Earth, then light (Big Bang), Created on Day One; Sun, Moon and Stars Created on Day Four

Creation day 1 - 4 could have been very long, even millions of, 'present day years', long.

• This concept is allowable for a Creationist.

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • This concept is unallowable for a Creationist

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • The biblical definition of 'day', is one dark, light, cycle; Not 24 hours, until Day Four

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When we look one direction with our telescopes we see stars 13 billion light years out. When we look the exact other direction, we see stars 13 billion light years out. That is 26 billion light years across, and it is probably further because 13 billion light years is about all the farther our telescopes can see. What science articles are you reading?
Actually, we don't. We determine distances in ways that include time as well as space. If time were different out there, forget your billions of year thing. Funny thing is science has exactly zero clue what time may or may not be like out there.

• Agree
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The clear testimony of Scripture, you thought said that the earth was not created before the sun moon and stars?

The earth was safely under a hovering God.

Since the 'universe' will pass away one day soon, like I snap my fingers, or roll up a blind, and the earth will still be here, thank you very much, why would it be so strange that the earth was here before God rolled the universe into being!?
Your rambling again, the earth isn't going anywhere, it's going to be transformed right down to the elements melting with a fervent heat. The universe was created in Gen. 1:1 but covered with thick clouds and water, which is actually confirmed by modern science. The creation account describes the earth being transformed and life is created, about 6,000 years ago.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have read science say that the universe boarder is about 13 billion light years in all directions. Please tell me how far out the universes boarder is?
You can't get there from here, you can't even see it, and there is a pretty interesting question with regards to what the universe is expanding into.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Hello mmk,
Are you sure you want to go down as saying that the light God is talking about in Genesis One is God's Spiritual light and not God Creating physical light in the Universe?

24 hours is only the length of a, light and dark, cycle, when earth is in our sun's orbit. Earth is not Created into our sun's orbit till the Fourth Day of creation. The earths rotation is not known for Day One through to Day Four of Creation, so the duration of time between light and darkness could be anywhere from a couple of minuets to tens of millions of 'present day years'.

I never said a thing about spiritual light. I said there is what is called "invisible light"---apparently you didn't read the post.
"The earths rotation is not known for Day One through to Day Four of Creation," ---- then do not assume that it isn't a 24 hour rotation that God set in place. There is no way the days previous to day 4 were for any great length of time---

Gen 1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
Gen 1:12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
Gen 1:13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

If it had been eons before the 4th day---everything would have died.

The yom problem in addressing Genesis 1
The Hebrew word for day is yom and this word appears in Scriptures over 1400 times. And without exception this word, when written in the singular sense, means day. And that's it. Never anything else. Eons are indicated with the plural form: days, as in the days of such and such. The most popular counter argument is that the meaning of our word is fiercely restricted to 'day' for about a thousand times in the sequential Scriptures, but in the secluded chapter of Genesis 1 means something completely different! But honestly, if in Genesis 1 our word should have meant 'long time' it would have said 'long time'. There are words available in Hebrew that mean just that. None of which occur in Genesis 1.
The word as used in Genesis 1 means day and day alone. There's no way around it, and every serious theory to make (systematic, not theological) sense out of Genesis 1 should first and foremost address the yom-problem.

The word for day in Hebrew is written differently for the first 2 times it is used in the bible---

(בְּיוֹם / bê'yom)----space of timem an age or eons
(יוֹם / yom)-----24 hour day

Genesis 1:5
5 and~he~will~CALL.OUT(V) (וַיִּקְרָא / wai'yiq'ra) Elohiym (אֱלֹהִים / e'lo'him) to~LIGHT (לָאוֹר / la'or) DAY (יוֹם / yom) and~to~DARKNESS (וְלַחֹשֶׁךְ / wê'la'hho'shekh) he~did~CALL.OUT(V) (קָרָא / qa'ra) NIGHT (לָיְלָה / lai'lah) and~he~will~EXIST(V) (וַיְהִי / wai'hi) EVENING (עֶרֶב / e'rev) and~he~will~EXIST(V) (וַיְהִי / wai'hi) MORNING (בֹקֶר / vo'qer) DAY (יוֹם / yom) UNIT (אֶחָד / e'hhad)

