Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello everyone. I'm not sure how many Orthodox Christians there on this forum. My hope is to share Orthodox doctrine and beliefs.

Each work day, I hope to write about a specific topic and answer any questions

if there is a topic you want me to cover, feel free to let me know.

Salvation has been a topic that was popular on the day I signed up, so I guess I will start with that. This will be rather long, but I hope you read it and learn :)

Salvation is the *process* by which we become more like God. I said "process" because that is exactly what it is. It is *not* an instantaneous moment in time.

There are 3 parts to salvation:

1) I am saved

This is pretty easy. Your declaration (assuming you mean it) that Christ is Lord saves you. It doesn't end here, as you all know Satan and his demons also have declared Christ it lord. They know Christ is Lord, but they will most likely not be saved (even though God wants them to be).

2) I am being saved

Salvation is a daily process, and it requires daily progress and action. We are being saved through such actions as giving to charity, loving your neighbor, helping those who need it, prayer, preforming the sacraments, etc.

Keep in mind that "faith" is something you *do*...its not something you *have*. Christ Himself gave several examples of this, and the modern protestant interpretation that good works come from being saved is completely foreign to the Apostles and early Church Fathers. In Koine Greek (the language of the New Testament), faith is not a belief...its a verb.

We must work towards being saved on a daily basis.

3) I pray to be saved

Salvation is something that occurs over a long time...even after death. That is why we pray for those that have died. Our prayers help continue the process of salvation. Its also important to remember that while you are dead on earth, you are alive on the other side. That is why it's called the "afterlife". George Washington, St Peter and Hitler are all alive on the other side. So if you have family or friends that have died, pray for them...they will thank you one day.

Likewise, since people are alive on the other side, they can pray for you. This is why it's important to pick a Patron Saint. I chose St. Constantine the Great. I often ask him to pray for me. His prayers are just as valid as a person who is living on this earth. I will do a topic on this at some point.

This is where things get hard to put into words. Your salvation is based on a concept called Theosis. It translates to "God Like", but that word is misleading. "Friendship" is an easier way to think about it.

What will your friendship with God be when you die? Well, none of us knows until we die, but we can work daily to increase it. Lets put it on a scale from 0 - 100

0 is absolutely impossible. Everyone has done something pleasing to God. 100 is equally impossible since everyone has sinned. Everyone will fall somewhere between the 2 numbers. For a reference, the person with the highest Theosis off all time, never to be surpassed, is the Virgin Mary. She is closer to God that anyone who has ever lived, is living now or will ever live.

How exactly does theosis work? Think of it like a house that you are forced to spend eternity living in. Once you die, you will be forced to live in this house with Christ forever. If your theosis is high, it will be a pleasant experience for you. If its low, you will hate every moment of it.

Someone who is close to God will experience eternal joy in the presence of Christ. They will not go "up" to Heaven. Their closeness to God is their reward.

Someone who has very little friendship to God will experience misery in the presence of Christ. They will not go "down" to hell. Their closeness to God will feel like agony.

Your theosis will dictate your experience in the afterlife. There is nowhere that God isn't, so no one can be separated from God. We will have to spend eternity in His presence. How you experience that is dependent on your friendship with him.

Salvation, as I said, can improve your theosis in the afterlife...all the way up to Judgement Day.

I can go so much more into detail on this subject, but it can become dry and dull. Hopefully you learned something and ask whatever questions you may have

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello Silentdecay, and welcome to CF!

Just wanted to let you know, yes, we gave a number of EO Christians on CF. Feel free to stop by The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox (The EO Congregational forum) and say hello, if you haven't already. You might also enjoy Traditional Theology .

Again, welcome to CF! Glad to have you join us!

Reactions: Silentdecay
Upvote 0