Not open for further replies.

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
There are forum areas and active posters of all the Western churches here and Messianic Jews. I was just wondering if there are any people here who represent the various eastern churches (Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, Assyrian, Ethiopian, etc).

I am not, but I certainly appreciate the viewpoints and fellowship of those who are.

Peace

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Talmid HaYarok
There are forum areas and active posters of all the Western churches here and Messianic Jews. I was just wondering if there are any people here who represent the various eastern churches (Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, Assyrian, Ethiopian, etc).

I am not, but I certainly appreciate the viewpoints and fellowship of those who are.

Peace

Hi Talmid!

Brewmama here, of the Antiochian Patriarchate, Western Rite Liturgy, here in the US of A

Upvote 0

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
Hey Brewmama

I'm not familiar with the Antiochian Patriarchate, what would be the main way in which it differs from other Patriarchates?

I'm mostly interested in both the Unity and theological differences from those churches which developed in non-western cultures over the last couple millenia. I find it amazing that so many diverse and far flung church groups have retained the basic "orthodoxy" and I find it interesting how culture has shaped the theologies of various groups. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Upvote 0

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
I've attended Ethiopian churches a few times both in Israel and in the states. They can clearly trace their founding back to the Apostle Philip before Paul even became an Apostle and therefore pre-date the churches in Constantinople and Rome. The Ethiopian church however was never under the Pope or the Patriarchate being too far from those places even at the beginning. They're generally considered Eastern Orthodox because they have similar rites, practices, and theology.

Assyrian and Coptic I'm not near as familar with, but I think they're rather similar.

Anyways its a blessed and intriguing part of church history that I'm not near familiar with enough and I'd like to learn a lot more.

Peace to you all.

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey Talmid,

The Antiochian Patriarchate is one of the original Patriarchates, and our Patriarch succeeds from the Chair of Peter, (is that the right phrasing?) He now resides in Damascus though, on the Street Straight actually, because Antioch has been decimated by earthquakes and things. The Antiochian Church is one of the main three in America, along with Greek and Russian, although there is an effort in process to unite the Church in America in one diocese. The problem in the USA occurred because of the Russian revolution in 1917 and the persecution of the Church in Russia. They had been in charge of things here until then, but because of the disarray, each church turned toward their national church, and things have remained that way since. It will eventually become an autonomous American Church, but things move SLOWLY in Orthodoxy.
I am not that well versed in all the ancient Churches, but I agree on your assessment of the Coptic, Assyrian and Ethiopian. They are Eastern, but there is some point of disagreement, and I think they are not in communion with the main Churches, and I THINK it has to do with monophytism. I know the ancient Iranian Church was Nestorian, but I don't know if any parts of that still exist.

Upvote 0

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
Hey Brewmama, well you managed to encourage me to do a little bit of research.

So we've got the Church of the East (Iranian) which is Nestorian as you said.

The Coptic and Ethiopian churches follow the doctrine of Monophytism.

In terms of doctrine, the Coptic Church separated from the early Orthodox Church in AD 451 after the Council of Chalcedon over the former's adherence to the Monophysite doctrine. This issue concerned the Person of Christ --obviously an important matter to Christians-- which Orthodox Christians believe to have two distinct natures, one divine and one human, whereas the Monophysites believed Christ has a divine nature in which the human nature is contained. At that time, most Christians were Orthodox; the Patriarchate of Rome was not yet separated from the Eastern patriarchates. Coptic liturgical and sacramental practices remain similar to Orthodox ones, though the usage follows the ancient Alexandrian rite rather than the Byzantine rite.

I'm not sure what is meant by "nature" since both agree that he was both divine and human.

I'll have to see if I can't get some of my pictures from the Ethiopian Patriarchate in Jerusalem scanned to put up on the forums.

In particular I find Ethiopian Orthodox interesting because it is still in many ways a Semitic church and shares a lot in common with Messianic churches. Many of the members in Israel are in fact Messianic Ethiopian Jews and in Ethiopia the Messianic and Jewish communities mingle freely.

Yes, I do hope more Orthodox Christians come here. I've got a lot to learn about my Orthodox brothers and sisters.

Be blessed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
Of the middle eastern churches does anybody know which ones are considered Orthodox but not Eastern Orthodox?

So far I know of:

Church of the East (Nestorian)

Coptic (Monophysite)

Ethiopian (Monophysite)

Greek Catholic

Nazarene Judaism

Marionite (Nestorian)

Both the Armenian Orthodox and Greek Orthodox churches are fairly large in Israel (among the churches).

Just curious and still learning!

Edit: I just found on a web search of Christians in Lebanon that the Marionite church is Nestorian. Also found another church group that I hadn't known of called the Chaldeans. So much history....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.