Visit site
✟279,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's pretty common for people to think of Economia as laxness and Akriveia as strictness, but this is not really how we ought to look at it. Economia simply refers to the managing of a household, in this case the household of God. Within that, Akriveia can mean strictness in how a bishop does that, but it's still Economia whether the bishop is strict or loose with how he applies the canon. The point being that it is his job as bishop to determine what will be best for his flock. This can be hard for us to accept when we think that the bishop's decisions are not really what's best for the people, but that's also not really our decision. Pastorally speaking, and in my experience, I think that often the gentle approach is more effective with people than being unyielding, but I also think that people can then come to expect gentleness in everything. I think when you are usually gentle, harshness in a case or two can really drive home the importance of an issue. Those who are usually harsh often get ignored by most people except those who are harsh themselves. If we look to the example of our Lord, He was unyielding in the truth, but generally gentle in applying standards to people (which is why He was seen as a friend of tax collectors and harlots) but when He took a stronger stance against people (such as the money changers in the temple) it stood out all the more because He was not always that way.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's pretty common for people to think of Economia as laxness and Akriveia as strictness, but this is not really how we ought to look at it. Economia simply refers to the managing of a household, in this case the household of God. Within that, Akriveia can mean strictness in how a bishop does that, but it's still Economia whether the bishop is strict or loose with how he applies the canon. The point being that it is his job as bishop to determine what will be best for his flock. This can be hard for us to accept when we think that the bishop's decisions are not really what's best for the people, but that's also not really our decision. Pastorally speaking, and in my experience, I think that often the gentle approach is more effective with people than being unyielding, but I also think that people can then come to expect gentleness in everything. I think when you are usually gentle, harshness in a case or two can really drive home the importance of an issue. Those who are usually harsh often get ignored by most people except those who are harsh themselves. If we look to the example of our Lord, He was unyielding in the truth, but generally gentle in applying standards to people (which is why He was seen as a friend of tax collectors and harlots) but when He took a stronger stance against people (such as the money changers in the temple) it stood out all the more because He was not always that way.

economia is also being more hardline than the standard as well, if the soul needs it.

Upvote 0