Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I must say it has been a while since I had posted anything here. And I am sure that some of you probably wondered where little wee me had gone to. Let's put it this way. I took a break. However still looking for the truth. I understand that many say they have the truth but is it really God's truth?

Anyway, before I start my question I wanted to say hi to everyone and that I have missed all of you.

And when did CF start having CEO Advisors? Just curious as I was reading someone's posting that ended up being closed by a CEO Advisor. Oh well.

Okay, now the question.

I have been reading some info here and there with regards rather we should have the mindset of the Eastern mindset when reading the bible vs to having the Western mindset.

Now in my thinking both mindsets have some very good points, however on both sides there is something lacking. One has more knowledge than the other and the other has more action. The one who has a lot of knowledge seem to be lacking in doing the action of what they have learned. And the other that is doing more action instead of knowing. At least this is what I have read and understood to be true. There needs to be a balance.

Yet I do agree that we should be able to understand the bible from the Eastern mindset because it was written by Jewish people. I understand also that when it came to the NT that the Greek mindset had crept in and slightly changed the thought process. Again this is my understanding.

Now I do know however that most of us live in the Western countries. So therefore our mindset is going to be different than the Eastern mindset. We have our way of doing things, how we think, how we talk and respond. How we receive truth.

Yet I have found that the Western mindset has so much changed the whole meaning of the bible. This I can agree that is what we have done.

So I guess my question would be do we understand the bible from an Eastern mindset or a Western mindset? Because the two cultures are completely different from one another.

Many blessings to you all.

Moriah Ruth

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I agree ... Scripture was written by authors with an ancient middle-eastern mindset while most in Christendom today approach the same writings with a modern western mindset.

I also agree that the ancient middle-eastern perspective focused on faithfulness through obedience ("action" as you called it), while the modern western perspective largely changed that to faith & belief ("knowledge"). Unfortunately that shift has birthed new denominational factions as the texts were re-interpreted, many (in my opinion) to the point of heresy in the eyes of the middle-eastern ancients.

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Netzarim,

You stated, "Unfortunately that shift has birthed new denominational factions as the texts were re-interpreted, many (in my opinion) to the point of heresy in the eyes of the middle-eastern ancients."

I do agree with you here. Thus the reason for so many denominations, such as Luther, Reformed, Baptists, Pentecostals, etc. And neither one can come to an agreement on the word of God. I find there is so much debates that it causes arguments, contention, strife and division. They cannot agree on any one thing.

Moriah Ruth

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
One of the fascinations I have with continued learning about the eastern mindset is that cultural impact on the setting in which the Word of God was spoken. Not that God's Word can not transcend any setting in which it is spoken, but that somethings do get lost in the translation by the translator who is of a certain mindset as to what he thinks it should mean. It is a learning process, and with the Lord's guidance I will continue to grown in His Wisdom, knowledge, and guidance. What anyone throws on your plate, take it with a grain of salt, lots of prayer over it, and study for yourself to see if it is so.

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Visionary,

You are so right. Yet even with different bible translations and commentaries, yes it is someone else's interpretation to it, however this too brings confusion, strife, contention, and divisions.

One will say this and the other will say that and this one will say, "This is wrong and that is wrong", or, "I am right and you are wrong". I have heard lately even among the Christians that if one sees their interpretation to a scripture verse than they are told they are teaching false doctrine. So really who is right? Or should I say who really has the truth? God does of course.

However I do see what you are saying Visionary, because I myself have learned much from others interpretation. And yes, we just need to sift out what is the truth and what is not.

Moriah Ruth

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

mercy1061

Nov 26, 2011
✟18,724.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Well, I must say it has been a while since I had posted anything here. And I am sure that some of you probably wondered where little wee me had gone to. Let's put it this way. I took a break. However still looking for the truth. I understand that many say they have the truth but is it really God's truth?

Welcome back. If you truly seek truth, then you must put on the mind of Christ; Yeshua is a "ancient" jew. It is ancient jewish thought that may help you understand the bible that was written many years ago.

