• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Economic Disparity

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by JackRT, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Doulosiesou

Doulosiesou Member

+84
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I found this image a long time ago but it's still applicable today, it shows how the capital markets have become completely out of whack with the real economy, this is caused by unsecured lending by banks, and by deficit spending by governments.

[​IMG]

So that blue line is like the real economy, then the black line is financial engineering which makes CEOs very wealthy and pensioners feel wealthy but they aren't because the red line is what will eventually happen.

2. Yarddog

Yarddog Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,458
    Catholic
    Married
    That some people have been very successful, money wise, in their chosen career.
    Depends.
    Depends.
    You give too little info to judge.

There are many very rich people that contribute enormously to our society while others are leeches. An industry may pay its Corporate head very lucratively but also pay its other employees fairly, as well. If this is the case, employees are usually satisfied.

Other Corporations fail to pay their employees a fair living wage and if this type of corp. becomes the rule it is only a matter of time before people begin to rebel.

Hopefully not a revolution but instead employees take advantage of unionization. Unions are responsible for so many things that people have taken for granted over the years.

3. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+12,139
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Most of those employees who are dead set against unions fail to understand the circumstances and history behind the union movement. Union members fought and even died for working conditions and wages that are taken for granted today. Political moves to dismantle unions are ill conceived and very worrisome to me. In massive wage disparity we are already seeing a return to the days of the robber baron.

4. com7fy8

com7fy8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,378
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Part of it can be that CEO's are getting a lot because companies are competing to get them. Even charitable organizations want to get competent CEO's; and they might need to pay a lot to get one who would gladly go elsewhere for more money.

5. Yarddog

Yarddog Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,458
    Catholic
    Married
    As a retired Union President, I agree totally.

6. Doulosiesou

Doulosiesou Member

+84
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Unions are history more or less because unions started when the industrial revolution required human workers. Automation is eliminating that.

7. compassion 4 humanity

compassion 4 humanity Active Member

+193
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    \

You don't know what an ad hominem attack is.

Leave rich people alone. They worked hard for their success and deserve every penny.

8. Doulosiesou

Doulosiesou Member

+84
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    What if they got rich from fraud, waste and abuse?

9. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+12,139
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    probably about half of rich people inherited their wealth and did absolutely nothing to deserve it.

Those who worked hard and were successful in producing a good or service that was of benefit to humanity deserve generous compensation. $100,000 a day? That is far more than generous. There is a word ... it's coming to me ... yeah ... there it is .... it is called "greed".

10. Yekcidmij

Yekcidmij Polymath

+936
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm pretty skeptical. The assumption is that the stock market mean reverts to the "mean" on that chart. But why think that? And why think it reverts to the arithmetic mean vs something else like a geometric mean?

I'm not even sure that the "mean" line is really the arithmetic mean of the Dow prices, but I'm just eyeballing it so maybe it's right.

There are statistical tests where you can test for mean reversion. Just looking at the chart it doesn't look like a mean reverting process, but the fact that the chart maker didn't do the test indicates to me that they probably don't know what they're doing.

Additionally, it looks like the prediction on the chart for a depressing in mid-2016 didn't pan out.

11. Yekcidmij

Yekcidmij Polymath

+936
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    What's the word for deciding how much is appropriate to make in a day?

Who gets to decide how much is appropriate for compensation? Who gets to determine what is a "benefit to humanity?" And why?

12. Phil 1:21

Phil 1:21 Well-Known Member

+4,328
    Christian
    Married
    Good for them. They obviously made better financial decisions in life than I did.

“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” -Exodus 20:17

13. Almost there

Almost there Well-Known Member

+1,133
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Ask their stockholders. It's their money.

14. Almost there

Almost there Well-Known Member

+1,133
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    My take is similar to this one:

15. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+5,075
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    The problem is a simple one; countries with huge disparities in income become poorer. Those with less disparity are more prosperous.
    [​IMG]

It's no coincidence that as economic disparity increased in the United States, its relative wealth declined.