Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello fellow Egalitarian Christians. I have been a lurker in this forum for some time now, but after reading a few of the newer threads, I decided to finally participate in this forum. I read the SOP and I wholeheartedly agree with its faith tenets. My husband and I both believe that a husband and wife are equal in marriage and this is how our marriage has been for almost 25 years.

Anyway, you can call me Red Fox. If it's alright, I would like to become an active member of this faith group and fellowship with other Egalitarian Christians. I would also like to meet the other members here too. So, if you don't mind, would you please introduce yourself? I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PloverWing

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am a 74 year old retired scientist, mathematician and educator, married 45 years with two adult daughters. I have frequently termed myself a feminist but egalitarian might be even more accurate. I am also a liberal or progressive Christian. In order to preserve my spiritual, moral and intellectual integrity I am what I am.

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

JRichard68

There is too much butter on those trays
May 28, 2017
Vancouver
✟32,163.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm a bit of a lurker myself, as some of my views wouldn't really fit with the SoP for the forum. I watch and learn, though. My opinion is that Egalitarian Christians have a more complete view of the marriage relationship, especially as concerns Paul's model of marriage 'roles' (if you will) in Ephesians. My personal view is that Eph. 5 needs to be taken as a whole, because there are concepts and ideas that are addressed early in the chapter that are carried forward. Submission certainly is mutual, and it is the greatest 'ideal' for the Christian marriage.

Outside of that, though, I see both the Egalitarian and Complementarian views as attempts at overcoming power imbalance in relationship. So, even though the egalitarian view is more correct, neither should be discounted if the result is the imbalance being corrected.
Hence, why my views sometimes don't fit the SoP :)
But, when I am able to contribute, I do.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm a 56-year-old computer science professor, originally from coastal Virginia, now living in New Jersey. My profile picture shows a bit of the beach that's a couple of miles from where I grew up. I'm married, and I'm the mother of three high school/college-aged children.

I grew up in a conservative church, and I struggled mightily with my gender identity growing up: What did it mean that I was female, and yet was good at math and logic, and not particularly interested in the domestic arts? I have become more confidently feminist as I've gotten older; the experience of cradling a baby in one arm while writing lecture notes on finite automata with the other arm helped to clarify things for me. :)

As a parent and teacher, I have made an effort to communicate to my children and students that various skills and opportunities are found in both men and women; men and women alike are capable of mathematics, art, repairing things, cooking things, nurturing babies, preaching sermons, and so on.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Emerald. :wave:

I am a 62 year old former engineer, now a cartographer. I have been married 40 years (in less than 2 weeks) to a girl I was set up with when I was in college. DW and I both came from a Wesleyan Pentecostal (like Assy of God) back ground. For the last 20 years we have been in the Messianic community. (long story)

We have 4 children, all grown and married; and 6 grandkids pictured in my avatar.

Growing up, my dad was the exact opposite of "egalitarian." Seeing how that turned out for him (not good) I went a different direction.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
55 years old. Married. Daughter in college, son at home. Electrical engineer by degree, wife mechanical engineer by degree. I agree with the statement for this forum as it is written, though in some areas I am a bit more orthodox than most of the regulars in here. There was a time, not too long ago, when I would have said I was complementarian but I have come to realize I define that differently than those who most prominently claim to be so (I tend to think they are really patriarchal). I agree with JRichard that Ephesians 5 must be taken as a whole. So I fit here on the fringe a bit perhaps, but respect the views of the regulars.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am a traveller. Im learning. Ive already witnessed a lot. Ive made some terrible mistakes. I carry a lot inside me. I am a witness and I am wading against a tide. I try to take what I know and think and make myself a better person from it. I'm angry and I am a gentle and kind and a quiet person. I am fiery and lack self control but yet I have more control then most. I'm young. I see a road for myself. I will listen to all. I see and learn. What I think today because I am totally convinced of myself, may well change tomorrow. Each day I am likely to take the principles I think apply to this world and my life, including the bible, and I shall challenge every element of it and possibly discard what I believe simply doesn't fit. I will accept new evidence if it is sound and alter my opinions accordingly so that ultimately I end up with a view to life, religion and myself which is totally eclectic.

I like this section because as much as I seem feisty sometimes I am actually brittle and this is a haven.

Upvote 0