Anyway, before I start my question I wanted to say hi to everyone and that I have missed all of you.

Hi to you as well.

And when did CF start having CEO Advisors? Just curious as I was reading someone's posting that ended up being closed by a CEO Advisor. Oh well.

Okay, now the question.

I have been reading some info here and there with regards rather we should have the mindset of the Eastern mindset when reading the bible vs to having the Western mindset.
You should have the mind of Christ; Yeshua is an "ancient" jew, circumcised on the 8th day, born from the tribe of Judah.

Now in my thinking both mindsets have some very good points, however on both sides there is something lacking.

The ancient jew (Abram, Moses) built the altar;

Heb 13:10
We have an altar from which those who serve in the Tent are not permitted to eat.

One has more knowledge than the other and the other has more action.

"Western thought" has no altar; therefore they can never properly understand the bible. The western world seeks to build the temple without a "stone" altar or tentmakers. Pharisee Shaul was a tentmaker.

The one who has a lot of knowledge seem to be lacking in doing the action of what they have learned. And the other that is doing more action instead of knowing. At least this is what I have read and understood to be true. There needs to be a balance.

Those ancient jews who serve in the tent are not allowed to eat from the altar; they must fast and pray. "Western thought" teach their congregation to eat from the table.

Matt 17
21 But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.

Yet I do agree that we should be able to understand the bible from the Eastern mindset because it was written by Jewish people. I understand also that when it came to the NT that the Greek mindset had crept in and slightly changed the thought process. Again this is my understanding.

The OT and NT were written by ancient jews who kept the law of Moses or Torah.

Now I do know however that most of us live in the Western countries. So therefore our mindset is going to be different than the Eastern mindset. We have our way of doing things, how we think, how we talk and respond. How we receive truth.

Abram was a (uncircumcised) gentile when he built the "stone" altar. David refused to use Shaul's sword or military armor but instead he threw a "stone" to defeat Goliath.

Ex 20:22
If you do make me an altar of stone, you are not to build it of cut stones; for if you use a tool on it, you profane it.

1 Pet 2:5

you yourselves, as living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be cohanim set apart for God to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to him through Yeshua the Messiah.

Yet I have found that the Western mindset has so much changed the whole meaning of the bible. This I can agree that is what we have done.

The meaning of the bible has not changed; men has sought after wicked schemes. King Solomon describe the thoughts of men best;

Ec 7:29
This is the only thing I have found,
that God made human beings upright,
but they have devised many schemes.

So I guess my question would be do we understand the bible from an Eastern mindset or a Western mindset? Because the two cultures are completely different from one another.

Moriah Ruth

You would have to put on the mind of Christ; Yeshua is an ancient jew.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mercy,

Why do you keep referring to Yeshua as being an ancient Jew? Yes He was Jewish, however I believe Him to be God, so really He is not ancient in my eyes. However I also understand there are groups who believe that Yeshua is not God. And that is fine, nor do I have an issue with that.

Some of the things that you stated really had nothing to do with my question.

You stated, "Western thought" has no altar; therefore they can never properly understand the bible. The western world seeks to build the temple without a "stone" altar or tentmakers. Pharisee Shaul was a tentmaker."

So are you saying that us Westerners do not understand the bible at all? If that is the case than the rest of us is lost cause.

Moriah Ruth

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shalom Chavak,

It is good to see you again and I pray that you and your family are well. It has been a while and I certainly missed everyone. I do come and check the threads and respond if I need to. But I haven't really participated in any discussion threads.

Moriah Ruth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
For quite some time. Our CEO Advisor is in charge of the whole site and is Messianic! :)

I think it is both. The Bible was written in a cultural context , but it was also written for all people.

If the Bible were just the writings of Eastern people , then I would say that we need to be in their mindset as much as possible to be able to understand it. But what makes the Bible eternal and above all that is the fact that it is not a human creation but rather of divine origin.

