St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Did construction of a border fence cut down on crime rates in El Paso?
"El Paso used to have one of the highest crime rates in America," Paxton said. "After that fence went up and separated Juarez, which still has an extremely high crime rate, the crime rates in El Paso now are some of the lowest in the country. So we know it works."
Hmmm. But even if it had, why should we believe that tearing it down and replacing it with a Trump Wall would improve the situation?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"El Paso used to have one of the highest crime rates in America," Paxton said. "After that fence went up and separated Juarez, which still has an extremely high crime rate, the crime rates in El Paso now are some of the lowest in the country. So we know it works."
You really should read the articles you link to:
In his remarks, Paxton said El Paso had a high crime rate before the fence was constructed and that the rate of crime dropped substantially after it was completed.

That was not the case.

Using Uniform Crime Reports from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the rate of violent crime in El Paso can be calculated by combining data reported by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office and the El Paso Police Department.

Looking broadly at the last 30 years, the rate of violent crime reached its peak in 1993, when more than 6,500 violent crimes were recorded.

Between 1993 and 2006, the number of violent crimes fell by more than 34 percent and less than 2,700 violent crimes were reported.

The border fence was authorized by Bush in 2006, but construction did not start until 2008.

From 2006 to 2011 — two years before the fence was built to two years after — the violent crime rate in El Paso increased by 17 percent.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Bob you know probably better than anyone that it takes a really good fence to secure the sheep and goats from the coyotes and wolves that want to come in to devour them.

Have your goats ever ask you to take their fence down because they felt it was unfair to the neighbors goats, Knowing that if the fence is gone, Then the Bobcats, Bears, Wolves and Coyotes and so forth will also come and then they will all be dead.? Or are they pretty content with having a good fence and being safe?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Bob you know probably better than anyone that it takes a really good fence to secure the sheep and goats from the coyotes and wolves that want to come in to devour them.

Have your goats ever ask you to take their fence down because they felt it was unfair to the neighbors goats, Knowing that if the fence is gone, Then the Bobcats, Bears, Wolves and Coyotes and so forth will also come and then they will all be dead.? Or are they pretty content with having a good fence and being safe?

LOL!

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟129,457.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

That is a completely out of context use of that article.

The entire rest of the article is about how the official, Paxton, cited no evidence for his claim and is wrong.

Paxton did not offer statistics to support his claim or specify which iteration of El Paso's border fence he was referring to, although he did reference border barriers erected under former President George W. Bush.

What do crime statistics show?
In his remarks, Paxton said El Paso had a high crime rate before the fence was constructed and that the rate of crime dropped substantially after it was completed.

That was not the case.

Using Uniform Crime Reports from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the rate of violent crime in El Paso can be calculated by combining data reported by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office and the El Paso Police Department.

Looking broadly at the last 30 years, the rate of violent crime reached its peak in 1993, when more than 6,500 violent crimes were recorded.

Between 1993 and 2006, the number of violent crimes fell by more than 34 percent and less than 2,700 violent crimes were reported.

The border fence was authorized by Bush in 2006, but construction did not start until 2008.

From 2006 to 2011 — two years before the fence was built to two years after — the violent crime rate in El Paso increased by 17 percent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I use to have goats, They are so much fun.
I had one particular nanny goat that was always at the barn, She never left the feedlot. She stayed like she was queen or something, Then when it was time to feed, She would push all the bucks out of the way and get through the gate first every single time so that she could have her way and direct where they didn't wanna go.
She smelled terrible and she always wanted her way.
She would often drink my coffee ot tea if I sit it down anywhere and one day she ate my jacket that I left hanging on the gate while I was moving hay. Sigh!!!
Her name was <staff edit>

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I use to have goats, They are so much fun.
I had one particular nanny goat that was always at the barn, She never left the feedlot. She stayed like she was queen or something, Then when it was time to feed, She would push all the bucks out of the way and get through the gate first every single time so that she could have her way and direct where they didn't wanna go.
She smelled terrible and she always wanted her way.
She would often drink my coffee ot tea if I sit it down anywhere and one day she ate my jacket that I left hanging on the gate while I was moving hay. Sigh!!!
Her name was <staff edit>

ROFLOL!!!

