✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

El Paso County Judge Ricardo Samaniego announced a curfew for the county on Sunday as COVID-19 in the region surges.

"Non-COVID-19 patients are being affected by lack of space at hospitals," Samaniego said.

According to Cintron, COVID-19 hospitalizations are the highest in El Paso since the beginning of the pandemic, having doubled since Oct. 15.

El Paso area hospitals are also working to develop plans to airlift patients to other facilities in Texas on a voluntary basis if necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: dqhall

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is hard to believe because I thought Kenneth Copeland prayed Covid away from Texas.

I didn't know that. It REALLY makes Christianity (therefore Christ) look bad when media idiots pull stunts like that. Didn't Pat Robertson try to pray away Hurricane Katrina or another hurricane?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is hard to believe because I thought Kenneth Copeland prayed Covid away from Texas.

Thanks for that...interesting.

And since that was 8 months ago, seems he has failed miserably. I love it when someone like that does fail, but it seems to do little harm to his phoney ministry as they still follow him.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I would like to know what good they suppose a curfew will do? What do they think the virus only comes out at night?

It limits exposure to other people.

Just like viruses don't drop dead after traveling 6 feet. But keeping 6 feet apart limits exposure to other people.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟895,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It limits exposure to other people.

Just like viruses don't drop dead after traveling 6 feet. But keeping 6 feet apart limits exposure to other people.
but They can be around people all day long. It is not like six feet where people can move along. If you have a curfew that means that I can be exposed to people from x time to y time and still catch the virus. Most curfews involve the night or early morning ( times when most people are not out anyway ( especially on a week night.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
but They can be around people all day long. It is not like six feet where people can move along. If you have a curfew that means that I can be exposed to people from x time to y time and still catch the virus. Most curfews involve the night or early morning ( times when most people are not out anyway ( especially on a week night.

Normally sixteen non-sleeping hours in a day (assuming eight at work, eight off work, eight sleeping). You curfew people for say the last three hours of the day. You have reduced their exposure by almost 19% of the sixteen hours.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Normally sixteen hours in a day (assuming eight at work, eight off work, eight sleeping). You curfew people for say the last three hours of the day. You have reduced their exposure by almost 19% of the sixteen hours.
It would also curtail the number of large gatherings (Bars, parties, restaurants).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
El Paso County Judge Ricardo Samaniego announced a curfew for the county on Sunday as COVID-19 in the region surges.

Jurisdictional conflict developing in El Paso.

The El Paso County Judge has ordered a two-week shutdown of non-essential services due to new Covid-19 cases soaring in the Texas community.

Samaniego made the decision based on the advice of medical professionals and hospital administrators, he said. As of Thursday evening, according to Samaniego, the hospitalization rate was 44%, a 365.2% increase from the beginning of the month.

Election activities are considered essential services, Samaniego said, and will not be affected. He assured residents that steps have been taken to assure polling places are safe.

El Paso Mayor Dee Margo said he was seeking clarification on the order from Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's office.

But Paxton said the county judge "has no authority to shut down business in El Paso County," calling it a "direct violation" of an order from Gov. Greg Abbott.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Jurisdictional conflict developing in El Paso.

The El Paso County Judge has ordered a two-week shutdown of non-essential services

But Paxton said the county judge "has no authority to shut down business in El Paso County,"

Send more refrigerated morgue trucks.

Court halts El Paso shutdown even as coronavirus death toll nears 750

A Texas appeals court in El Paso ruled 2-1 Friday to set aside a county order temporarily shutting down nonessential businesses, a decision some physicians and nurses called “disheartening” “irresponsible” and a “mistake.”

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Members of the Texas National Guard were mobilized to El Paso County, Texas, to help with the morgue crisis as the state battles a surge in coronavirus cases and deaths.

A team of 36 National Guard troops has been deployed to "provide mortuary affairs support," according to the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM).

The Texas National Guard was called to replace inmates who were recruited by El Paso earlier this week to move bodies of coronavirus victims to temporarily relieve overworked personnel.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for that...interesting.

And since that was 8 months ago, seems he has failed miserably. I love it when someone like that does fail, but it seems to do little harm to his phoney ministry as they still follow him.

I would love it a lot more if more people acknowledged his failure... The harm to his ministry is nothing compared to the harm his ministry is doing to the community -- both Christian and American.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would like to know what good they suppose a curfew will do? What do they think the virus only comes out at night?
It stops groups of people drinking and mingling together. And spreading COVID-19.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
El Paso was still grieving when the coronavirus arrived. Now, death has overwhelmed it.

The city unified in the face of hatred last year, adopting the “El Paso Strong” ethos after 23 people were killed in an allegedly racist attack at a Walmart. El Paso is now struggling to summon the solidarity to transcend indifference and fatigue as scores of people are dying each day in a persisting pandemic.

County Judge Ricardo Samaniego, a Democrat, and Mayor Dee Margo, a Republican, sparred after Samaniego enacted a stay-at-home order that closed nonessential businesses, triggering partisan recriminations and legal challenges.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) called Samaniego a “tyrant” for enacting the order. Gov. Greg Abbott (R), who said no new shutdowns would be enacted in the state, accused Samaniego of not enforcing existing rules. Samaniego’s order was struck down by a court.

Soria Najera, who has lost two aunts, an uncle and a cousin to covid-19 since she fell ill, said she questions the point of repeating warnings about the virus if people are going to ignore them. She wrote about her family and about her own sickness and did local news interviews, but she said people didn’t change their behavior. So she stopped, moved away from Facebook and unfriended the virus deniers.

One old ['unfriended' denier] friend ... sent an ominous message earlier this month.

“I just want to say you were right about the virus,” Soria Najera read, noting that there was no explanation from the woman. “Forgive me.”

imrs.php

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would love it a lot more if more people acknowledged his failure... The harm to his ministry is nothing compared to the harm his ministry is doing to the community -- both Christian and American.

Well I missed that one I wonder if it was before or after he tried to blow away COVID.

Upvote 0