Or to put it another way. God wrote the Bible for everyone and it is important to understand the intended audience and not just the author.
G-d did not write the Bible, men did. However we do have the Torah which was dictated to Moses from G-d to record for the people of Israel. This was considered a ketubah or a wedding document. This was only between G-d and these people whom he states he made the covenant with.

I think what you might mean is that it is a human creator with divine origin.

It is the writings of Hebrew people which have a totally different understanding of things than the Greeks which we today are heavily influenced by knowingly or not.

Not that God's Word can not transcend any setting in which it is spoken, but that somethings do get lost in the translation by the translator who is of a certain mindset as to what he thinks it should mean.
And this is another matter, we read translations of the bible, not the word in it's origin. That leaves it open for the Greek mindset and understanding to interpret as to what they think it means not actually what it says.

Most of the NT has been interpreted leaving out as much as possible that these were Jewish writings meant for Jewish people or those who had joined Israel. Yeshua is sanitized to look very European not just in images but in language, thoughts, teachings and more.

There have been many a commentator on the bible that think they know what G-d was trying to say or what Yeshua was teachings but yet leave out the facts such that he was a Jew, living a Torah observant life in and amoung other Jews in an occupied land. The lessons he taught were not directed at all peoples, just Jews, and they were given in words that they would understand, not just the language but based on their history, their culture, their beliefs, their governments, and more. When you strip all that away you are left with nothing more than a fairy tale.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
God says in Revelation 1:8, “I am the Alpha and the Omega, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty,” quoting Isaiah 44:6, “I am the first and the last; apart from me there is no God.” Yeshua says in Revelation 1:17-18, “I am the first and the last. I am the living one; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever.” The Alpha and the Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet. In Hebrew, the first and last letters are the Aleph and the Tav. There is a word spelled aleph-tav in Hebrew that is not translatable into English but occurs on every page of the Hebrew Bible.
Micah 5:2: "But you, O Bethlehem of Ephrathah, who are one of the little clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to rule in Israel, whose origin is from of old, from ancient days."

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In all Judaism the Ancient of Days is considered to be G-d himself, no other.

Being 'from old, from ancient days' and being 'The Ancient of Days' are two different things.

Where it is seen is in Daniel 7:13 and it is in Aramaic but the meaning is clear.

I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
This language is clearly understood that there are two beings being spoken of here.

1. One like the son of man (ben Adam, a human being)
2. The Ancient of Days - a name understood as speaking of the creator

You can't be brought to yourself and the angels or whoever is referred to at the end cannot being one to oneself.

The clouds of heaven are also interpreted as the angels or those in white, those who are holy, righteous, obedient. They are seen here bringing the one like the son of man to the Ancient of Days.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For quite some time. Our CEO Advisor is in charge of the whole site and is Messianic! :)

G-d did not write the Bible, men did. However we do have the Torah which was dictated to Moses from G-d to record for the people of Israel. This was considered a ketubah or a wedding document. This was only between G-d and these people whom he states he made the covenant with.

I think what you might mean is that it is a human creator with divine origin.

It is the writings of Hebrew people which have a totally different understanding of things than the Greeks which we today are heavily influenced by knowingly or not.

And this is another matter, we read translations of the bible, not the word in it's origin. That leaves it open for the Greek mindset and understanding to interpret as to what they think it means not actually what it says.

Most of the NT has been interpreted leaving out as much as possible that these were Jewish writings meant for Jewish people or those who had joined Israel. Yeshua is sanitized to look very European not just in images but in language, thoughts, teachings and more.

There have been many a commentator on the bible that think they know what G-d was trying to say or what Yeshua was teachings but yet leave out the facts such that he was a Jew, living a Torah observant life in and amoung other Jews in an occupied land. The lessons he taught were not directed at all peoples, just Jews, and they were given in words that they would understand, not just the language but based on their history, their culture, their beliefs, their governments, and more. When you strip all that away you are left with nothing more than a fairy tale.

