Electronics project. Where to buy components

Burdened

Nov 15, 2011
✟7,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Other than the ubiquitous Radio Shack stores, there are numerous hobby electronics web stores. Hobby electronics died in the US in the early ‘90s and there are very few retail outlets anymore.

The purchase and sales of some types of electronics devices and components are tracked. Be sure your intentions will stand the light of day.

Burdened

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Other than the ubiquitous Radio Shack stores, there are numerous hobby electronics web stores. Hobby electronics died in the US in the early ‘90s and there are very few retail outlets anymore.

The purchase and sales of some types of electronics devices and components are tracked. Be sure your intentions will stand the light of day.

Burdened

Hehe, no problem! I am building a travel-map of sorts. Very simple stuff, really. Initially just drilling holes in a globe on locations where my wife and I have lived and/or visited and inserting an LED there. It's sort of a gift to her as she is working on setting up a memory corner in our apartment with photos and memorabilia from our (fairly extensive) travels.
In addition -for myself- I intend to build a volumetric display prototype, based on a 3D LED grid, which I intend to use to show graphs from a few mathematical functions. Just for fun.
Really simple and utterly harmless stuff. As my wife and I are both students I just wanted to see if the components I need are cheaper in the US. Does RadioShack really sell individual components such as LEDs, resistors, wires, solder and assorted goods?

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If your lucky enough to find a "Real" Radio Shack then yes you can buy individual components and ect. The bad part for us electronics hobbyists is that some radio shacks are putting a very small priority on these items, sticking them in a corner and forgetting them. If your going to be near Wichita Kansas I can direct you to two good places, and Yes we do have an good ole fashioned radio shack nearby :) Though unless your pruchasing the supplies for your project form areas you have traveled to for sentimental value(like say the LED marking London was actually purchased in London) is important then the online suppliers are probably the best cost wise.

Upvote 0