Eat less meat, and Sci-Fi like trends in food!

eclipsenow

God cares about his creation as well as us.
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
TOO MANY PEOPLE
Our family have stopped eating mammals because of the huge environmental impact of *industrial* livestock. The global population might be 10 billion by 2050. Even if we reduce cow burps with seaweed feed, there just isn't enough land! We already use about a third of the earth's surface in grazing. But crops only take 12% and could feed the world many times over if we stopped stuffing corn and soy into cows (that don't really want to eat it anyway). The agricultural crops themselves cause a lot of carbon emissions and environmental damage, but feeding it to cows increases environmental harm.

ANIMAL CRUELTY
If anyone saw the sheer horror of how "economic efficiency" requires animals to be slaughtered - a lot more people would eat a lot less livestock. Generally speaking, trucking to abattoirs is long and cramped and stressful. Then the slaughter processes itself is the stuff of nightmares, with animals queuing for hours and hearing the screams of animals closer to the killing. They *know* what's coming.

I'M NOT LEGALISTIC ABOUT IT
*We* don't buy lamb or beef or pork. But I'm not legalistic about it. I'm Flexitarian - if I'm at a dinner party I don't want to embarrass the hosts. I grew up eating meat and love the taste. But at home we eat mainly seafood and chicken as chickens have such small brains they're basically walking eyeballs looking for bugs to eat.

ALTERNATIVES AVAILABLE:-
* Go to Burger King and grab a Rebel burger and tell me that thing tastes like tofu!   That's a full veggie burger which means all the protein and flavour comes from the 12% of land that's crops. I could eat this for lunch every day! (If I had the money and slim waistline to allow it!   )
* Seaweed & Shellfish farms could feed the world MANY times over! These farms are amazing and restore ocean health.
* Insect-patties are a great replacement for burgers. Insects grow 10 times more protein than cows out of the same vegetation. Insects deliver 10 times the protein
* The holy grail of new food? Move over farming, here comes FERMING! This is Science-Fiction becoming fact. It could be as big a game changer as learning to farm in the first place! Read George Monbiot on Ferming.
Lab-grown food is about to destroy farming – and save the planet | George Monbiot

WHEN YOU MUST HAVE A STEAK
If cultures MUST eat livestock now and then, it should definitely be the Alan Savory "mob, mow, and move" method where the animals are eating fresh new grass every day. See his classic TED talk.
Joel Salatin of Polyface farms is also famous for this. He says, "The cow should be able to express the cowness of the cow." They mimic what used to happen with buffalo or livestock in the wild. Livestock moves around pastures like a giant 6 week clock. Every time the cows come through and graze down to the ground, the grass goes into shock and the deeper roots die off and lock carbon in the soil. Then they grow new roots, locking even more carbon in. It brings the soil back to life and the livestock love it. Here's a 13 minute summary from Australian Regenerative Farmers. But with the population soon hitting 10 or 11 billion this is more a treat than a staple.

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't eat meat but do eat chicken and fish.

Factory farming and the processes at abattoirs are just evil in my eyes.
I never missed meat when I gave it up.

You mentioned the Rebel burger ( they are at Hungry Jacks in Australia). They are so good.
I don't know if you have them available in the US supermarkets, but the Linda McCartney range of vegetarian products are really good.
There is a 1/2 lb Mozzarella burger that is delicious.

Upvote 0

Lg2000

Dec 15, 2003
L.A.
✟20,113.00
Faith
Christian
Yeah them factories crazy and eating lots of meat isnt good for us anyways.
I was on no meat for 2 months. I cheated today and had 2 pieces of salmon sushi .
I miss meat sometimes but im getting used to it. I do eat the impossible meat, i loved the burgers , but it has alot of sodium so i stopped .

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

God cares about his creation as well as us.
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0