:thumbsup::amen: Amen Sister, tell it like it is! And it truly is!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I guess my question would be do we understand the bible from an Eastern mindset or a Western mindset? Because the two cultures are completely different from one another.

Moriah Ruth

Personally,

From what I've seen, it's hard to get past the reality that those in the Bible had NO issue with utilizing aspects from both the Eastern and Western style of thinking. For there are many basic things which cannot be understood unless you understand the Eastern culture Christ and the Gospels were written in. For good study reference, have you heard of the book
Amazon.com: Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels (9780830825684): Kenneth E. Bailey: Books ?

Bought that book years ago at Borders before they went out of business- and although I didn't finish it (although halfway through), it was really insightful to see some of the ways that Middle-Eastern culture can make a world of difference in understanding the text.

In example, One thing I got from the book was on how a lot of things are amazing in seeing once considering how to see the Nativity scene/the scriptures through Middle-Eastern eyes and understand where things (i.e. rooms, animals, etc) would've been properly placed and how different that is from our imagination of things today. Kenneth E. Baily did a lot of excellent work on the issue in his book entitled "Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes" and shared in-depth on the ways that Joseph/Mary weren't traditionally in a barn as many think....nor were they in poor conditions when Christ was born since Joseph had royal blood/had relatives that would have taken care of them in his hometown (as it'd be dishonorable for relatives to turn away blood/family at crucial times and hospitality is key). Moreover, as Baily shared, Middle/Near-Eastern culture is radically different than what others often think and hygiene has to be seen from their perspective of what was actually done. There were not a concept of "barns" where all the animals stayed seperate from the people in all contexts (more shared here in Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels - Page 31 )

Kindle+House+and+Manger+Picture.gif

In peasant homes of the time, mangers were located in the main part of the house. As Kenneth Bailey points out, “Each night into that designated area, the family cow, donkey and a few sheep would be driven. And every morning those same animals were taken out and tied up in the courtyard of the house. The animal stall would then be cleaned for the day”. The animals are put in the house because, “they provide heat in winter and are safe from theft”.

The Bible even reveals this practice of keeping animals in the house:
• 1 Samuel 28:24 (ESV) — 24 Now the woman had a fattened calf in the house, and she quickly killed it, and she took flour and kneaded it and baked unleavened bread of it,

• Judges 11:31 (ESV) — 31 then whatever comes out from the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the Ammonites shall be the LORD’s, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.” Jephthah assumed it would be one of his animals not his daughter.

• Luke 13:15 (ESV) — 15 Then the Lord answered him, “You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger and lead it away to water it? As stated earlier, the animals are taken out of the house (untied) every morning and led out of the house – even on the Sabbath. Interestingly, the phrase used by Luke 13:12, “you are freed” literally means “untied”.And the earliest Arabic version of the NT from the 9th century translates Luke 13:15 as, “does not every one of you untie his ox or his donkey from the manger in the house and take it outside and water it?”

It would not have been odd for Joseph and Mary to be in the same room as many of the animals since that was common during that time. Of course, in two story homes, there could be rooms above where the animals were so as to add heat to the rooms were....but to be amongst the other animals in the same room would not have been odd. And to be clear, the Gospel of Luke doesn’t mention a single animal being present at the nativity. However, there are some things which can be inferred. In example, we can’t speak for the donkeys not being present automatically since their presence at the manger when Jesus was Born would have been likely. After, it was a hotel stable...and we can assume there were all sorts of manger using animals hanging around. Even if the hotel guests weren’t traveling with donkeys, remember, at least one donkey would have been present, the one Mary rode in on.

That said, I definately think that "Jesus through Middle Eastern Eyes" is a GREAT read :) And one illustration of how the Eastern mindset is central to know the Lord.

And outside of dynamics as it concerns culture and lifestyle, the differences in values are also something that one cannot understand without seeing how the Eastern mindset operates.

For more specifics, here's a decent video by a Messianic Jew who noted some in-depth thoughts on the matter...

