Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hello! I am proposing a debate on the Egalitarian vs. Complementarian views on marriage. I would take the 'Egalitarian' position - being that Christ is the true 'Head' in marriage, and that mutual submission is commanded in scripture. I would also submit that there is no basis for the 'Complementarian' (hierarchical) view, where the husband is the 'head' (i.e. 'leader') in marriage. My opponent is free to redefine his/her position from the one submitted above for the 'Complementarian' position.

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This sounds like it will be a debate where both sides are wrong!

That's true of most debates as most resolutions have three sides - yours, mine and the truth. :D

@ImaginaryDay I'm considering your proposal, but I am unfamiliar with the operational nature of "formal" debates on this forum. Do we follow standard rules of debate, including time limits, multiple speakers, assertive burden of proof, etc?

Reactions: Oafman
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hello! I am proposing a debate on the Egalitarian vs. Complementarian views on marriage. I would take the 'Egalitarian' position - being that Christ is the true 'Head' in marriage, and that mutual submission is commanded in scripture. I would also submit that there is no basis for the 'Complementarian' (hierarchical) view, where the husband is the 'head' (i.e. 'leader') in marriage. My opponent is free to redefine his/her position from the one submitted above for the 'Complementarian' position.

I'll take the complementarian view. So long as we're both claiming that our views are exegetical. In other words, I assume this is a debate about Scripture and doctrine?

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I can join and take the Complementarian view. I believe that the husband is the head of the couple and that his wife must submit herself to him — which also, on the other hand, requires that the husband love his wife. However, I would not appreciate calling it ‘hierarchical’ (which sounds too weird), although I do recognise, to some extent, some form of hierarchy.

Meanwhile, though, I see that @Tree of Life has answered as well. Has anything started yet?

I would be willing to do it, but I must depart for vacation of 30 July. Can we do it until then? Perhaps three rounds (as the standard), three days each? Or shall we postpone it until September?

Upvote 0

YodaMama

Jul 22, 2017
Orange County
✟8,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Guess we should be "complegalitarian"

Upvote 0