Education of Women

Solace Girl

May 6, 2004
Illinois
✟324.00
Faith
Catholic
I am posting this here because I think this denomination is the closest to what I wish to ask about. I've done a lot of thinking about the positive role Protestantism played in regard to the education of women. I agree with the historian Gerda Lerner that the need for women to be able to read the Bible and teach/raise their children properly was a great step forward in the education of women. When I watch historical shows, I hear that in Puritan England allowed women to be educated even at the collegiate level.

Is anyone here knowledgeable about that time period and can tell me more about women's education?

Is the education of women still important in modern Presbyterianism?

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Presbyterianism indeed fosters the education of women. I am a board member and faculty mentor at The North American Reformed Seminary, where several women are enrolled, for example. Women are enrolled at most of the conservative Reformed seminaries in programs suited to persons not intending a role as an ordained servant, which is limited to men only.

Some women who are widely read within Presbyterianism include:

Starr Meades: Training Hearts Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Shorter Catechism

Nancy Pearcy: TOTAL TRUTH

Anne Hutchinson

Marguerite de Navarre

Marie Dentière

Carolyn Custis James (books here)

Upvote 0