just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Watching the convocation at Virginia Tech yesterday I was appalled that in an opportunity to reach out to a hurting audience waiting to find comfort in the message from the Christian representative he made no mention of Jesus or God. He did not cite Scripture or offer prayer even after following the muslim and Jewish speakers who made no qualm about quoting the Koran or references to God.

What a golden opportunity to reach and spread the Word and comfort of Christ's message? Rev. King's address is printed below. One can only presume that he was more concerned about offending non-Christians than revering God.

Does anyone else find this upsetting and frightening?

ELCA Pastor Delivers Christian Message at Virginia Tech Convocation
07-058-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. William H. King, Lutheran campus pastor at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech), Blacksburg, Va., and staff of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), delivered the Christian message April 17 at the Virginia Tech Convocation where students, faculty and others of the community gathered to remember the victims of yesterday's shooting on campus. According to the Virginia Tech Web site, at least 33 people died including the gunman.
"We're gathered this afternoon for many purposes. To weep for lost friends and families, to mourn our lost innocence, to walk forward in the wake of unspeakable tragedy, to embrace hope in the shadow of despair, to join our voices and our longing for peace, healing and understanding which is much greater than any single faith community, to embrace that which unifies, and to reject the seductive temptation to hate," said King, who also serves as deployed staff of the Department for Campus Ministry, ELCA Vocation and Education.
"We gather together weeping, yes, we weep with an agony too deep for words and sighs that are inexpressible, but also we gather affirming the sovereignty of life over death. At a time such as this the darkness of evil seems powerful indeed. It casts a pall over our simple joys, joys as simple as playing Frisbee on the Drill Field. We struggle to imagine a future beyond this agony. If we ever harbored any illusions that our campus is an idyllic refuge from the violence of the rest the world, they are gone forever. And yet we come to this place to testify that the light of love cannot be defeated. Amid all our pain, we confess that the light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it," said King.
"We cannot undo yesterday's tragic events, but we can sit in patient silence with those who mourn as they seek for a way forward. As we share light one with another, we reclaim our campus. Let us deny death's power to rob us of all that we have loved about Virginia Tech, our community. Let us cast our lot with hope in defiance of despair," said King, who invited the convocation to a moment of silence.

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Wow....upsetting and frightening indeed! Why did he bother to even get up there and talk at all?

Where was the comfort? I know several WELS, and LCMS pastors that wait their whole lives for a chance to have that many people listening to hear about Jesus.

He blew it bad. :(

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It wasn't a very good talk at all. I would guess he has been very busy and didn't have time to work on it, but I would have hoped something a bit different would have come out.

As for WELS and LCMS, they would not have even attended, it was not a Lutheran gathering. Many "faith leaders" spoke. If anyone from either WELS or LCMS had spoken or maybe even attended, there would be many calling for their immediate removal today based on unionism.

LCMS is still in an uproar over Benke after 9/11, this would have been an identical type of gathering. I would doubt that anyone in LCMS would have even bothered to ask their superior for permission to attend.

Here is an article that mentions specifically that Allah and Buddhah were mentioned by name, but not Jesus.http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55252

Marv

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Despite the uproar concerning Pr. Benke at Yankee Stadium and his poor witness, he at least ended his prayer "in the precious name of Jesus."

If a Christian clergyman is going to participate in something like that and not at least, at least, offer prayer, then why is he there? Why does he even wear that collar?

Upvote 0

D.W.Washburn

The Artist Formerly Known as RegularGuy
Mar 31, 2007
United States
✟17,408.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It is easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. It is much easier than putting the kindest possible construction on our neighbor's actions. The truth is that, while we may find Pastor King's remarks disappointing, not one of us knows the pressures that he was under, the instructions that he was given, or the circumstances that he faced.

To assert that an LCMS or WELS pastor would have done different is pointless. We don't know what any given pastor of any given persuasion would have done in the same circumstances.

Reactions: MsVicki
Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're kidding me, right? Did you miss the bit about Allah and Buddah being mentioned by the other faith reps. who spoke prior to Rev. King? Do you honestly believe that the majority of the students in attendance were Buddhist or followers of Islam vs. Christianity?

If we are not willing to profess the Way the Truth and the Life that is Jesus Christ every opportunity we get, how can we honestly and in clear conscience accept Christ's sacrifice for our salvation? How little He asks of us for all He has done.

What an amazing and skewed perspective for a Christian. My disappointment deepens.

