Earth Tilt Question

Agonaces of Susa

Evolution is not science: legalize creationism.
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Visit site
✟11,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Do folks think that the earth may have tilted on its axis as a result of Noah's flood?

Thought?

Comments?
The tilt of the axis was not caused by the flood but rather the flood was caused by the tilt of the axis (the birth of Venus).

"In the lifetime of [Emperor] Yao the sun did not set for ten full days and the entire land was flooded." -- Johannes Hübner, evangelist, 1729

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The tilt of the axis was probably caused when, late in its formation, the still young Earth was struck by a colossal body around the size of Mars. This huge impact would have caused the nearly-full-sized Earth to "shift" in position.

This also caused the formation of the moon.

Upvote 0

Bushido216

Aug 30, 2003
New York
✟22,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
So, where is this?

Maybe a giant meteor or jumping bean hit the earth in Venus and caused the flood.

Okay.

Anyone else have a thought on whether the flood and earth's tilt are related?

No.

The Earth's tilt is almost certainly the result of something really big and really fast smashing into it.

A flood (lowercase) probably happened, a lot. The Flood (uppercase) never did.

Edit: You may not be aware, but you've just opened a HUGE can of worms... you'd honestly be better of asking your pastor if you wanted just the straight literalist answer.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't know about the worms. Don't want to argue about it. Just asking.

So, if it were a local flood, nothing changes.

If it were a worldwide flood, maybe it changes or not really?

If the earth was never tilted, but it is now, then something happened? Worldwide flood? Meteor? Other?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The tilt of the axis was probably caused when, late in its formation, the still young Earth was struck by a colossal body around the size of Mars. This huge impact would have caused the nearly-full-sized Earth to "shift" in position.

This also caused the formation of the moon.

From where do these ideas arise? Any links?

Upvote 0

Bushido216

Aug 30, 2003
New York
✟22,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Standing up wrote:

From where do these ideas arise? Any links?

They arise from math - calculations have shown that such an impact is consistent with many (though not quite all) mathematical measurements.

Just google "Theia"

Here's one link

The Theia Hypothesis: New Evidence Emerges that Earth and Moon Were Once the Same

Here's an animation of the impact (much more fun! - and walking with monsters is a great series. I recommend buying it from Amazon, especially if you have kids) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2AEer2j9Ys

Papias

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
For a creationist to postulated that only reflects poorly on their adherence to Genesis. Genesis 1:14 already mentions that the seasons exist, so the tilt was there before the flood - even if I were to limit myself to a literal reading.

Very good thinking.

But as I checked the lexicon, the word "season" may not really mean the 4 seasons. It may only mean the identification of time.

On the contrary, Gen 8:22 is the first time that true seasons are mentioned.

What would be the meteorological conditions of the earth if the axis were not tilted? Hmm... very good question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Don't know about the worms. Don't want to argue about it. Just asking.

So, if it were a local flood, nothing changes.

If it were a worldwide flood, maybe it changes or not really?

If the earth was never tilted, but it is now, then something happened? Worldwide flood? Meteor? Other?

I was a little confused by the OP. But now I see the point.

Very good question. And thanks a lot for the link of this two subjects. I am floundering with the tectonic issues related to the Flood. But have never thought about the tilting of the earth as a possible result (or cause). Not sure if the movie 2012 also suggested this idea?

But, how would any change on the earth itself cause the tilting of rotation? Could the sudden shift of a large land mass (or a segment of crust) make it happen? I guess it is possible.

Wow, it is really a can of worm. Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Very good thinking.

But as I checked the lexicon, the word "season" may not really mean the 4 seasons. It may only mean the identification of time.

What would be the meteorological conditions of the earth if the axis were not tilted? Hmm... very good question.

Thank you for that clarification on season at Gen. 8:22, which is related to Noah's flood.

Some posit that there was no rain on earth until after the flood, that conditions were 'the same' all over, but don't really want to sidetrack. Don't know, don't know how to show it one way or the other (except for the apparently "new" rainbow). It (earth tilt) would change seasons north and south of the equator.

Anyway, as to season, Noah's ark came to rest on the 17th of the 7th month (Gen. 8:4). Apparently this is within the context of a 12 month year as the remainder of the chapter implies (water decreases until the 10th month, then 40 days, raven, dove, dove (60 days total?)

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Juve wrote:
Very good thinking.

But by changing the meaning of the words we see, doesn't that throw into question any literal reading of any part of the Bible?

I see two stages of doubt that your point raises - first, in reading any text, we now have to doubt if this is an accurate translation of the Hebrew (OT) or greek (NT) words - so no verse can be taken at face value without checking every word in the lexicon before speaking. What a pain - can you see being able to even do a reading from the Bible with this requirement?

Second - is the lexicon divinely inspired? Or was it made by humans and could thus not know for sure what the ancient words meant? If that's the case (and it seems inevitable), then we can't be sure of any literal reading, even after checking the lexicon, because any word could have a different meaning from the plain english (stage 1 above) or from what is in the lexicon (stage two, this paragraph).

Papias

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very good thinking.

Well answered :)

It is worth looking at the full verse though. Gen 8:22 While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease." While this is the first mention of specific seasons, the passage is talking about things that existed before the flood too, day and night, which were describe before the seasons in Gen 1.

Upvote 0