Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've made a few purchases on eBay, and been pleased with the results. I chose sellers with a high number of good ratings.

One of the purchases was electronic -- a card for my old computer, something that is no longer available new -- and I received it still wrapped in its original packaging. An electronics store had it and sent it to me, so I was happy.

Upvote 0

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The reason that you don't want to buy electronics used is because it comes as-is with no warranty. You have no idea what condition it's in, and you have no way of returning it if it's in bad condition. Basically, you get ripped off.

That's a trick used computer stores use when it comes to selling used CD-ROM drives and other peripherals.

Upvote 0

BeautyForAshes

Senior Veteran
Sep 19, 2004
Kansas
✟20,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The only thing electronic I've bought off ebay has been cell phones, my PDA, and an Ipod. I only had one instance where I returned a cell phone that didn't meet my expectation. Here are my tips:

1. Check feedback!

2. For me, when it comes to electronics, I prefer to buy from a person as opposed to some company. At least I know the history (for the most part) unlike a company who's merchandise could be stolen.

3. Do research on the product you plan to buy. Sometimes, once shipping/insurance is added, you really may not be gettingn a good deal. In my opinion, if I can buy it for $50 or less in the store brand new, the auction isn't worth it.

4. Make sure that purchase from someone that has a return policy - just in case it doesn't meet your expectation.

Upvote 0

fishstix

Senior Veteran
Jan 18, 2004
✟19,629.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I've bought quite a few electronic items on ebay - mostly obsolete video game cartridges and that sort of thing. Most of the transactions went very well.

As others have said, be sure to check feedback before bidding. Stay away from people who have had considerable negative feedback and from those who haven't been on ebay long enough to get much feedback.

In case of a problem, familiarize yourself with both ebay and paypal's systems for reporting people, and especially with the timeframe that you would have to report things in. Chances are that you won't have to report someone if you are careful about who you buy from, but it's a good idea to at least know how.

Before you bid on something, email the person and ask them about their policy if the item doesn't work when it arrives or if there is some other problem. Some people give full refunds, others do partial refunds, others require you to send the item back, etc. Also, ask the person what shape the item is in, when they last tested it to see if it works, etc. It's best to know before you bid. It's also important to know how much you will be paying for shipping before you bid.

Lastly, make sure that you know how you are going to pay for the item. Paypal, cheque, money order etc. Not every seller accepts every payment method, so be aware of what they will and won't take.

Upvote 0

Eric10

Jan 13, 2006
London Ontario!
✟7,727.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's perfectly safe as long as you're:
1) buying
2) buying from someone with a high rating.

If you're selling, there is no guarentee of anything. Paypal can screw you like you couldn't imagine. Paypal is a thiefs middle man, and they charge you for being robbed to boot!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

candid_chick007

Contributor
May 22, 2005
3rd pebble from the shiny star
✟6,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
intricatic said:
The reason that you don't want to buy electronics used is because it comes as-is with no warranty. You have no idea what condition it's in, and you have no way of returning it if it's in bad condition. Basically, you get ripped off.

That's a trick used computer stores use when it comes to selling used CD-ROM drives and other peripherals.
yeah my folks were warning about buying used electronics, but do u think its ok to do so if the seller accepts returns?

Upvote 0

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
candid_chick007 said:
yeah my folks were warning about buying used electronics, but do u think its ok to do so if the seller accepts returns?
Depends on the conditions of the return. :D

But yes, if it's reasonable, I'd say go for it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums