Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was watching a Youtube video about colonising Mars. The speaker made this statement:

"Our world could end very suddenly" He said our world is dependent upon the whim of our galaxy, and that a reasonably sized asteriod could hit the earth and extinguish all life.

He then went on to say, "What if everything that mankind had, will, and desire to accomplish just ended and went to nothing?" I found that a very prophetic statement even though it was made by a secular scientist.

(Here's the link to the video for those who are interested in watching it:
)

What is going to happen is that Jesus will come back to this world unexpectedly, and after having had His 1000 year reign, will roll up the universe, destroy this world and create a whole new one. This means that everything we are doing to try and save the planet will all come to nothing. The whole history and achievement of mankind, all the libraries, and information storage that has documented man's progress in knowledge will be burned up in an instant of time.

Of course, the scientist, who believes that mankind evolved in Africa and spread out around the world, would not believe that the world will end in the way the Bible says it will.

I just found this interesting enough to start a thread so that we all can have a lively, stimulating, and respectful discussion about it.

Last edited:

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What is going to happen is that Jesus will come back to this world unexpectedly, and after having had His 1000 year reign, will roll up the universe, destroy this world and create a whole new one. This means that everything we are doing to try and save the planet will all come to nothing.

Using religion as an excuse to abdicate responsibility is shameful.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
will roll up the universe, destroy this world and create a whole new one.
Could this be the sudden end the scientist speaks of? I wonder if setting Mars or space exploration in general will be the new tower of babel?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That could be true for those who don't believe that the Bible is true communication between God and mankind as to how the world and universe is going to end.

I don't think that Bible-believing Christians are using religion to abdicate responsibility in the same way that a householder refuses to keep the house clean, do the dishes,flush the toilet and mow the lawn because Jesus could come any day and it will all be over. Most Christians do what they can to look after their environment and are concerned about pollution and climate change. But they are realistic that the world will end.

It is the same when I moved house. I kept the house clean, lawns mowed, toilet flushed, etc., right up to the day I moved. After leaving the house for good, I didn't see the need to do anything more to it. It was up to the new person coming in to maintain it.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Could this be the sudden end the scientist speaks of? I wonder if setting Mars or space exploration in general will be the new tower of babel?
Could be. :)

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello pitabread, @Oscarr stated a Biblical fact, but where in the OP does he suggest that we should "abdicate responsibility" because of that fact?

Thanks!

--David

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hello pitabread, @Oscarr stated a Biblical fact, but where in the OP does he suggest that we should "abdicate responsibility" because of that fact?

Thanks!

--David

Perhaps I'm reading between the lines, but when he states this:

This means that everything we are doing to try and save the planet will all come to nothing.

... the implication that comes across is "why bother?"

This sort of sentiment is also something I've seen from numerous religious posters on this forum, so I know it's not a unique case.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that Bible-believing Christians are using religion to abdicate responsibility in the same way that a householder refuses to keep the house clean, do the dishes,flush the toilet and mow the lawn because Jesus could come any day and it will all be over. Most Christians do what they can to look after their environment and are concerned about pollution and climate change. But they are realistic that the world will end.

First, I think everyone is realistic that the world will end. It's just a matter of when and how. No one thinks the Earth will last forever.

The problem is that I've seen far too many Christians here advocating that worrying about climate change is irrelevant for exactly the reasons you describe: they believe that the Earth's fate is out of their hands in lieu of some sort of divine providence.

Such beliefs also often go hand-in-hand with opposing any sort of climate change initiatives and thus comes across as a rationalization of the same.

It bothers me that in the year 2020 we still have people believing that supernatural intervention is somehow responsible for the future of our planet as opposed to dealing with the mess we've caused ourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,882.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I just found this interesting enough to start a thread so that we all can have a lively, stimulating, and respectful discussion about it
Well, as long as you understand that levity can still be underlain by respect, and in the hope that a brief off-topic interlude may energise rather than deflate, here is what I thought when I saw the thread title.

Aha! The End of the Earth. The Sudden End of the Earth! One of those Flat Earth enthusiasts must think they have found evidence for the edge. I should read this.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was watching a Youtube video about colonising Mars. The speaker made this statement:

"Our world could end very suddenly" He said our world is dependent upon the whim of our galaxy, and that a reasonably sized asteriod could hit the earth and extinguish all life.

He then went on to say, "What if everything that mankind had, will, and desire to accomplish just ended and went to nothing?" I found that a very prophetic statement even though it was made by a secular scientist.

)

What is going to happen is that Jesus will come back to this world unexpectedly, and after having had His 1000 year reign, will roll up the universe, destroy this world and create a whole new one. This means that everything we are doing to try and save the planet will all come to nothing. The whole history and achievement of mankind, all the libraries, and information storage that has documented man's progress in knowledge will be burned up in an instant of time.

Of course, the scientist, who believes that mankind evolved in Africa and spread out around the world, would not believe that the world will end in the way the Bible says it will.

I just found this interesting enough to start a thread so that we all can have a lively, stimulating, and respectful discussion about it.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Well, as long as you understand that levity can still be underlain by respect, and in the hope that a brief off-topic interlude may energise rather than deflate, here is what I thought when I saw the thread title.

Aha! The End of the Earth. The Sudden End of the Earth! One of those Flat Earth enthusiasts must think they have found evidence for the edge. I should read this.
It's what Christopher Columbus said to Queen Isabella: "The world is not flat; it's you who is flat!"

You have to think carefully about that one. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Our world could end very suddenly" He said our world is dependent upon the whim of our galaxy, and that a reasonably sized asteroid could hit the earth and extinguish all life.

It's probably 10 million times more likely that one would hit his own car and leave a car sized crater. But we don't have evidence that any car has been hit yet.

Here, check out the odds of your house being hit:

What Are the Odds an Asteroid Will Hit Your House?

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

)

this came to me

"At the set time that I appoint
I will judge with equity.
When the earth totters, and all its inhabitants,
it is I who keep steady its pillars. Selah"
—Psalm 75

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I dont hear him doing that, stewardship is fundamental to faith, but the predicted end should not be denied...

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It's probably 10 million times more likely that one would hit his own car and leave a car sized crater. But we don't have evidence that any car has been hit yet.

Here, check out the odds of your house being hit:

What Are the Odds an Asteroid Will Hit Your House?
In the movie "The World According to Garp", the main character and his wife were looking at a house to buy, and had just decided that it was the house for them, and then suddenly a light plane with engine trouble crashed right into it. The pilot got out of the plane and called down to the people below: "Do you mind if I use your phone?"

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the movie "The World According to Garp", the main character and his wife were looking at a house to buy, and had just decided that it was the house for them, and then suddenly a light plane with engine trouble crashed right into it. The pilot got out of the plane and called down to the people below: "Do you mind if I use your phone?"

And Garp said "This house will be perfect. It's pre-disastered!"

Since 500 meteors hit the earth every year, I'd say earth is pre-disastered.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
And Garp said "This house will be perfect. It's pre-disastered!"
The chance of another plane hitting the house would be five billion to one!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.