and Elohiym called out to the light, day, and to the darkness he called out, night, and evening existed and morning existed, a day unit,
Genesis 2:17
17 and~from~TREE (וּמֵעֵץ / u'mey'eyts) the~DISCERNMENT (הַדַּעַת / ha'da'at) FUNCTIONAL (טוֹב / tov) and~DYSFUNCTIONAL (וָרָע / wa'ra) NOT (לֹא / lo) you(ms)~will~EAT(V) (תֹאכַל / to'khal) FROM~him (מִמֶּנּוּ / mi'me'nu) GIVEN.THAT (כִּי / ki) in~DAY (בְּיוֹם / bê'yom) you(ms)~>~EAT(V) (אֲכָלְךָ / a'khal'kha) FROM~him (מִמֶּנּוּ / mi'me'nu) >~DIE(V) (מוֹת / mot) you(ms)~will~DIE(V) (תָּמוּת / ta'mut)

but from the tree of discernment of function and dysfunction you will not eat from him, given that in the day you eat from him you will surely die,

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ha. Another planet?
I don't know the details. But Adam was kicked out and the way back is guarded. God said Creation was "Very Good" and I'll assume that meant no Tsunamis in Paradise.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have read science say that the universe boarder is about 13 billion light years in all directions. Please tell me how far out the universes boarder is?
There is no "border" known. Space is expanding.

Upvote 0

lsume

Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On Day One, God created earth. Then God said "Let There Be Light". I think it is obvious that the first light in the Universe was, what scientist refer to as, 'The Big Bang'. Earth was created first, and then the Big Bang was Commanded by God to come into existence.

Earth does not come into our sun's orbit till day four of Creation. So the conclusion is, that earth is getting it's light from the Big Bang, on Creation days one through part of day four. It is on day four that earth enters into orbit around our sun, and thus 24 hour day and night, month, and year, cycles, begin.

What is interesting is that plant life is already created on day three, before we have our sun.

As I have already explained in other posts: Using Time Dilation, Billions of years of Star Formation Can Occur in Six Days. It is scientifically allowable to get a young earth, from its origin, of before God creates light (The Big Bang), to the day Adam was made, in six 24 hour days, using scientifically proven Time Dilation. However, as for days one through part of day four, days are not locked into a 24 hour period yet. Depending on just how fast, or in this case, how slow, earth is rotating, days could even be tens of millions of, 'present day years', long, on day one through four, of Creation.

Lets discuss this.

Genesis 1:1 The Story of Creation.

Day One
In the beginning
, when God created the heavens and the earth and the earth was without form or shape, with darkness over the abyss and a mighty wind sweeping over the waters—

Then God said: Let there be light, and there was light.

God saw that the light was good. God then separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” Evening came, and morning followed—the first day.

Day Three
Then God said: Let the earth bring forth vegetation: every kind of plant that bears seed and every kind of fruit tree on earth that bears fruit with its seed in it. And so it happened: the earth brought forth vegetation: every kind of plant that bears seed and every kind of fruit tree that bears fruit with its seed in it. God saw that it was good. Evening came, and morning followed—the third day.
Day Four
Then God said: Let there be lights in the dome of the sky, to separate day from night. Let them mark the seasons, the days and the years, and serve as lights in the dome of the sky, to illuminate the earth. And so it happened: God made the two great lights, the greater one to govern the day, and the lesser one to govern the night, and the stars.

