Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone have any experience with the process in becoming a Deacon or Synod Parish Deacon? I am interested in the Synod Parish Deacon calling, but would love to hear any thoughts on the process or position.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A rostered Deacon and a synod deacon are two pretty different things. I have experience with the first but not the second. Are you in a synod that has Synod deacons?
Yes, the Florida Bahamas Synod has them, we actually had one at our parish until recently when she moved to a different area of the state.

Can you give me any insight into the rostered Deacon?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yes, the Florida Bahamas Synod has them, we actually had one at our parish until recently when she moved to a different area of the state.

Can you give me any insight into the rostered Deacon?
Sure. Deacons are now ordained Ministers of Word and Service, which means they are broadly similar to pastors in many ways. The process to become one is the same one you would do to become a pastor. You submit an application and essay to your synod, they give you the go ahead to start the process, you go to seminary (Though for two years instead of four), do field ed, get assigned a synod and then seek a call. They are called positions, and for the most part are full time spitependary calls. They serve as near equals to pastors and have a lot of the same responsibilities and duties. They cannot become bishops or in general lead a faith community, though there are exceptions. The Parish deacon program appears to be much different.

• Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, yes, they are different. From my understanding the Parish deacon is more exclusively serving under that pastor. If he/she leaves then the deacon has to be re-instated by the next pastor - if he/she decides to. I also believe that the study course is under the sponsoring pastor and shorter. Almost like a more trained altar assistant that is able to do additional duties under their pastor.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After discussion with my Pastor I have decided to be an Assisting Minister at our parish. This is actually the aspect of service that I am most interested in. If I decide to go further than I can do so with some experience.

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0