treefencecar

Dec 1, 2016
GB
✟7,576.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I became a vegetarian a few years ago for animal welfare reasons but continued eating dairy and eggs. My girlfriend said she had no issue with this change in my diet but said she would have an issue if I also cut out dairy and eggs.

About a month ago I read that christians should be vegans - links below. Since then I stopped eating dairy. At first my fiancée thought I had simply changed my diet but now she has realised I have in fact cut out dairy. She worries it will affect my health and she worries that it will affect our pastimes. For example our main pastime is trying different foods such as ice creams and cheeses. As I don't drink alcohol and don't eat meat this pastime has already been affected.

She is very unhappy with my decision but she does not know it is due to my faith as she does not know I am religious. She knows I believe in God but she does not know that this forms a big part of my life.

She is very firmly telling me that she has no problem with me reducing dairy in my diet but she does not want to be in a relationship with me if don't eat dairy at all. This puts me at odds with my faith. We could split up but we are expecting a child.

I suppose my question is - should I simply reduce dairy in my diet rather than cut it out altogether? Is there any part of the Bible which supports this?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I became a vegetarian a few years ago for animal welfare reasons but continued eating dairy and eggs. My girlfriend said she had no issue with this change in my diet but said she would have an issue if I also cut out dairy and eggs.

About a month ago I read that christians should be vegans - links below. Since then I stopped eating dairy. At first my fiancée thought I had simply changed my diet but now she has realised I have in fact cut out dairy. She worries it will affect my health and she worries that it will affect our pastimes. For example our main pastime is trying different foods such as ice creams and cheeses. As I don't drink alcohol and don't eat meat this pastime has already been affected.

She is very unhappy with my decision but she does not know it is due to my faith as she does not know I am religious. She knows I believe in God but she does not know that this forms a big part of my life.

She is very firmly telling me that she has no problem with me reducing dairy in my diet but she does not want to be in a relationship with me if don't eat dairy at all. This puts me at odds with my faith. We could split up but we are expecting a child.

I suppose my question is - should I simply reduce dairy in my diet rather than cut it out altogether? Is there any part of the Bible which supports this?

There is no biblical prohibition about eating meat or dairy products. These are healthy foods in moderation, if you aren't allergic to any of them.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
If you are vegetarian for ethical reasons, then it is very consistent to give up dairy and eggs as well, as the same issues are present in those industries.
As a vegan, I've found relationships can be tricky, and I'm sure my husband would find it easier to cook and shop for me if I wasn't vegan, but I believe that I have a right to choose not to eat something and live by my ethics.
If I thought it was morally wrong to drink alcohol (not something I personally feel) then I would be troubled by a partner that insisted I drink.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

There are various instances in the Bible where God command people to eat meat, and Abraham served both meat and dairy to the Lord in Genesis 18, so it would be very difficult to make a case from the Bible that it is unethical to eat meat or dairy, although a case could be made against the unethical industry practices of producing meat and dairy.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Break up with her. Anyone placing such outrageous conditions on a relationship is not someone you want to be yoked with.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Follow Christ, not religion or man made Christian doctrine. I'm pretty sure Christ would eat good quality Ice cream, yoghurt and cheese amongst other things, he was called a glutton and a winebibber. We are in a fallen creation and things are not as they were, the nutrition in food is not the same, not even from 100 years ago and people who go on extreme diets end up with problems. Does GOD the Father or the Lord Jesus Christ tell you not to eat dairy or meat? Sugar will harm you more than a great many of the things you comsume. Scripture tells us extremes are not good and that things should be in moderation. How do you try to live your life, is it according to GOD's word or man's? I do not often tell a man to listen too his wife\help meet but on this one I think you should.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This might not apply, but I have many dietary restrictions in my diet but my husband has none. So sometimes like with pizza, he has his and I have mine. Other times e can find things we can eat together.

