Earth created in 6 days?

Duane Morse

Aug 14, 2002
Aurora, CO
Visit site
✟2,429.00
From what I read in Genesis, the 24 hour clock did not start until God made the Sun, Moon, and stars.
Up until then we find a "day" is the completion of a cause and effect.
Let there be Light, cause and morning, and Light was, effect and evening of the "day".
So no "time" can be associated with those first "days". Time was in effect, but there is no way to determine just how long they were.
And in the overall picture of Genesis chapter one, the seven days are completed. And this has not happened yet in our "time" frame. Adam was split into Adam and Eve on the sixth "day", but our saga is not over yet. Satan has yet to be thrown into the lake if fire, New Jeruselem has yet to descend. So most likely we are still in that same "day" six or just getting into "day" seven. After nearly six thousand years of our "time".

I find no supportable evidence to suggest the "days" of creation have anything to do with a 24 hour period.

And I also find no problem if God really did do it in distinct 24 hour periods either. When the creation began it was already finished in the Mind of God. God was just adding the final ingredient, Light, to the mix to solidify His Thought. It could have happened in "day" periods of 24 microseconds for all we really know. God is outside of time. It is all the same instant to God Almighty.

Upvote 0
You bring up many good points. I was curious about what others on here believed. I agree that God is out of time and we can't know the specifics. I believe the Earth is older than many claim. There was some guy that came to our church claiming that God created the earth in 6 literal days just because he can. All along I was thinking how could the dinosaurs have lived, died and fossilised within that amount of time. He even claimed that carbon dating is false. I don't think he did all his homework even though he had good things to say despite the young earth stuff.

Upvote 0

Duane Morse

Aug 14, 2002
Aurora, CO
Visit site
✟2,429.00
And how does 2 Peter 3:8 answer this question? Peter is saying the a day to us is not one of Gods days.
one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

So are you saying it was 24 hour periods ot that it is not or that we do not know?
Looks to me like the term "day" can mean many durations.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think this is one of those issues where Christianity doesn't really necessarily have an answer. Some people have beliefs about this based on various interpretations of the Bible, but it's not a question that affects salvation either way. Believe whatever you want; it's not on the test.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have moved thread from Questions About Christianity. It is more appropriate in this forum.

Edited to ask- why is there a rating system? Are we supposed to rate each other or something?

Art, you have your private message option turned "off" or I'd have sent you the answer to your question. Briefly, it is a rating system based on your opinion of other members.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by Art Vandalay
Sunstone, I would like to hear your explanation for fossils dated millions of years old, dinosaurs, etc. How long ago do you think Adam was created?

Edited to ask- why is there a rating system? Are we supposed to rate each other or something?

Dinosaurs are a figment of your imagination! :p J/K

I believe that when God made Adam, he made him a full grown man capable of taking care of himself as far as feeding himself, walking, and things like this.
I also believed that God could have made the earth the same way, as old as he wanted it to be. Thats why you can see stars, even thou it lightyears come into play.

Upvote 0

Hank

has the Right to be wrong
May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Originally posted by SUNSTONE
Dinosaurs are a figment of your imagination! :p J/K

I believe that when God made Adam, he made him a full grown man capable of taking care of himself as far as feeding himself, walking, and things like this.
I also believed that God could have made the earth the same way, as old as he wanted it to be. Thats why you can see stars, even thou it lightyears come into play.

&nbsp;The question on how old earth is was not the question, the question was how one can explain fossils that are million of years old?

BTW, the rational of the age of our solar system is based on the activity of the sun.

My question, sure Adam and Eve would have needed to be at a given age to support them self, the sun depends on the fuel in this case hydrogen to be a sun. When hydrogen runs out so does the sun's energy. Why would God needed to make the Sun 5 billion years old to be active?

Also to 'see' objects that are 14 billion light years away, they would need t be at least to be 14 billion years old.

&nbsp;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

camaro540

Jan 28, 2002
Visit site
✟15,744.00
Faith
Messianic
Originally posted by Hank
&nbsp;The question on how old earth is was not the question, the question was how one can explain fossils that are million of years old?

BTW, the rational of the age of our solar system is based on the activity of the sun.

My question, sure Adam and Eve would have needed to be at a given age to support them self, the sun depends on the fuel in this case hydrogen to be a sun. When hydrogen runs out so does the sun's energy. Why would God needed to make the Sun 5 billion years old to be active?

Also to 'see' objects that are 14 billion light years away, they would need t be at least to be 14 billion years old.

&nbsp;

This earth is millions, even billions of years old. Not only is the proof before our very eyes, it is also in the Word of God. But I do not know if people here are interested in what the Word of God has to say about this or not, or if this is just a head scratching session...

Upvote 0

Hank

has the Right to be wrong
May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Originally posted by camaro540
This earth is millions, even billions of years old. Not only is the proof before our very eyes, it is also in the Word of God. But I do not know if people here are interested in what the Word of God has to say about this or not, or if this is just a head scratching session...

Beats me. I am just voicing my opinions. Why not say what you want to say anyway? Or, what does&nbsp;your Bible say?

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IMO there was never a creation as layed out in the Bible. No six says, seperation of the waters etc..

To me these are simply stories given to explain things that were way beyond the peoples understanding at the time. They are more ment as spiritual stories rather than a historical or scientific account. Much of the OT seems to be this way. Like the flood, Exodus, and much of the "history" of the jewish people show no signs of being literaly true. Even parts of the NT seem to be more story than historical fact.

I don't feel that seeking the historical and scientific truth is harmful to Christianity as a whole, but for those that base their beliefs on a literal only interpretation of the Bible it might seem that it is.

Upvote 0