God set them in the dome of the sky, to illuminate the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. God saw that it was good. Evening came, and morning followed—the fourth day.
I generally never recommend any book other than The Bible and KJV at that. However, there is a book titled “The Science of God”, that you might find illuminating. Being involved with science most of my career and subscribing to periodicals like “Scientific American” and “MIT Review” used to be enjoyable reading. Once Christ opened my eyes, the books of the world faded from my interest. If my wife buys me a book as a gift, I generally always read it. Time is extremely relative to one’s place and speed in the universe. As I recall, our own sun due to its size, slows its clock relative to earths clock by about 13 minutes a year. I have no idea as to why so many cling to the age of the earth being around 6,000 years. I personally believe that the earth could be very old. Since there is nothing new under the sun, I tend to believe that man has been here before. All things that were created were created by and through and for Jesus The Christ. It was God’s Will for The Christ at creation.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"
On Day One, God created earth. Then God said "Let There Be Light". I think it is obvious that the first light in the Universe was, what scientist refer to as, 'The Big Bang'. Earth was created first, and then the Big Bang was Commanded by God to come into existence.

Earth does not come into our sun's orbit till day four of Creation. So the conclusion is, that earth is getting it's light from the Big Bang, on Creation days one through part of day four. It is on day four that earth enters into orbit around our sun, and thus 24 hour day and night, month, and year, cycles, begin.

What is interesting is that plant life is already created on day three, before we have our sun.

As I have already explained in other posts: Using Time Dilation, Billions of years of Star Formation Can Occur in Six Days. It is scientifically allowable to get a young earth, from its origin, of before God creates light (The Big Bang), to the day Adam was made, in six 24 hour days, using scientifically proven Time Dilation. However, as for days one through part of day four, days are not locked into a 24 hour period yet. Depending on just how fast, or in this case, how slow, earth is rotating, days could even be tens of millions of, 'present day years', long, on day one through four, of Creation.

Lets discuss this.

Day One
In the beginning
, when God created the heavens and the earth and the earth was without form or shape, with darkness over the abyss and a mighty wind sweeping over the waters—

God saw that the light was good. God then separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” Evening came, and morning followed—the first day.

Day Three
Then God said: Let the earth bring forth vegetation: every kind of plant that bears seed and every kind of fruit tree on earth that bears fruit with its seed in it. And so it happened: the earth brought forth vegetation: every kind of plant that bears seed and every kind of fruit tree that bears fruit with its seed in it. God saw that it was good. Evening came, and morning followed—the third day.
Day Four
Then God said: Let there be lights in the dome of the sky, to separate day from night. Let them mark the seasons, the days and the years, and serve as lights in the dome of the sky, to illuminate the earth. And so it happened: God made the two great lights, the greater one to govern the day, and the lesser one to govern the night, and the stars.

God set them in the dome of the sky, to illuminate the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. God saw that it was good. Evening came, and morning followed—the fourth day.
None of the above. I don't see the creation account a verbatim description of how the events transpired but rather a contextualized account of creation for a specific people and a specific time. The infallible qualities of the text, of course, transcend it and are more abstract but I don't see the text itself designed to be a literal even on the level of looking at the days as separate points. There are clear parallels in day 1 and 4, day 2 and 5, and day 3 and 6 that can structure the account but that does not necessarily indicate physical days or even time periods, for example, day 1 and 4 seem to be actually the same event.

There's a lot of other stuff going on too that tells us it's not a literal account, for example comparing the account to the Egyptian creation myth they are very similar and seeing how many of the Israelites coming into the desert probably had a very distorted version of God and probably heavily influenced on Egyptian mythology. The purpose of the creation account then is less important to tell what actually happened, which would be far too complex and turns it into a contextual account that's designed to de-paganize and unite the people as well as pointing to them to monotheistic Godhead at the source of all things. The take away is less about how he did it and more about that he did it.

Upvote 0

tripleseven

Feb 17, 2007
✟41,660.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe there is a "huge universe 27 billion light years wide with one septillion stars and unknown number of planets". :) That's just silly. :tearsofjoy:
Why are you trying to make God so small? Do you have any idea how AWESOME God is such an incredibly large universe with countless wonders? Don't limit what He has created to some dome with painted lights on it - how boring that would make creation.

