Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was asked awhile ago if ELCA pastors are supposed to always follow the lectionary. I know it is common practice in the ELCA, at least for Sunday services. I wasn't sure, but I could remember one Lent when the ELCA congregation I attended had a pastor that did a series on Noah and that obviously wasn't the lectionary.

I know that there isn't really "discipline" from the Bishops down,just more advice as the ELCA is basically run from the congregation up . . .

So, are ELCA pastors supposed to always follow the lectionary or is it a guideline? I have no idea what to actually answer.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that the have to, but it would be the odd minister that did not. It's the common lectionary for a reason, and if the minister decided to go against it one would start to wonder why he/she were even desiring to be a part of the church. Having set lectionaries and liturgy is one of the defining characteristics of ELCA worship. That said, there are some churches (eg, Herchurch in San Francisco) that really push the envelope of the denomination.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that the have to, but it would be the odd minister that did not. It's the common lectionary for a reason, and if the minister decided to go against it one would start to wonder why he/she were even desiring to be a part of the church. Having set lectionaries and liturgy is one of the defining characteristics of ELCA worship. That said, there are some churches (eg, Herchurch in San Francisco) that really push the envelope of the denomination.

I believe you are correct that ELCA pastors are not required to, but very much encouraged and expected to restrict themselves to the lectionary. I have a problem with that sort of thinking myself as I would prefer a pastor to address scripture based upon the current needs of the congregation rather than be shackled to some top/down idea of what is proper to address once every three years. I also think it is an excuse for poor pastors to regurgitate the same sermon on a three year cycle. Then again I am not much for top/down anything nor am I a pastor.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a problem with that sort of thinking myself as I would prefer a pastor to address scripture based upon the current needs of the congregation rather than be shackled to some top/down idea of what is proper to address once every three years.
It's not really a top down decision though, the lectionary was put together by a number of denominations and agreed upon, perhaps from the "top" of those denominations, but it was a committee, if memory serves me.

Ideally the minister will use the scripture, as he/she can preach from any of it, and relate it to the needs of the congregation. With a Psalm, Gospel, and other readings to draw from, this should not be a difficult task. A creative minister can even use the lectionary reading to springboard off to another scripture to use as the base of their sermon if they so feel the need.
I also think it is an excuse for poor pastors to regurgitate the same sermon on a three year cycle. .
Now that I certainly agree with. However, even non-lectionary churches have this issue. I used to attend a church where the minister recycled the sermons annually, with minor changes.

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟22,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was wondering since I was asked. I know that Disciples of Christ don't tend to stick to the lectionary (though they can). The UMC I attend in my home town doesn't tend to stick to the lectionary much. At times they use it, but they usually have sermon series.

When I find that type of thing in the ELCA, I find that it is usually something extra besides normal worship.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you will find that use of the Revised Common Lectionary is most common in the ELCA, TEC, PC-USA and more high church Methodist churches. It is more fitting in a standard liturgy than a low church type setting utilizing a liturgy more akin to non-denominational churches.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is also a growing movement in the ELCA to us the Narrative Lectionary instead of the RCL.
I don't have a problem with that - so long as they add the "optional" Gospel reading when it is not the main reading. Do you have any sense how large this movement is in the ELCA currently?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I don't have a problem with that - so long as they add the "optional" Gospel reading when it is not the main reading. Do you have any sense how large this movement is in the ELCA currently?
I don't. I know several pastors who use it, but that's admittedly a small sample size. But i feel like Luther wouldn't keep pushing resources for it if they didn't think it had sufficient buy in.

• Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It's not really a top down decision though, the lectionary was put together by a number of denominations and agreed upon, perhaps from the "top" of those denominations, but it was a committee, if memory serves me.

Ideally the minister will use the scripture, as he/she can preach from any of it, and relate it to the needs of the congregation. With a Psalm, Gospel, and other readings to draw from, this should not be a difficult task. A creative minister can even use the lectionary reading to springboard off to another scripture to use as the base of their sermon if they so feel the need.

Now that I certainly agree with. However, even non-lectionary churches have this issue. I used to attend a church where the minister recycled the sermons annually, with minor changes.

The Revised Common Lectionary is based off Roman Catholic scholarship around Vatican II, and mainline Protestant churches participated in the process as well.

One of my favorite commemoration days is Christ the King, that was actually instituted by Pope Pius XI in 1925. He instituted it to be a penitential, reflective response to the horrors of WWI.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
There is also a growing movement in the ELCA to us the Narrative Lectionary instead of the RCL.

Ugghh... just no. The Old Testament has never been the primary basis for preaching in any ancient church.

And some of the preaching that comes out of Luther Seminary is strange, even barbaric, the sort of preaching from some of the students of Gerhard Forde, which I almost think of as "Law-Gospel Fundamentalism". It's hyper-Augustinian.

It reminds me of an old joke: a Lutheran pastor is dying in bed, serene and peaceful. "I shall die confident that I cannot ever remember doing any good work". The confession of the frozen chosen, who like much ado about nothing. No liturgical drama, no grand cosmic narrative, no exortation to be anything but hopelessly average... just lots of wrangling of the text of the Bible to tilt at some windmills, lest they bruise some placid conscience who thinks the whole world should be as dull, boring and parochial as Lake Wobegon.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0