The folks over at the Rosh Pina Project, as they're always amongst the most balanced/honest of others within the Messianic movement. And I felt the video had a very balanced point of view. However, I disagree with the fact about commentaries. ..as commentaries can be helpful in understanding the word. But you have to know of course where the writer is coming from and what their biases are. It is difficult to completely wipe out the Greek thinking attitude (as he noted) that we have been brought up with and adapt a more Hebraic way of thinking because community is more important than the individual and that is what we struggle with ....as we place individual above community. In fact, sometimes community's way of doing things and thinking can be wrong. ..and when leaving out the Holy Spirit, a lot of things come out of place.

The exact difference between a Greco-Roman mindset and a Hebrew mindset is key to remember since much of Scripture makes no sense from a Greco-Roman linear point of view, but only from a block logic, circular pattern point of view.

Many Jewish Rabbi/organizations have made clear how Greek Thought is based more so on a Step model of logic (i.e. "1+1=2") where there's a great degree of forumla while the Hebraic is very much with similar dynamics, except that on many things there's a BLOCK Model of logic where things do not have to be in sequence or formulaic. Thoughts can parralel without necessarily having to make sense on why they connect---and there can be a great degree of mystery involved where some things are not necessarily certain. And Greek Thought was linear and Hebraic was circular...but even with one being more so linear and the other being circular, it would not be fully accurate to say the Hebraic has absolutes in all things...as in, all things neatly "categorized", "boxed" and in nice rows of thought.

Not all things Greek are bad, of course. If interested, here are some articles on the issue of Gentiles and Messianics that I thought would bless you----from "Rosh Pina Project". It is entitled It’s All Greek To Me---which I thought was beyond fascinating since it did a great job of addressing how one considered amongst the greatest of Jewish Rabbis, Maimonides, based his whole “negative theology” off Aristotelian ideas, meaning that he defined God by what he is not, as you can’t explain God in positive terms by human philosophy. Also, there was excellent discussion on the issue (including the ways that Judaism after/during the Maccabean Revolt managed to find ways of utilizing Hellenization to their advantage by making it fit a Judaic perspective) as seen in the book entitled In the Shadow of the Temple: Jewish Influences on Early Christianity.

The Maccabean fighters, who eventually established the Hasmonean kingdom, were themselves influenced deeply by Hellenism - with later generations finding many positive benefits from it as a result (more shared here /here).

Going back to what was said earlier, there is a difference in the way the people from a Western background think when compared to the culture Yeshua came from. For in the West, answers are either right or wrong AND the individual is important or central. In Middle Eastern thinking (the same for Hebraic thinking) it is more like there is more than one answer and the community is central. Greek thinking is more black and white, whereas Middle Eastern is not so black and White. AND the aforementioned video from earlier says that Hebraic thinking is more faith and reading the Bible than reading commentaries. I remember reading on in a book entitled "Pilgrims of Christ on the Muslim Road: Exploring a New Path Between Two Faiths" ( ) and being amazed at things I had never considered before with parables. Yes, I was aware that Christ spoke in parables and that was a form of communication...but I had no realization as to how extensive the concept of story-telling was to illustrate deep truths within Middle-Eastern culture...and how many of those stories weren't meant to be understood as if one had to see them from a rational

In regards to the Messianic Jew who shared in the earlier video, there are others who've done good reviews. In example, Messianic Jew Alan Hirsch did a good review on the matter here in his book The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church"

Also, there are others who seemed to be very similar to the British Messianic Jew in the video who spoke---if knowing of Ray Vander Laan of "Follow the Rabbi"...more on his teachings seen here (or here )

Shalom..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Scripture was written by authors with an ancient middle-eastern mindset while most in Christendom today approach the same writings with a modern western mindset.
Sad but true - and understanding the Middle-Eastern mindset (although not impossible or terribly difficult...especially when working with others from that culture) isn't something many find to be a priority

Upvote 0