Not open for further replies.

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so in that case we should probably ignore attempts to turn this in to a comp vs egal debate.

I agree..if some people cant even stand that others want to talk about egalitarian marriage(includign dispelling myths) without jumping in and saying "man leader HEAD woman s word" then I guess it goes to show something about well...the person and I should ignore it..:cool:

Dallas

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My point is that there isn't any more difference between a man and a woman than there is between a man and another man. Personality, needs, mentality, physical needs, those are all going to be different from person to person, regardless of sex.

This does, imo, a disservice to the link that you posted and to the author's intent. I read the first of the series, even though you chose to link to the second. The writer of the blog (or whatever it is) even recognizes the context of the Genesis passage "male and female He created them". There is a distinct and inherent difference that cannot be ignored, so this point is moot.

If a man and a man can live together and make daily decisions about their shared home and joint responsibilities without dubbing one of them the "head" then we should be able to do that between a man and a woman.

None of the differences that you listed are only true of opposite-sex relationships, they are true of same-sex relationships (non-sexual) too.

So why can't the same skills be used?

Quite simple. Marriage is not a 'room-mate' agreement, but a covenant relationship where the 'rules of engagement' as it were are quite different biblically.

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
''Egalitarians don’t take the Bible seriously''

that's one I've encountered a few times. I think this N.T. Wright quote is appropriate

to continue with my thoughts on this.

John Piper recently made a speech promoting a masculine Christianity. He cherry picked verses which refer to God in masculine terms and ignored those where God is referred to as a mother, a midwife etc. He picks out examples of men in leadership in the Bible, and ignores examples of women in leadership.

He then goes on to infer that certain noble human characteristics are peculiar to men only, courage, tender-hearted strength, a willingness to sacrifice, non-complaining, non-self pitying and he falls in to that oh so unfortunate trap of allowing his 20th century culturally conditioned view of masculinity to inform his view of what a leader should looks like and not just that but what authentic biblical Christianity should look like.

He does everything that he and others like him have accused egalitarians of doing, cherry picking verses, and imposing his own culturally conditioned worldly views on the text.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

John Piper recently made a speech promoting the a masculine Christianity. He cherry picked verses which refer to God in masculine terms and ignored those where God is referred to as a mother, a midwife etc. He picks out examples of men in leadership in the Bible, and ignores examples of women in leadership.

He then goes on to infer that certain noble human characteristics are peculiar to men only, courage, tender-hearted strength, a willingness to sacrifice, non-complaining, non-self pitying and he falls in to that oh so unfortunate trap of allowing his 20th century culturally conditioned view of masculinity to inform his view of what a leader should looks like and not just that but what authentic biblical Christianity should look like.

He does everything that he and others like him have accused egalitarians of doing, cherry picking verses, and imposing his own culturally conditioned worldly views on the text.

Exaclty ..to argue DOWN Egal it cant be "due to its cherry picking" when well..thats what the other is and what the others do..to some degree ..

Thats why I think ot get it right it has to be the BIGGER picture and overal all theme and message..not "a verse"..some litteral some not..some apply some dont or lets say dont apply in the same context etc...

Adn I do think HAPPINESS is imprtant to God..he is our father..what father doesnt desire happiness for their children..and no I dont mean at ANY cost..I think the word is "abundance"..abundance of good thngs of course..

Dallas

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

John Piper recently made a speech promoting a masculine Christianity. He cherry picked verses which refer to God in masculine terms and ignored those where God is referred to as a mother, a midwife etc. He picks out examples of men in leadership in the Bible, and ignores examples of women in leadership.

I'd like to see the video. Somehow I suspect I'd come away with a different interpretation of his message than what I read in the second paragraph, and the first.

Upvote 0

SearchingStudent

Apr 29, 2012
✟16,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I would guess we have it completely backwards as my husband is the one following me across the country for my job!

Seriously though...there have been a handful of times where he's "had the final say" and it usually involved something having to do with pets. I'd be the crazy cat lady if he'd let me get away with it. On the flip side, I've had the final say a time or two also. Like...junking his truck (that needed less than 400.00 in repairs) in favor of a new truck, deciding to sell our home instead of renting it out.

I think "marriage style" also depends on the personalities of the people involved. I'm logical, cynical and not terribly emotional. He's more emotional. It works. It's worked this long...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I would guess we have it completely backwards as my husband is the one following me across the country for my job!

Seriously though...there have been a handful of times where he's "had the final say" and it usually involved something having to do with pets. I'd be the crazy cat lady if he'd let me get away with it. On the flip side, I've had the final say a time or two also. Like...junking his truck (that needed less than 400.00 in repairs) in favor of a new truck, deciding to sell our home instead of renting it out.

I think "marriage style" also depends on the personalities of the people involved. I'm logical, cynical and not terribly emotional. He's more emotional. It works. It's worked this long...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

See I think thats more liek you defer to oen another at variious times..rather than you are his 'leader"..and thats a given ..or you are automatically the final say as you have been "appointed"..

Dallas

Upvote 0

SearchingStudent

Apr 29, 2012
✟16,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh heck no, I'm not "the leader" and neither is he. It's more that we're both adults, we are capable of handling our business and compromising when necessary. MOST of the time, there's no conflict and we just roll merrily along. It's those few times when there's conflict that we've learned to work it all out instead of one or the other demanding anything. I love that man to the moon and beyond...beyond all reason or reality. We're perfect for each other and what works for us probably wouldn't work for anyone else!

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh heck no, I'm not "the leader" and neither is he. It's more that we're both adults, we are capable of handling our business and compromising when necessary. MOST of the time, there's no conflict and we just roll merrily along. It's those few times when there's conflict that we've learned to work it all out instead of one or the other demanding anything. I love that man to the moon and beyond...beyond all reason or reality. We're perfect for each other and what works for us probably wouldn't work for anyone else!

Man to the moon and beyond!:cool:

Dallas

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.