Basically, what I believe is true is that you and your fiancee should respect what you feel you each are called to and this includes how each eat. There are ways to eat vegan, cheeses and tracks that you can use to sometimes share the same meal. But if you run into something like we have: make each separately as we do. This is what respect her is all about.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I did not digest dairy well even before I gave up eating meat, eggs, and dairy. Most of the world doesn't, in fact. I think it's ridiculous to insist somebody else eat something they don't want to eat, esp. when it's very easy to live without dairy, and it isn't necessary in a healthy diet. It's manipulative and you shouldn't have to put up with it.

They do make vegan cheeses, BTW. I don't eat them anymore and they aren't the healthiest foods, but they do exist. There's a vegan Youtube chef/influencer named Miyoko that started her own dairy cheese making company and her cheese is available at Whole Foods, among other places. Violife also makes some good cheeses, their smoked provolone tastes more or less like dairy provolone.

Follow Christ, not religion or man made Christian doctrine. I'm pretty sure Christ would eat good quality Ice cream, yoghurt and cheese amongst other things, he was called a glutton and a winebibber. We are in a fallen creation and things are not as they were, the nutrition in food is not the same, not even from 100 years ago and people who go on extreme diets end up with problems. Does GOD the Father or the Lord Jesus Christ tell you not to eat dairy or meat? Sugar will harm you more than a great many of the things you comsume. Scripture tells us extremes are not good and that things should be in moderation. How do you try to live your life, is it according to GOD's word or man's? I do not often tell a man to listen too his wife\help meet but on this one I think you should.

For all we know Jesus of Nazareth was lactose intolerant. In the Middle East, the only way dairy would have been consumed was fermented, most people in that part of the world are lactose intolerant by default, as is most of the human race.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What Bible verses do you think are against dairy products or even meat? I didn’t see a link to the Christians should be vegans website.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Ok I’ve read some of the arguments for “Christians should be vegans” and they’re taking verses out of context. Here’s one example

“Jesus taught us to extend love and compassion to those who are weak, vulnerable, and different from us. As stewards of God's creation, what better way to do that than by adopting a vegan diet?”

Jesus was talking about people not animals He ate meat every single year of His life as commanded by God Himself in observation of the Passover Celebration. The Jews were not just permitted to eat meat they were commanded to. Each household was commanded to slaughter and eat one sheep or goat on the 14th day of Nisan they had to finish the whole thing in one sitting. Now if the household was too small to eat a whole goat they were permitted to share it with their neighbor. You can find this in Exodus 8.

“a vegetarian diet was God’s original design”

Completely irrelevant since God told Noah he was permitted to eat anything that lives and moves in Genesis 9:3.

“The fear of you and the terror of you will be on every beast of the earth and on every bird of the sky; with everything that creeps on the ground, and all the fish of the sea, into your hand they are given. Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭9:2-3‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

I would steer clear of PETA because they’re distorting the word of God by taking it out of context and twisting it to promote their cause.

6 Go(o)d Reasons Christians Should Be Vegan - PETA LAMBS

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you love someone, you dont go breaking up with them just because they cut dairy out of their diet!

yeah especially if they’re having a child together.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Milk and meat are spiritual metaphors as well. A land flowing with "milk and honey" was given to Israel by God. Those from northern European countries (that migrated from the middle east?) have no problem digesting dairy foods. Is there a connection? Hmmm.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
You can eat a healthy diet without dairy products. The World Health Organization recommends getting about 500mg of calcium a day, and the UK RDA is about 700 mg - far lower than the US. Some cultures subsist on less, a central African mother might eat only 300mg a day, for instance.

What's important for bone health is getting enough magnesium, vitamin D, and vitamin K... not just calcium. Those minerals and vitamins help the body to process calcium into the bones.

There have been numerous studies that show that people that consume greens, such as collard greens, kale, or bok choy, have better bone health than those that don't. Greens are a decent source of calcium and very good source of vitamin K.

Upvote 0