Upvote 0

QuiltAngel

Veteran
Apr 10, 2006
Somewhere on planet earth
✟15,847.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is great that some here are willing to give the man the benefit of doubt here as he would have been under pressure and busy. To that I say, as a Pastor, talking about the comfort we have in Jesus and why should be on the tip of his tongue always.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It is easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. It is much easier than putting the kindest possible construction on our neighbor's actions. The truth is that, while we may find Pastor King's remarks disappointing, not one of us knows the pressures that he was under, the instructions that he was given, or the circumstances that he faced.

To assert that an LCMS or WELS pastor would have done different is pointless. We don't know what any given pastor of any given persuasion would have done in the same circumstances.

You're kidding, right? Is he not a pastor? Is he not a called and ordained servant of Christ? Is not his job to preach the Gospel and witness to the truth? Is the ELCA really that out of touch??

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As if there should be any question. :eek:

No doubt he'll catch a great deal of heat for it and I hope the ELCA does as well. They need to reflect on the heresy inherent to a loose adherence to doctrine which they call tolerance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's really a shame. And in many instances, this one included, it seems to be the Christian speakers themselves who shy away from being "too" Christian in their speeches, or even in prayers. I don't understand why. It's like they think they'll offend somebody by practicing their own beliefs. Believers in other faiths generally are understanding of Christians. It's *some* Christian "leaders" who seem to think otherwise.

:scratch:

Mary

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
LCMS President's Statement Regarding Virginia Tech

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ:

As we learn more details of the horrific shootings on April 16th at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, we offer our deepest sympathies to and sincere prayers for the families and friends of the victims, as well as to the faculty, staff, and students at the university.

Our church body, through the offices of our Southeastern District, our participation in Lutheran Disaster Response, and other means, will do everything it can to minister to those in the Virginia Tech and Blacksburg, Va., communities.

I understand that in our own university system, a number of our Concordia colleges and universities will be holding vigils and special chapel services today. In your own prayers and meditations, you might consider following the lead of Concordia College, Bronxville, N.Y., by centering your thoughts on the laments of Psalm 10 and the stanzas of Lutheran Service Book No. 764, “When Aimless Violence Takes Those We Love.”
Undoubtedly, many questions will continue to surround the events of this awful day. What could have caused such an outrageous action? Why did so many have to die? How could such a tragedy have been prevented? Some may even question, “Where was God?” The circumstances for such questions remind us of the broken and fallen world in which we live, where evil still has its day as the “devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”

While one may never be able to explain fully to satisfaction the many queries of this incident, one can find the answer for hope in such times in the Lord Jesus Christ. The Easter message of His resurrection reminds us that He has destroyed the power of sin, death, and the devil. From the hollowness of an empty tomb comes the message of comfort and healing that alone can fill the emptiness of lives left vacant by the sadness and sorrow in the tragic death of fellow students and family members and friends. In the most tragic of circumstances we have hope, for God is there “reconciling the world unto himself in Christ.”

Even though we cannot in this life fully understand the mysteries of God, we can be sure of His love for us. Amid the dangers of our sinful world and fragile, fleeting lives, we turn to Christ as our eternal comfort and hope. We find solace in St. Paul’s words to the Romans: “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Rom. 8:38-39).

Dr. Gerald B. Kieschnick
President

Now that is more what I would expect of any Christian servant under such circumstances.

Upvote 0

KimLCMS

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2007
✟29,608.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is great that some here are willing to give the man the benefit of doubt here as he would have been under pressure and busy. To that I say, as a Pastor, talking about the comfort we have in Jesus and why should be on the tip of his tongue always.
I agree. We are all in the Lord's service; let us serve Him well.:prayer:

Upvote 0

DaSeminarian

Veteran
Nov 16, 2006
✟9,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

RG,

The fact that he did not confess the name of Jesus before men is something he will have to answer to at judgment. Despite whatever pressure he may have felt by the ACLU or others he should have proclaimed loud and clear that ONLY JESUS is the answer and put it into context for those mourning. Even if it means that no one ever asks him to be there again he still has a sworn duty to proclaim the Gospel as a called and ordained servant. No excuse is good enough and he is no better than David Benke and in fact a bit worse as DaRev pointed out because Benke at least ended his prayer in the name of Jesus.

I am so glad I left the ELCA and returned to my beloved LCMS. Yes the LCMS is not perfect, but it has more together than the ELCA ever will [IMHO]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.