• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Earth's age and Adam's age

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by MasterYourLife, Jul 28, 2019.

1. joshua 1 9

joshua 1 9 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,807
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Just like the Bible has to be translated and interpreted. IF you get your Science right & If you get the Bible right then they will agree and confirm each other. Science and our Bible work together like our left and right hand. Actually a lot of science comes from Kabbalah, like the Big bang and the big crunch. Although Kabbalah calls the crunch a contraction. They explain how infinity becomes finite.

2. joshua 1 9

+2,807
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    God created light in Genesis 1:3. Only you have to have a reference point. In verse 2 we read that: "the earth was formless and void". So we know that the reference point was the face or surface of the earth. According to Gerald Schroeder the leading expert on OEC, each day in Genesis is half the length of the day before.

We know that the Sun and the Earth are close to the same age - about 4.5 billion years. So your theory that God created the sun and moon several days later is just plan wrong. This is why we have science to help use understand and interpret our Bible.

What is interesting is Jeremiah talks about this also: "Jeremiah 4:23 "I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light." So this can help to give us some insight into Genesis 1:2.

The Earth and the Moon are actually duel planets that have gotten caught in a dance together. The moon is moving away from the Earth and this causes the rotation rate of the Earth to slow down. So the math is not difficult to determine when the earth and the moon occupied the same place at the same time. They believe the moon hit the earth and sort of bounced off. They know the angle or at least have a computer model for what most likely happened.

I have spent a lot of time to verify that there is no conflict between Science and the Bible. No one has ever shown me where there is a conflict. We do have paradoxes to deal with but that is a different subject.

3. joshua 1 9

+2,807
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It's an old photo. I am 67.

4. joshua 1 9

+2,807
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I did a study on the dinosaurs. It is interesting how many of them died in a flood. That is why Noah's flood is considered to be a paradigm or archetype. This goes back to when the super continent of Pangaea was broken up and destroyed due to plate technotics. They also call this the ring of fire in the Pacific.

5. miamited

miamited Ted Supporter

+3,456
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Uhhh, John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

God bless,
    In Christ, ted

6. MasterYourLife

MasterYourLife Active Member

+263
    Canada
    Christian
    Divorced
    Well we're assuming that...for whatever reason.

There's no issue with rocks, plants, trees, water, etc., being created with an age older than 1.

Even if the age is "1". God could still have created it in a way where testing shows and older age.

7. miamited

miamited Ted Supporter

+3,456
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    HI viacrucis,

Thanks for your reply. You wrote
    Yes, that's how fast light travels when there is nothing but the natural properties of the creation to work upon such things. However, if we allow that everything can only work at all times, including whatever time the creation event took, according to what the natural properties of such things allow, then please explain to me how the water stood on both the right hand and the left hand of the Israelites. Tell me, how did the shadow cast by the sun go back 10 steps.

You see, in all of your explanation, while it is absolutely true so long as there is no interference to act upon such things, i.e., the hand of God, then all of your testimony is true. However, when God sets His hand to do something, well, uh, there is nothing that is impossible for God to do with the physical properties of the earth.

If it is God's desire that His purpose for creating the stars in the heavens were to be for seasons and signs for mankind and that He wanted Adam to observe those seasons and signs as much as He wants you and I to observe those seasons and signs, then God can stretch or set aside or in any way He would like, cause the light from all of those billions of stars that He created to be immediately, yes immediately, to be visible upon the face of the earth.

That's the God I know and so, I'm not willing to say that God's testimony as to the time of the creation event isn't true because we know that the light from the stars can only travel at a certain speed. The God I know can play with the natural properties of this physical realm as easily as a cat plays with a ball of yarn.

And there are at least a dozen other examples to show that God can do things with His creation that are, in fact, impossible...except that God can do it.

Turning water into wine in a mere moment. A process that through natural processes takes months. He can cause an entire river to run with blood, while the rest of the world enjoys fresh clean drinking water. Even people downstream from the very river that He caused to flow with blood. He can cause fire to fall from heaven to burn up a sodden fire pit. And many, many other things.