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Is Bob's fence 2000 miles long? Wow!

This is the part of the pro-Wall argument I don't get. No one debates that fences and walls do some good. The debate is do we need to expend billions (and it will be much more than just $5.6billion) to put a wall all along 2000 miles of border, some of which is nearly unpassable anyway????

The Dems are OK with the walls that we have and upkeep of those walls. What the Dems seem to be saying is WHY WASTE MONEY ON A SYSTEM THAT IS NOT NECESSARY?

Why not spend the money more RATIONALLY?

Why is that anathema to conservatives these days? Don't you guys value RATIONAL EXPENDITURES OF THE PUBLIC MONEYS?????

Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Is Bob's fence 2000 miles long? Wow!

This is the part of the pro-Wall argument I don't get. No one debates that fences and walls do some good. The debate is do we need to expend billions (and it will be much more than just $5.6billion) to put a wall all along 2000 miles of border, some of which is nearly unpassable anyway????

The Dems are OK with the walls that we have and upkeep of those walls. What the Dems seem to be saying is WHY WASTE MONEY ON A SYSTEM THAT IS NOT NECESSARY?

Why not spend the money more RATIONALLY?

Why is that anathema to conservatives these days? Don't you guys value RATIONAL EXPENDITURES OF THE PUBLIC MONEYS?????
First know that I am not a smart man. I don't know politics or anything about money because I have never had enough to worry about anyhow.
However common horse sense tells me that a country fixes it's problems by firstly stopping all outside aid to others... Build that build fence, keep jobs here in America and get this country financially secure and God blessed again,
Then at that point we will be very powerful and will be able to extend aid and help others to get on their feet. No more frede handouts but handups.

Common sense tells me that if your cows are starving, Don't throw their hay over the fence to feed the neighbors cows. Your first priority is your own cows as your neighbor has his responsibilities.

This is my southern fried view of how it should be. IDK, Maybe I should run for President.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I conferred with the goats and they said they love their fence but would even prefer a trump wall.

Goats for president hats and t-shirts now available.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,241.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I didn't know that these animals could climb ladders and build tunnels under really good fences.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I conferred with the goats and they said they love their fence but would even prefer a trump wall.

Goats for president hats and t-shirts now available.

M-Bob

Bob, if you misread the article, I would recommend you remove the thread. You can't make a simple mistake among present company whom we know are half cocked/chomping at the bit already and expect it to go well...heck, you can't even do everything right, and expect it to go well. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I didn't know that these animals could climb ladders and build tunnels under really good fences.
I sat on the porch with my rifle and protected mine because coyotes and neighborhood dogs would dig under the fence at times.
That helped a lot because after they realized the goats were being protected by a guy that would shoot them, They learned to stay away because they feared bringing destruction upon themselves as they stood a great chance of perishing in the process, So they moved on to someone else's herd and left mine alone.
Great deterrent those rifles and fences.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

When I read the article for a nanosecond I wondered why the OP had even posted this thread when the facts of the source refute the statement he made in the title, and therefore undermine the very agenda trying to be promoted. Then I realized that so many people simply will not bother to read the article, and instead will rush to hit the winner rating trusting that the title and brief summary are correct because they align with what they want to believe. This is a prime example of how misinformation is spread.

What do crime statistics show?

That was not the case.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
First know that I am not a smart man. I don't know politics or anything about money because I have never had enough to worry about anyhow.

I'm there with ya.

However common horse sense tells me that a country fixes it's problems by firstly stopping all outside aid to others...

And if horses ran the country that would be good reasoning. In point of fact the reason America supports a lot of whom they do is because it is in America's direct interest. Our support of Germany and Japan in terms of defense was precisely so they WOULDN'T re-establish a military and become a regional threat. That helps stabilize OUR interests in trade etc.

We'd MUCH rather have a stable Europe that is a solid, first world trading partner than have to keep sending our troops over there to quiet their in-fighting, AND we want NATO because Russia (certainly at one time) was our primary threat to our "existence".

