Elijah. The Great and Terrible Day of the LORD is assumed by many today to be the final event on earth’s eschatological time clock. But according to Jesus, it has already occurred. In the following statements, Jesus says that John the Baptist was Elijah.

And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come. Matthew 11:14 NASB​

And He answered and said, “Elijah is coming and will restore all things; but I say to you that Elijah already came, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” Then the disciples understood that He had spoken to them about John the Baptist. Matthew 17:11-13 NASB​

Because Jesus says something, I take serious note of it. By Jesus making these claims about John the Baptist, and by equating John’s coming with the coming of Elijah, I see no other way to interpret them than to conclude that Jesus was claiming His own coming was in fact the Great and Terrible Day of the LORD. How else can these verses be interpreted?

And if Jesus’ first coming was the Great and terrible Day of the LORD, what on earth are Christians waiting for with respect to His Second Coming? What more great and terrible day can there be than the day God Himself came in the flesh and allowed Himself to be hung on a cross? I find it hard to believe anything else could be done and be more aptly described as Great & Terrible…
I think this is what Jesus referred to in regard to John the Baptist.
Luke 1:17
And he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.

But we note in Rev 11 God appoints two witnesses who will come in that same spirit and power who will testify in the City where their Lord was crucified for 1260 days before the end comes.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not cherry picking Bible verses. What I am doing is giving more weight to the words of Christ than anything else written in the Bible.

That’s a huge error, which leads down the rabbit-hole of the JWO movement, and also, it is contrary to the words spoken by Christ our God.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I read it. BTW, I am not pre-mill/pre-trib, etc. I am Eastern Orthodox...
It is appointed for ALL to die once (Hebrews 9:27). It also says Eliyahu was translated. Same with Enokh (Hebrews 11:5). Genesis 5:24. Malakhi 4 implies that Eliyahu was still alive. Yeshua after He rose had a physical, but now immortal, body. That is the change. this in itself disproves your opinions...

Also, all traditional Christians agree with the EO doctrine and accept that Christ rose in the Flesh and not just in the spirit.

I also personally believe in the real presence of our Lord in the Eucharist owing to the physicality of His resurrection.

Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟123,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Also, all traditional Christians agree with the EO doctrine and accept that Christ rose in the Flesh and not just in the spirit.

I also personally believe in the real presence of our Lord in the Eucharist owing to the physicality of His resurrection.

When did Jesus authorize the proliferation of His literal physical body? Only Jesus Christ can perform that. No human can gain authority from another human. If it were possible only those claiming such authority direct from God, and then no other human would trust them. Just because some religion gives it's members authority does not mean God does.

It was also done prior to His death on the Cross. If anything only those 12 disciples at that particular moment was part of the process. Jesus does not do it post Cross. It was not an ongoing event, much less a religious ritual.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The very last words of the Old Testament are as follows:

Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD. He will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers, so that I will not come and smite the land with a curse. Malachi 4:5-6​

Please note that these are the very last words of the Old Testament. They describe the coming of the Great and Terrible Day of the LORD and associate it with the coming of Elijah. The Great and Terrible Day of the LORD is assumed by many today to be the final event on earth’s eschatological time clock. But according to Jesus, it has already occurred. In the following statements, Jesus says that John the Baptist was Elijah.

And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come. Matthew 11:14 NASB​

And He answered and said, “Elijah is coming and will restore all things; but I say to you that Elijah already came, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” Then the disciples understood that He had spoken to them about John the Baptist. Matthew 17:11-13 NASB​

Because Jesus says something, I take serious note of it. By Jesus making these claims about John the Baptist, and by equating John’s coming with the coming of Elijah, I see no other way to interpret them than to conclude that Jesus was claiming His own coming was in fact the Great and Terrible Day of the LORD. How else can these verses be interpreted?

And if Jesus’ first coming was the Great and terrible Day of the LORD, what on earth are Christians waiting for with respect to His Second Coming? What more great and terrible day can there be than the day God Himself came in the flesh and allowed Himself to be hung on a cross? I find it hard to believe anything else could be done and be more aptly described as Great & Terrible…

You have happened on the two aspects of the gospel, the already/not yet of the Good News. Jesus' death on the cross was a little like D-Day in WW2. It was a turning point after which the gospel would go out, a major theme of the Book of Acts. Satan is restrained from preventing its spread during this time. The Day of the Lord is the time between Jesus' first and second comings, during which we rest on Jesus' victory and look eagerly forward to his second coming, when he will give us believers a place as perfected people in the new heavens and the new earth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It was also done prior to His death on the Cross. If anything only those 12 disciples at that particular moment was part of the process. Jesus does not do it post Cross. It was not an ongoing event, much less a religious ritual.

THIS do in remembrance of me...as often as you drink of it you do it in remembrance of me...Luke 24:30

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Please explain to us what you mean by Elijah WAS “still alive”:

Mal 4:5-6
Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

How did He come? Did he come physically? Or did someone else having the same spirit and power of Elijah which is actually the Holy Spirit? Take your time!

Um read Malachi...take your time...when was Eliyahu taken vs when did Malachi write that? Malachi, when he wrote that, was implying that Eliyahu was still alive and would come in the future.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟290,792.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What if the Day of the Lord is not really about the return of Jesus?

What if almost all references to the return of Jesus are not really about the return of Jesus?
The Prophesies are specific; There are 2 Days of the Lord to come.
First; His terrible Day of vengeance and fiery wrath, the next prophesied event we can expect, which will commence the end times, leading up to the glorious Return of Jesus. The Day of Almighty God. Revelation 16:14

On the Day of the Lord's wrath, He will not be seen. Psalms 11:4-6, Amos 1, Psalms 18:11, Habakkuk 3:4

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟123,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
THIS do in remembrance of me...as often as you drink of it you do it in remembrance of me...Luke 24:30
Remembering something is not the same as doing it originally. If you drive a car in your youth and drive it your whole life, you are not remembering the car. If while driving your 5th car, and you sometimes remember your first car, the vehicles do not magically change around you to your first car, and you are actually driving the first car literally.

Upvote 0

Timtofly

Jun 29, 2020
Mount Morris
✟123,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Um read Malachi...take your time...when was Eliyahu taken vs when did Malachi write that? Malachi, when he wrote that, was implying that Eliyahu was still alive and would come in the future.
Elijah has never been pronounced dead. More than likely will never die, because he keeps coming and going multiple times.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Remembering something is not the same as doing it originally. If you drive a car in your youth and drive it your whole life, you are not remembering the car. If while driving your 5th car, and you sometimes remember your first car, the vehicles do not magically change around you to your first car, and you are actually driving the first car literally.

Doing the same ritual is doing the same ritual...whenever you perform it, it is the same ritual.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Elijah has never been pronounced dead. More than likely will never die, because he keeps coming and going multiple times.

I never said he was. However, everyone dies. Everyone has to die. Hebrews 9:27-28...Ecclesiastes 9:2-4...1 Corinthians 15:22...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus does not do it post Cross. It was not an ongoing event, much less a religious ritual.

That view is contrary to the major Baptist confessions of faith concerning the Ordinance of the Lord’s Supper.

Upvote 0