Portland, OR
✟38,868.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A couple of weeks ago I started a new job as a network consultant for small businesses. It keeps me on the road quite a bit. I often don't know where I'll be in 2 hours, I'm constantly going from place to place. I don't even have my own desk at the office, since I'm hardly ever there :p

Anyway, although I've really enjoyed the job so far, lunches have been especially tricky. I don't really want to eat out every day, so that leaves me with bringing lunches. That's totally ok, except I don't typically have access to a fridge or microwave. So that rules out a LOT of stuff - leftovers, soup, etc.

The only thing that's worked really well was when I made a batch of Thai peanut pasta salad. But even I can't eat that every day for weeks on end. The couple of times I've brought a sandwich, it's gotten ground into pulp in my bag.

So...anyone have any bright ideas? I'm out :sorry:

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, you can continue with the sandwich idea (along with the Thai Peanut Salad). But instead of putting your sandwich in a ziploc bag, try putting it in a tupperware container.

I'm sure your wife has plenty!
You'd think right? But we seem to have a tupperware moster who keeps eating them all... that must be it... I mean it's not like FB is forgetting to bring them home with him or anything like that... :doh:

Upvote 0

whatisyourstory

Tell your story and change a life
Feb 8, 2008
Midwest
✟11,775.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You should get yourself a nice lunch bag that can keep things cold and protected during the day. Also, a nice thermos can keep soups and such nice and warm for lunch. I pack my DH's lunch every day for work and he loves it. The thermos works great for chili, soup and pasta.

Upvote 0

Black-bird fly

I'm not new. If you know me, then you know me.
May 9, 2008
Liverpool
✟8,000.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Roasted red pepper with pesto, feta and spring greens in a whole wheat pita.

grilled chicken salad

pasta salad (you can really load these up so they are like their own self contained lunch)

cream cheese and jam roll ups using a wrap of your choice. You can load these up with nuts and dried fruits for extra value.

I'm trying to think of the other yummies that my husband likes.

Since you're on the go you can totally use a real lunch sized cooler to keep things successfully cold. Hot is more of a challenge.

Upvote 0

FatBurger

14% + Jesus = victory
Site Supporter
May 12, 2004
Portland, OR
✟38,868.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a small cooler, I'm not sure why I hadn't thought of that before.

The other challenge is that most days the most convenient (or sometimes only) way is to eat in my car between stops. That makes some of these difficult, but I really appreciate the advice so far :)

Upvote 0

svl3p

Jul 27, 2006
ontario
✟8,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
one thing my husband likes a lot that makes an easy and quick lunch is pasta salad...cooked and cooled pasta (we use the coloured spirals to make it pretty), cut up cucumber, and italian dressing...no mayo so doesn't need to be kept cold..can add cubed cheese (tho i tend to add that as i go cause it gets mushy after a bit)...but nice, light, yet filling, and takes about 15 minutes to make, and easy to make a big batch...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodrockDJ

The one and only
Sep 12, 2006
PA
Visit site
✟17,406.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was just about to mention a small hard side cooler that you could tote in your car and keep everything cool and non-squished. Besides the foods mentioned already:

- Homemade stirfrys, chicken, beef, pork, whatever your preference
- fruit salads
- finger food lunch - cucumbers, mini carrots, dip, a pickle, cheese, ham, & crackers!

Upvote 0

Black-bird fly

I'm not new. If you know me, then you know me.
May 9, 2008
Liverpool
✟8,000.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm trying to think of things that will pack a punch full of energy in a short time for you since it sounds like you really have to eat on the go.

You could do hummus & veggies.
Hard boiled egg or egg salad

You could make a really loaded smoothy in the a.m. toss it in a thermos and work on it throughout the day munchinb on peanut butter crackers when you get a chance.

Upvote 0

jelvenko

Veteran
Oct 4, 2005
Florida
✟11,559.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My hubby is a picky eater, so it's always difficult for me to think of new things that can be prepared ahead of time for him to take to work for lunch. (thankfully he does have access to a fridge and microwave, so that helps some...)

I have an excellent recipe for Salmon Loaf that is good hot, or cold. Might also make good sandwiches... (Haven't tried it though to find out for sure.) If you want the recipe just PM me. I have it on a recipe website and can send you the link.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was going to suggest the small cooler idea. My husband has one he practically uses as a briefcase, he takes it everywhere he goes. He packs his lunch and a bunch of caffeinated drinks, a protein drink, and uses a few of those gel-packs to keep it cold. It's got pockets on the outside where he keeps papers he needs for work, spare keys, whatever.

For lunches, he has access to a microwave, so he'll get a box of Taquitos from Costco and pack one or two of them in a ziplock with some shredded cheese, and just heat them up on a paper plate. When he's going to be on the road and not have a microwave, he'll pack a sandwich, or a bag of carrots and sliced tomatos, or some lunch meat and cheese in ziplocks.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,137.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If things get mushy, try packing them separately until you are ready to mix them...ie mustard on sandwiches, the cheese in the salads. As long as it is not needed for the cooking or blending, it can be added later. I prefer to add my salad dressing right before I eat.

Upvote 0