Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
My own position on predestination and election might be closer to the Eastern Orthodox view than it is to the Calvinist view.

As election was understood for Israel in the Old Testament, election was for Israel as a whole, rather than individuals to salvation.

The New Testament term for the church "ekklesia," which is related to the English word "elect," was also used for the people of Israel in the Greek Septuagint.

The Corporate View of Election

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think these Bible verses can set up a framework of what we know of election & predestination in Orthodoxy.

Check:

Deuteronomy 29:29
Deuteronomy 30:12-20
Ezekiel 18:23, Ezekiel 18:4-9 & then read all of Ezekiel 18

Read John 3:16-21 notice while within the passages that there is room for our free will to come to the light. It is to the believer salvation is first & foremost but remember Deuteronomy 29:29 & consider Luke 6:31-37.

From this, I believe, a good summation is found in the 1st brief chapter of an ancient church manual called the Didache. Just read that for now since I have a long article from an Orthodox Bishop to throw at you ( so to say). What is a prominent feature of this going back from Deuteronomy to the Gospel is the 2 ways preaching ( of life & death). For the Didache see:

Didache. The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles (translation Roberts-Donaldson).

Here is an article on predestination from an Orthodox Bishop:

On Predestination

I hope this can be of help. God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Should one trust Old Calendarist sites like Orthodoxinfo as a reliable source of information? Is Orthodoxinfo schismatic?

They have a mostly legitimate resources within their archives; I believe I cited one that is sound.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Should one trust Old Calendarist sites like Orthodoxinfo as a reliable source of information? Is Orthodoxinfo schismatic?

they were schismatic, I don't think they are anymore.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
they were schismatic, I don't think they are anymore.

The article I cited was originally published in Orthodox Life from Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY ( ROCOR).

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
The article I cited was originally published in Orthodox Life from Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY ( ROCOR).

Was that during the time in which ROCOR was outside of union with the Moscow Patriarchate?

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Was that during the time in which ROCOR was outside of union with the Moscow Patriarchate?

Outside, as far as I know, their theology was never called into question. I later saw the same article on a link to the Malankara Oriental Orthodox Church:

On Predestination, Bishop Elias Minatios, Sermons, Baselios Church Digital Library, Jacobite Church Ohio

So the article has shared understanding between Greek ( Russian, Antiochian, Serbian etc) & Oriental Orthodox Churches.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ROCOR was never out of union with the Serbian or Greek Churches, so it would be a moot point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But bands that ask, is there gas in the car? Is there gas in the caaaaaaar?
Okay, this relates to election. If I recall, the song is about an outlaw escaping his due punishment. God creates the basic materials to make gasoline, but we have to make sure there's gas in the car. The gasoline represents...something, and ...I don't know. I'm not a Theologian. :(

• Haha
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

KisKatte

Jesus, send us your Holy Spirit.
Feb 1, 2020
Karlsruhe
✟53,237.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is a hard question for me as I do not agree with this teaching. Personally. I was also told as a child that if you die, you sleep until resurrection and then will be judged. I personally do not believe that also. I believe in the near death experiences of people, and that you fly immeadetly to God after death, like many modern orthodox priests believe also. It is not the problem for me that hell can be nearly eternal or severe suffering. It is question of principes. Eternity or not. And I know, not eternally. But very very long hell time.....

Upvote 0