Eastern Gate, Is it the WAY?

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Often times we read without depth. So with a pause this Sabbath, I am going to slow down to this verse and take it one step at a time. Did you know if the entrance to the Temple grounds have above it the words "THE WAY"?

In my research I have come across many interesting articles, regarding these gates to the Temple. To start, I believe the scripture is a great place to get the best clues. The scripture plainly states that the East Gate that stands today is the gate, no other gate is mentioned as being sealed. The Eastern Gate, facing the Mount of Olives, is unique, as it is sealed shut. It is reputed to be the oldest gate of the Old City with times of construction varying from 520 A.D. (the 6th century) or in subsequent years amid the 7th century A.D. The “Golden Gate,” (this moniker is taken from Christian literature), or in Hebrew, Sha’ar Harachamimi—“Gate of Mercy,”

Ezekiel 44:1-3 Then he brought me back the way of the gate of the outward sanctuary which looketh toward the east; and it was shut. 2 Then said the Lord unto me; This gate shall be shut, it shall not be opened, and no man shall enter in by it; because the Lord, the God of Israel, hath entered in by it, therefore it shall be shut 3 It is for the prince; the prince, He shall sit in it to eat bread before the Lord; He shall enter by the way of the porch of that gate, and shall go out by the way of the same.

During the time of the First Temple the Eastern Gate (also called Shushan or HaKohan gate) was the main entrance into the Temple area. It was also the gate that Yeshua entered on a humble donkey in His triumphal entry. If one were to stand on the Mount of Olives he could look over this Eastern Gate into the huge area presently north of the Dome of the Rock and see all the gates (at different levels) in a perfect line: the East (Shushan) Gate --Outer Court Gate --Inner Court Gate --Temple Entrance. The Talmud makes an interesting observation:

"All the walls which were there were high, except the wall in the east, so that the priest who burned the heifer, standing on the top of the Mount of Olives, and directing himself to look, saw through the gateway of the sanctuary, at the time when he sprinkled the blood." [Mishnah, Middot 2:4].

The Golden Gate (Herod's Temple )

I would post the rest of the article but due to limitations, I will invite you to read the rest on the link. It is very interesting.

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Ex 27:16 "For the gate of the court there shall be a screen twenty cubits long, woven of blue, purple, and scarlet thread, and fine woven linen, made by a weaver. It shall have four pillars and four sockets.

This was the one and only way by which men and women could an entrance to the entire tabernacle. There was no other way in. Whether he is a priest going to carry out his duties or a repentant sinner seeking forgiveness, you have to enter by that one way. No one could enter by any other way except this gate. Anyone approaching the Tabernacle leading his sacrifice and desiring atonement knew that there was no way to reach the bronze altar but through the gate that faced east.

Num 2:3 "On the east side, toward the rising of the sun, those of the standard of the forces with Judah shall camp according to their armies;

Not wanting this thread to become the argument as to which veil was torn, it still is important to mention this fact and and consider whether it was this "veil" or the most inner sanctuary "veil" that separates the holy from the Most Holy that was torn.

Matt 27:50-51 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit. Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split,

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Heb 10:20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh,

Col 2:17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Jerusalem_Gates.jpg

GoldenGate.jpg

GOLDEN GATE – You will notice is closed, The Moslems know the Jewish Messiah will come through this Gate, so they filled it with 16 feet of cement. They also know a Gadol Cohen (High Priest) can’t walk in a graveyard so they bury their dead there. The Golden Gate faces the Mount of Olives on the East wall of the Old City. The Golden Gate was constructed in the post-Byzantine period and the Muslims sealed the gate during the rule of Suleiman. Gates of Jerusalem

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Upvote 0