Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Can you please pray for me? I am taking the class in college called Earth science and it is required for me to get my AA degree. They teach evolution and they talk about how things came to be. They leave out God and I don't know how to discuss with my instructor about it. He likes to talk about the stuff and in fact we get extra credit just by talking to him about it.

What am I supposed to tell him? That I believe that God created the universe and that I don't believe things just didn't happen by itself?

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you please pray for me? I am taking the class in college called Earth science and it is required for me to get my AA degree. They teach evolution and they talk about how things came to be. They leave out God and I don't know how to discuss with my instructor about it. He likes to talk about the stuff and in fact we get extra credit just by talking to him about it.

What am I supposed to tell him? That I believe that God created the universe and that I don't believe things just didn't happen by itself?
It’s not a theology or philosophy course. Take the course material, study and test out well.

Learning what the course teaches will deepen your faith. As a Christian you know there is more than the material physical.

Your example as a good student showing up on time and respecting the teacher will go a long way as a witness to the Hope you have in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It’s not a theology or philosophy course. Take the course material, study and test out well.

Learning what the course teaches will deepen your faith. As a Christian you know there is more than the material physical.

Your example as a good student showing up on time and respecting the teacher will go a long way as a witness to the Hope you have in Jesus Christ.

Thank you very much. That is very good advice. You are definitely right about that. I don't need to get into an argument with my classmates and teacher. I can definitely do as you suggest. :)

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you very much. That is very good advice. You are definitely right about that. I don't need to get into an argument with my classmates and teacher. I can definitely do as you suggest. :)
If the teacher goes out of his bounds to make the course about philosophy of theology then you may want to remind him the course of about physical science. :)

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If the teacher goes out of his bounds to make the course about philosophy of theology then you may want to remind him the course of about physical science. :)

Good idea :)

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What major are you?

Right now I just want to get my transfer degree, which is just an AA degree. But I don't know what I want to do for my 4 year degree. The degree that I'm getting is just going to help me get into a 4-year college. And then I have to pick a major probably by January. I may go into psychology or elementary education. I don't know yet. But I am looking at psychology more. But I have to choose by January.

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Right now I just want to get my transfer degree, which is just an AA degree. But I don't know what I want to do for my 4 year degree. The degree that I'm getting is just going to help me get into a 4-year college. And then I have to pick a major probably by January. I may go into psychology or elementary education. I don't know yet. But I am looking at psychology more. But I have to choose by January.
Okay. Just being transparent, here, but I'm cool with evolution and old earth and all that.

But I'm also a psychologist, and let me tell you: You don't need earth science to do good psychology. Some people feel helped when you explain their problems in terms of evolutionary psychology, and you'll run into this issue again when you take other kinds of psychology classes, but you don't need evolution or earth science to be a good psychologist.

So just give them the answers they want you to give them, word things wherever you can to make it clear you're not necessarily agreeing with evolution and old earth (ex., write on an essay response, "The textbook says that the frontal cortex is the most recently evolved structure."), and don't make things more stressful than you need them to be by picking fights with the professor. Most profs are socially immature nerds who let the Ph.D. get to their heads, and an undergrad poking holes in their cherished ideas just makes them too mad to call things in your favor when you need the extra half-point on your final grade. Most innovation in ideas and technology comes from applied scientists anyway, so probability is, you'll make more of a difference than they will, once you have the degree you really want. Get back at them years down the line when you're a successful professional with kids you can homeschool to vote for politicians who won't fund their research grants.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Okay. Just being transparent, here, but I'm cool with evolution and old earth and all that.

But I'm also a psychologist, and let me tell you: You don't need earth science to do good psychology. Some people feel helped when you explain their problems in terms of evolutionary psychology, and you'll run into this issue again when you take other kinds of psychology classes, but you don't need evolution or earth science to be a good psychologist.

