• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Election & Predestination in Eastern Orthodoxy

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Humble_Disciple, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Humble_Disciple

Humble_Disciple Well-Known Member

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    Can you please help me to understand Eastern Orthodoxy's position on election and predestination? I am expecting that it will be very different from Calvinism, given that Calvinism was based on Augustinianism.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+6,640
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The Confession of Dositheus contains an explanation of predestination from the viewpoint of Orthodoxy. Its definition is generally accepted by the Orthodox Church:

"We believe the most good God to have from eternity predestinated unto glory those whom He has chosen, and to have consigned unto condemnation those whom He has rejected; but not so that He would justify the one, and consign and condemn the other without cause. For that would be contrary to the nature of God, who is the common Father of all, and no respecter of persons, and would have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth {1 Timothy 2:4}. But since He foreknew the one would make a right use of their free-will, and the other a wrong, He predestinated the one, or condemned the other. And we understand the use of free-will thus, that the Divine and illuminating grace, and which we call preventing [or, prevenient] grace, being, as a light to those in darkness, by the Divine goodness imparted to all, to those that are willing to obey this — for it is of use only to the willing, not to the unwilling — and co-operate with it, in what it requires as necessary to salvation, there is consequently granted particular grace. This grace co-operates with us, and enables us, and makes us to persevere in the love of God, that is to say, in performing those good things that God would have us to do, and which His preventing grace admonishes us that we should do, justifies us, and makes us predestinated. But those who will not obey, and co-operate with grace; and, therefore, will not observe those things that God would have us perform, and that abuse in the service of Satan the free-will, which they have received of God to perform voluntarily what is good, are consigned to eternal condemnation."

The Confession of Dositheus (Eastern Orthodox)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Humble_Disciple

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    Thank you. Are there any articles you could care, from an Eastern Orthodox perspective, against open theism?

4. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+16,472
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    my Scripture professor would say that predestination is like if you follow the yellow brick road, you will end up in the Emerald City. and while you need to follow it, if you do, the destination is inescapable.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. HTacianas

+6,640
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Open Theism is relatively new. Anything you're likely to find about it in the Orthodox Church would be in response to it. As far as I know there is no defined statement on it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Humble_Disciple

+359
    United States
    Protestant
    Divorced
    I'm not trying to proselytize or be argumentative, but open theism was taught in medieval Judaism:
    Open Theism in Medieval Judaism

I'd be happy to see an Eastern Orthodox perspective on it.

7. ArmyMatt

+16,472
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I can't think of any articles, but anything from the Semitic saints trounce the notion of open theism.

8. HTacianas

+6,640
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I don't know if you are going to find anything that answers it directly. There are a whole lot of "isms" out there that simply aren't a part of Orthodoxy.

9. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,672
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Suddenly I’m in the mood for vintage Elton John? :sorry::sorry::sorry:

10. ArmyMatt

+16,472
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    haha! well done, Captain Fantastic.

11. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,672
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Mars ain’t no place to raise your kids, Father.

12. ArmyMatt

+16,472
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    haha, not gonna take the bait on this one dude

13. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 864511320 Supporter

+5,014
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I hear it's quite cold there.

14. ArmyMatt

+16,472
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    the East then probably didn't encounter it all that much. our saints really didn't care about developments in other religions.

15. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,672
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Cold as….Hades ^_^

16. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,672
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    What!? ^_^^_^:sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry:

17. ArmyMatt

+16,472
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I saw where this was leading. Seinfeld, Star Wars....not gonna be on my toes for when you bring up Elton John.

18. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,672
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Awwww you’re no fun anymore!! I’m not much of an Elton fan.

But bands that ask, is there gas in the car? Is there gas in the caaaaaaar?

That’s my speed, baby!

19. ArmyMatt

+16,472
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    it's not that, haha, it's just that every time you have a fun comment, I am awaiting a Seinfeld or Star Wars rabbit trail.

those are awesome, but a lot.

20. TheLostCoin

TheLostCoin A Lonesome Coin Supporter

+801
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I don't know why, but I imagine Lucifer has the same kind of personality as Elton John.