Upvote 0

lsume

Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Lets discuss this.

Day One
In the beginning

Day Three
Day Four

Col.1 Verses 15 to 20

1. [15] Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
    [16] For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
    [17] And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
    [18] And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
    [19] For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;
    [20] And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
Everything that was created both visible and invisible were created By Through and For Jesus The Christ. I am aware that many believe that Christ and God The Father are one in the Same Person. That is not what I know. Each of The GodHead are unique and individual but one in Spirit. Christ did always that which pleased The Father. For Christ to experience being separated from God The Father for the first time since time was created at the cross, was an experience that only Christ could have. I honestly cannot comprehend what Christ went through at the moment when He Said “My God My God why hast though forsaken Me”. I honestly don’t think that their is another human ever born that experienced what Christ went through. Hell is seperation from The Father. Even today, God’s Good Light shines on the just and the unjust. There is a day coming when the world at large will know The Truth about Christ. Once a person receives Christ, that is when the battle for eternal life comes. Much training and growth should come immediately after one receives Christ. The signs given in The Bible should also occur.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why are you trying to make God so small? Do you have any idea how AWESOME God is such an incredibly large universe with countless wonders? Don't limit what He has created to some dome with painted lights on it - how boring that would make creation.

I'm not trying to make God small. You are reducing the importance His greatest creation, man, has to Him. You are taking local lights, intended only to give light on the Earth, for signs and seasons on the Earth, making them lights for other worlds and by mathematical odds, for other civilizations. You are calling His true creation boring, stating that your mysterious fantasy vacuum which men claim to travel though and will one day conquer; somehow all that is better.

I'm going by scripture and no where does it state there that God made what you speak of.

Furthermore, I find the creation awe inspiring. The majesty of the sky, certainly declares the glory of God, as creation itself does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JerseyChristianSuperstar

Feb 25, 2018
New Jersey
✟70,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1 John 1:5 - "This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all."

I'm a creationist who believes in a 6000-year old Earth. The fact that there were plants before the Sun was created is no problem at all for me, nor the fact that there was day and night either. It just shows that the light source was supernatural, emanating from God Himself, similar to when God used a pillar of cloud to lead His people through the terrain and give them direction.

God eventually decided to create a natural light source for the Earth to last permanently (until His Son's Second Coming), the Sun (greater light to rule the day), and the Moon (lesser light to rule the night).

:relaxed::blush::innocent:

-Cameron

Reactions: Zetetica
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your rambling again, the earth isn't going anywhere, it's going to be transformed right down to the elements melting with a fervent heat. The universe was created in Gen. 1:1 but covered with thick clouds and water, which is actually confirmed by modern science. The creation account describes the earth being transformed and life is created, about 6,000 years ago.
Not sure what you are talking about, the earth was created, and later the stars etc. I realize some people try to reinvent the bible and words and translations etc to try and weld it to agree with the foolish fables of phony so called science.

But they should take great care to present such left field opinions as less than matter of fact statements.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Lets discuss this.

Day One
In the beginning

Day Three
Day Four

You are taking what other humans have postulated, and applying it to the Word of God. It is tempting to use "science" to justify the bible - or make better sense of it. However, it is usually very dangerous.

Then, there is the problem of having never reproduced a universe in the lab (to test the theory), and so we are just juggling faith-based philosophies (between science and the Word of God.)

In the beginning, the Most High God created the Heavens and the Earth. This was before the definition of the first day was established - through the action of separating light from darkness. In other words, the earth is older than God-Defined time itself.

Reactions: dad
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟17,354.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Lets discuss this.

Day One
In the beginning

Day Three
Day Four

When God first spoke creation into being it was a LOUD LOUD sound

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Lets discuss this.

Day One
In the beginning

Day Three
Day Four

Notice the heavens (the universe) and the Earth are made in verse 1, and in verse 2 this very young Earth is in darkness.