So just give them the answers they want you to give them, word things wherever you can to make it clear you're not necessarily agreeing with evolution and old earth (ex., write on an essay response, "The textbook says that the frontal cortex is the most recently evolved structure."), and don't make things more stressful than you need them to be by picking fights with the professor. Most profs are socially immature nerds who let the Ph.D. get to their heads, and an undergrad poking holes in their cherished ideas just makes them too mad to call things in your favor when you need the extra half-point on your final grade. Most innovation in ideas and technology comes from applied scientists anyway, so probability is, you'll make more of a difference than they will, once you have the degree you really want. Get back at them years down the line when you're a successful professional with kids you can homeschool to vote for politicians who won't fund their research grants.

Thank you very much.

I understand what you are saying. However, it was the only science class available, so the counselor told me that was the only class that I can take, and I have to take a science class in order for me to get my AA degree. Well, actually I have to take three science classes. There's another science class that I will be taking next quarter, which is about the weather. I don't remember exactly what it was called but it's only about weather and natural disasters. This is stuff that my counselor told me I have to take in order for me to get an AA degree.

Also, thank you so much for your advice and for that information. That was very helpful.

Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I understand what you are saying. However, it was the only science class available, so the counselor told me that was the only class that I can take, and I have to take a science class in order for me to get my AA degree. Well, actually I have to take three science classes. There's another science class that I will be taking next quarter, which is about the weather. I don't remember exactly what it was called but it's only about weather and natural disasters. This is stuff that my counselor told me I have to take in order for me to get an AA degree.
I get you. I was just putting things in perspective. Of course take the classes you need for the degree and pass them! But the class and the instructor aren't important for the career you think you want, so that's why I'm saying: It's not worth worrying over. Keep your ultimate goals in mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I get you. I was just putting things in perspective. Of course take the classes you need for the degree and pass them! But the class and the instructor aren't important for the career you think you want, so that's why I'm saying: It's not worth worrying over. Keep your ultimate goals in mind.

Oh, I know you were. I appreciate your input and your advice. And that's what I'm going to do is keep my ultimate goal in mind. I appreciate what you had to say. It was actually very helpful.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Boy is that a tricky one. Will the tests be essay by any chance so you can say "The evolutionists say...." without saying that you, yourself, agree with it. I hate to think it or say it, but generally such teachers as you have can be unsympathetic, even mocking, to say the least. I pray you will be given wisdom, guidance and protection.

Are you real sure there isn't some other course that could fulfill your requirements? (Well, probably you did check it out carefully. Just thought.)

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
P.S. You might want to search online to see what rights you have, through freedom of religion as guaranteed by the Constitution, so that you do not have to agree with something against your faith. I wonder if just possibly the American Center for Law and Justice, with Jay Sekulow, has already taken that issue to the Supreme Court. (Last I heard, they have always won all their Supreme Court cases.) Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

If you called them they might be able to cite some law, or case, and give you advice. Keep us posted.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Boy is that a tricky one. Will the tests be essay by any chance so you can say "The evolutionists say...." without saying that you, yourself, agree with it. I hate to think it or say it, but generally such teachers as you have can be unsympathetic, even mocking, to say the least. I pray you will be given wisdom, guidance and protection.

Are you real sure there isn't some other course that could fulfill your requirements? (Well, probably you did check it out carefully. Just thought.)

I don't think there's any other class. I have to take three science class and it's kind of too late.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Father, I pray for Christian students in such classes, that they will be able to pass such classes by proving they understand what is being taught by giving the "expected" answers on tests, but they will also know how to share in appropriate ways what they really believe, and good reasons for why they believe them. Teachers have been convinced on rare occasions that evolution is not correct. Amen.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think there's any other class. I have to take three science class and it's kind of too late.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.
If you have to do multiple choice, where you can't express your own beliefs and say "According to evolutionism...", I wonder if you could tell the professor or teacher that you will make a hand written note on each test page saying that you are giving the answers which conform to what the class teaches, but that you, yourself, believe there is a Creator Who made all things.

Upvote 0