God bless,
    In Christ, ted

God bless,
    In Christ, ted

8. zoidar

zoidar Well-Known Member Supporter

+691
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    Don't you think Jesus is refering to the words Jesus spoke to them from the Father, and not specifically the Bible?

"8 for the words which You gave Me I have given to them; and they received them and truly understood that I came forth from You, and they believed that You sent Me."

Even if Jesus means the Bible, how do you know he meant everything to be litterally true? I mean, some things may be true in the sense that the message is true, but may not be true as an exact historical account.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  9. nolidad

nolidad Well-Known Member Supporter

+257
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Well radiometric dating is hopelessly flawed and ice core and dendochronology also aren't as accurate as advertised.

It has been shown that an antarctic and arctic season can produce as many as 12-15 ice layers!

Same with tree rings. It is possible that God had accelerated growth to insure the world was a tropical paradise- but there is no warrant for it anywhere. Tree ring dating also is flawed- one tree can have had multiple rings in a season due to climate issues. If we do not know the weqather of each season- one has to make unsure assumptions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Messerve

Messerve Well-Known Member

+776
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I highly doubt Adam had fake memories of a childhood that didn't exist. Why would he need to?? That really doesn't disprove the theory of apparent age at all.

That viewpoint also does not imply that the stars didn't exist, but merely that the light was advanced along it's course more than it would have been if the stars had just been created. So basically, God created the stars and their "light history" at the same time.

No one is saying the fossils don't exist. Merely that they were never living animals and God essentially just created artifacts along with living Creation. Like the wine Jesus created had fermented grape juice from grapes that never really lived (possibly).

It also does NOT make God a blasphemer or a deceiver. He never told Adam that he was a baby once... He also never told anyone that the earth was a "baby".

11. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Soli Deo Gloria

+2,422
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    Good question! I am beginning to believe the Alexandrian LXX, but I am still working that out.

12. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Soli Deo Gloria

+2,422
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    You either believe the divine text, or you don't. There is no room for gap periods in Genesis.

13. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+550
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Forgive my density, but I think you only added to my point. (Well, except for the part about the singularity flinging matter and energy that didn't exist before, somehow --i.e. the stuff did come from somewhere, logically, and I say, probably God, unless there can be proven a whole different sort of existence that God caused before the bb.)

All that aside, I see many contradictions with the descriptions I hear of the bb and of quantum physics, primary of which is the logical fallacy of attributing anything to the rule of chance.

To me, First Cause, and that necessarily with intent, i.e. God, is the only logical cause of existence. I believe in the Creator.

14. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+550
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    That may well be more fathomable to a physicist or cosmologist than you realize.

15. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+530
    Non-Denom
    I don't know. This seems quite interesting ,

Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
    Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.
    He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.
    His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.
    He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.

He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens. The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth. He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares. Job 40:15-24

Has a tail like a cedar? Seems like the description of a dinosaurs tail.

16. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Soli Deo Gloria

+2,422
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    Behemoth is the Hebrew word for a beast. Likely refers to a Hippo, but I don't know.

17. miamited

miamited Ted Supporter

+3,456
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    HI zoidar,

Thanks for your response:
    I believe that the Scriptures instruct us that both are just as equally true.

In the one place he is referring to his words given to him by the Father. In the other he is talking about His Father's word written in the Scriptures. Both are equally true.

God bless,
    In Christ, ted

18. miamited

miamited Ted Supporter

+3,456
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Hi jonaitis,

Ummm, I've seen a lot of hippos. I've never seen one with a tail much bigger than a cow's tail. I certainly can't imagine anyone describing a hippo's tail like a cedar.

God bless,
    In Christ ted

19. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Soli Deo Gloria

+2,422
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    I don't think the description is about size. It says that his tail moves like cedar. It must be poetic language to describe its appearance, like the fact his tail has a swing motion, like a tree in the wind.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  20. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,643
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    Never mentioned gaps.

The time is all accounted for, just not the way you want it accounted.