Look in verse 2 and notice that.

See -- Earth has come into existence, already.

Earth exists, formless (a waterworld for instance) and is in darkness. During this verse. Earth and the Unverse are already existing, and Earth is in darkness.

So, therefore the light in verse 3, on the first day of special creation on Earth, cannot be the big bang and fit the text, because the big bang is (our modern idea of) how the Universe began to rapidly expand at the earliest moments of when it was in existence.

So, what is that light that lit up the Earth in verse 3?

The light that begins to shine onto the Earth in verse 3 causes a day night cycle!

Look at the verse 4-5, and see.

This isn't a diffuse light that is everywhere. Instead, it is causing a morning and an evening, day and night -- just like now.

That means the Earth is rotating and being shone on from a point like source, from the side, just like now, today.

The sun does this we know. But it was not visible in the vision until day 4.

Why not?

Because in the vision, Moses is describing what he is seeing, and he doesn't have clear skies to see above the clouds in the vision until day 4.

God tells him the heavens, the sun, moon and stars, are good for us, for helping us.

For helping make our home, Earth, "very good".

God designed this Universe, and Earth, so that this is a very good home for us (Genesis chapter 1). This is the key message -- the wonderful, awesome Universe we see is part of His creating a home for us that is "very good".

Of course, since we are not told how much time passed during verse 1, Earth could be in darkness before it's first light for a good while, much longer than just a year or 100 years, etc., quite easily. This would fit by the way what we see in telescopes also, where other young star systems have planets and young stars shining light onto them.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not sure what you are talking about, the earth was created, and later the stars etc. I realize some people try to reinvent the bible and words and translations etc to try and weld it to agree with the foolish fables of phony so called science.

But they should take great care to present such left field opinions as less than matter of fact statements.
It's commonly believed that the sun, moon and stars were created day four. Looking closely at the original it says they were made day four not created, two very different words translated 'created' and 'made' are used. As far as the disapproval of science or any naturalistic wirld view I expext and welcome their disaporoval. I base my view on the testimony of Scripture and have done extensive studies in Genesis, Job, Isaiah and the New Testament witness.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Notice the heavens (the universe) and the Earth are made in verse 1, and in verse 2 this very young Earth are in darkness.

Yes? Can you see that? Earth has come into existence, already.

Earth exists, formless (a waterworld for instance) and is in darkness. During this verse. Earth and the Unverse are already existing, and Earth is in darkness.

So, therefore the light in verse 3, on the first day of special creation on Earth, cannot be the big bang and fit the text, because the big bang is (our modern idea of) how the Universe began to rapidly expand at the earliest moments of when it was in existence.

The light that begins to shine onto the Earth in verse 3 causes a day night cycle!

This isn't a diffuse light that is everywhere. Instead, it is causing a morning and an evening, day and night -- just like now.

That means the Earth is rotating and being shone on from a point like source, from the side, just like now, today.

Why not?

Because in the vision, Moses is describing what he is seeing, and he doesn't have clear skies to see above the clouds in the vision until day 4.

God tells him the heavens, the sun, moon and stars, are good for us, for helping us.

God designed this Universe, and Earth, so that this is a very good home for us (Genesis chapter 1). This is the key message -- the wonderful, awesome Universe we see is part of His creating a home for us that is "very good".

Great points.

I would add however, that the light in creation week possibly came from the Spirit of God who was hovering over the seas. If that were the case, earth need not have been rotating to get morning and evening...He could have been moving!

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Notice the heavens (the universe) and the Earth are made in verse 1, and in verse 2 this very young Earth is in darkness.

See -- Earth has come into existence, already.

Why not?

Of course, since we are not told how much time passed during verse 1, Earth could be in darkness before it's first light for a good while, much longer than just a year or 100 years, etc., quite easily. This would fit by the way what we see in telescopes also, where other young star systems have planets and young stars shining light onto them.
I've always thought that.

Upvote 0