Israel? We need an ally in a region that is EXTREMELY important (or was at one time) to our fuel needs. (Plus we want to encourage more democracies)

Build that build fence, keep jobs here in America and get this country financially secure and God blessed again,

That's the point: there's no real reason according to countless experts to put a fence 2000 miles along the entire border. A lot of that border is "self-defeating" because it kills people trying to cross it!

The debate is what amounts to RATIONAL use of our money. We don't just throw money at a problem because a man who doesn't read thinks simply and sells his base on a pipedream.

Then at that point we will be very powerful and will be able to extend aid and help others to get on their feet. No more frede handouts but handups.

You DO realize, right, that we encourage illegal immigration by hiring illegals in the US because they work much cheaper than Americans and do some of the worst jobs we can't imagine doing for pennies, right?

Don't be so quick to cast stones OUTWARD when in reality WE are the problem in many cases.

Visit Southern California. Go to literally ANY HOME DEPOT parking lot in the morning on ANY DAY. You will see a bunch of illegals on the edges of the parking lot waiting for AMERICAN CONTRACTORS to pick them up to take them to a worksite.

That was a very common site in the town I used to live in.

Oh, yeah, and if you want to see a group of FAMILY-ORIENTED, RELIGIOUS people who are intensely community focused and have a lower per capita crime rate than regular Americans look to communities that are loaded up with illegal immigrants.

These people are actually good people. I wish they didn't come in illegally, but when here they aren't as much of a threat as we are told.

This is my southern fried view of how it should be. IDK, Maybe I should run for President.

No, you probably shouldn't. We need people who understand the real world, not just "southern fried common horse sense" which seems to be anything but. Heck, I've got a PhD and a lifetime of experience analyzing data and information and there's no way _I_ could run the country.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's interesting that the dates of decline and then increase are the dates when the economy was good and when the economy began decline into the recession.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm there with ya.

And if horses ran the country that would be good reasoning. In point of fact the reason America supports a lot of whom they do is because it is in America's direct interest. Our support of Germany and Japan in terms of defense was precisely so they WOULDN'T re-establish a military and become a regional threat. That helps stabilize OUR interests in trade etc.

We'd MUCH rather have a stable Europe that is a solid, first world trading partner than have to keep sending our troops over there to quiet their in-fighting, AND we want NATO because Russia (certainly at one time) was our primary threat to our "existence".

Israel? We need an ally in a region that is EXTREMELY important (or was at one time) to our fuel needs. (Plus we want to encourage more democracies)

That's the point: there's no real reason according to countless experts to put a fence 2000 miles along the entire border. A lot of that border is "self-defeating" because it kills people trying to cross it!

The debate is what amounts to RATIONAL use of our money. We don't just throw money at a problem because a man who doesn't read thinks simply and sells his base on a pipedream.

You DO realize, right, that we encourage illegal immigration by hiring illegals in the US because they work much cheaper than Americans and do some of the worst jobs we can't imagine doing for pennies, right?

Don't be so quick to cast stones OUTWARD when in reality WE are the problem in many cases.

Visit Southern California. Go to literally ANY HOME DEPOT parking lot in the morning on ANY DAY. You will see a bunch of illegals on the edges of the parking lot waiting for AMERICAN CONTRACTORS to pick them up to take them to a worksite.

That was a very common site in the town I used to live in.

Oh, yeah, and if you want to see a group of FAMILY-ORIENTED, RELIGIOUS people who are intensely community focused and have a lower per capita crime rate than regular Americans look to communities that are loaded up with illegal immigrants.

These people are actually good people. I wish they didn't come in illegally, but when here they aren't as much of a threat as we are told.

No, you probably shouldn't. We need people who understand the real world, not just "southern fried common horse sense" which seems to be anything but. Heck, I've got a PhD and a lifetime of experience analyzing data and information and there's no way _I_ could run the country.
I agree with a lot of what you say here and I wouldn't know anything anyway as I have never left these woods and don't know what it is like out there.
I consider that a blessing myself. So however it works out I pray that God is addressed first and foremost and that prayer is what drives all things.
In the meantime I will keep my squirrel guns and stay in the mountains :]

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0