Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The only egyptian thing I had apart from that freaky necklace thing my sister gave me was egyptian cotton sheets.

I just came across a postcard my sister sent me from Egypt from 2004. She did all the touristy things including going up Mt Sinai in the middle of the night.
However that Mt Sinai isn't the one Moses went up as in the Bible its in Arabia.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
It's unfortunate that your K-12 schools didn't make the effort to go beyond the textbook.

The high school I went to "Social studies/history" was the equalizing class. Most of our classes were divided into accelerated/normal/remedial (designated by k/l/m...like we didn't know the difference). Social Studies/history was the class that wasn't divided so that we got exposure to all types of learners. The end result was it was the one class I saw the top students all sleep through because they were so bored....since the reality of the issue is that teachers have to teach to the lower side of the learners. I think "health" was the other one...but that was only half a semester. The football player who sat behind me spent the semester trying to figure out how to undo my bra with a flick of the wrist (and through my shirt) since it had 3 rows of hooks instead of 1 or 2. Yeah...such intellectual stimulation.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Most of our classes were divided into accelerated/normal/remedial (designated by k/l/m...like we didn't know the difference).
Ha, I had the same experience. I went to a small grade school, so it wasn't until 8th grade that we were broken up based on ability. We had ambiguous group names, but the decision process was obvious.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I have a lot of books on Egypt...primarily ancient because I used them to teach my kids but some modern since that is important. Videos on both time periods and some related to Bible history. We have some craft kits that teach (on a very basic level) how to write in hieroglyphics. I am sure we have some other museum trinkets related to museum visits. And somewhere is a game that was played in ancient Egypt. And then there are the photos, t-shirts and a trinket my husband bought when in Egypt while in the Navy. I would like to visit some day.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Ha, I had the same experience. I went to a small grade school, so it wasn't until 8th grade that we were broken up based on ability. We had ambiguous group names, but the decision process was obvious.

I think school's only job is to give the overview...there isn't time to cover everything. Our real education starts after we graduate and are allowed to think for ourselves.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The football player who sat behind me spent the semester trying to figure out how to undo my bra with a flick of the wrist (and through my shirt) since it had 3 rows of hooks instead of 1 or 2. Yeah...such intellectual stimulation.
Ew. I'm glad I was only with girls at that point.
The only egyptian thing I had apart from that freaky necklace thing my sister gave me was egyptian cotton sheets.
I went through a phase once or twice where I was very much into ancient Egyptian history. I have a few children's books and knick-knacks lying around.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Ew. I'm glad I was only with girls at that point.

It was actually amusing because there was no way I was going to let him. It forced him to think about physics in a way. It was also one of the few experiences where I got to interact in class with someone who really was just skating by in school. I also probably taught him everything he needed to know to pass that class. It was a good learning experience for me as well since I was usually around the high achievers and that isn't really a very realistic version of life.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think school's only job is to give the overview...there isn't time to cover everything. Our real education starts after we graduate and are allowed to think for ourselves.
Your educational institutions didn't want you to think for yourself? :frowning:

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Your educational institutions didn't want you to think for yourself? :frowning:

No educational institution really wants you to think for yourself. There isn't time in the classroom and the reality is that most instructors do have a world view that they have a hard time getting past.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I'm sorry that you've been led to think that by your experiences.

I have multiple degrees from multiple universities. It is more about having enough life experience to recognize it.

Critical thinking appears to be the big push now but this more about finding logic than independent thinking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I watched Patterns of Evidence: Exodus on netflix the other night. It is pretty fascinating. I didn't know that they Egyptian scholars are so hung up in putting the Exodus in the New Kingdom because I have always thought it fit better in the Middle Kingdom and now there is evidence leaning that way. Shows how long it has been since I research this topic.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Found a book at the library called EGYPTOLOGY why people are so fascinated with ancient egypt esp the brits, whose museums are full of artifacts they plundered from there.

Im going to read that. I wonder if it was the ten plagues that really brought egyot to its knees or if egyptians themselves interpet history a bit differently. Obviously its not a great power anymore except for the tourist dollar.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Found a book at the library called EGYPTOLOGY why people are so fascinated with ancient egypt esp the brits, whose museums are full of artifacts they plundered from there.
Is it the one from the Ologies Series? They have a lot of great books. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

Im going to read that. I wonder if it was the ten plagues that really brought egyot to its knees or if egyptians themselves interpet history a bit differently. Obviously its not a great power anymore except for the tourist dollar.

Egyptian history has no accepted evidence of the Hebrew Exodus (I believe it is there but they are looking in the wrong time period)...however, they were a power civilization for many years even after the Hebrews left. The Exodus had nothing to do with the fall of Egyptian empire.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wasnt it the romans who conquered egypt and the rest of the world?
I didnt do classical history in school so, my historical knowledge isnt that great.

However theres this huge book I saw in the christian bookstore thats got bible timelines and that would be interesting to look at.

The egypt-omania book is by Bob Brier, subtitle 'our three thousand year obssession with the Land of the Pharoahs. '

The ten plagues is probably the dark period of history nobody wants to write about. Like the black plagues of the middle ages, and recently in our country the last century all those flu outbreaks. Thousands died in those, esp children. Things like tb, typhoid. Polio were common.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Halfway through egyptomania book.
Its short on history the actual ancient empire but long on what people discovered and were obsessed about after Howard Carter made his 'wonderful' dsicovery in the 1920s.

The interesting thing is, the Freemasons really took to egyptian culture and appropriated it for their own use. I do know of some cultish groups that require devotees to make pilgrimages to the pyramids because they believe it has special powers.

Obelisks were another craze.

I think people nowadays have memory sticks instead of time capsules. But imagine, you want to preserve contmeporary culture, what would you put in a time capsule or tomb for the after life. Or rather for the grave robbers that will come if you pack it with earthly treasures.

The whole mummy thing is kind of necrophilia, but they bodies are so well preserved that they lose their sense of ghoulishness if they were actually decomposed and just bones. Still dont know how I feel about them being unearthed and gawked at though.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It says in the bible that Moses gave up his life of being a Pharoahs daughters son in egypt for a life of faith in God. Hebrews. Hes listed as one of the greats.

I often think that, when you come out of the world fo follow Jesus people think you nuts and wonder how on earth you survive without money, fame or power...

But money, fame and power is nothing compared to faith, hope and love.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0