Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
3 dead after strong quake shakes southern Philippines

3 dead after strong quake shakes southern Philippines

AFP
February 10, 2017

A strong quake shook the southern Philippines on Friday, killing at least three people, toppling buildings and sending panicked residents fleeing their homes, media reports and authorities said.

The 6.5-magnitude earthquake knocked out power in the city of Surigao, more than 700 kilometres southeast of the capital Manila, and an unknown number of people are believed to be trapped in rubble.

At least seven people were injured by falling debris in the quake which the US Geological Survey said struck at a depth of 27 kilometres at 10:00 p.m (1400 GMT).

The Philippine seismological office recorded a magnitude of 6.7 with an epicentre 14 kilometres north of Surigao. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there was no tsunami threat.

Three people have died, radio station DZMM reported, citing the military, but no further details were given.
I suppose I might misunderstand your putting that 6.7 magnitude earthquake in this thread.

As I understand the energy release of 6.5 magnitude is not a qualifying high level to be considered to be of notable prophecy scale .. when compared with those of far higher magnitude like that in 2004 that caused tsunami's and the shortening of hours in the day.

The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake occurred at 00:58:53 UTC on 26 December with the epicentre off the west coast of Sumatra, Indonesia. The shock had a moment magnitude of 9.1–9.3 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX. The undersea megathrust earthquake was caused when the Indian Plate was subducted by the Burma Plate and triggered a series of devastating tsunamis along the coasts of most landmasses bordering the Indian Ocean, killing 230,000–280,000 people in 14 countries, and inundating coastal communities with waves up to 30 metres high. It was one of the deadliest natural disasters in recorded history. Indonesia was the hardest-hit country, followed by Sri Lanka, India, and Thailand.

It caused the entire planet to vibrate as much as 1 centimetre (0.4 inches). The shift of mass and the massive release of energy very slightly altered the Earth's rotation. The exact amount is not yet known, but theoretical models suggest the earthquake shortened the length of a day by 2.68 microseconds, due to a decrease in the oblateness of the Earth.

It also caused the Earth to minutely "wobble" on its axis by up to 2.5 cm (1 in) in the direction of 145° east longitude,[35] or perhaps by up to 5 or 6 cm (2.0 or 2.4 in).
The wobbling is written of in Isaiah 24:19 The earth is broken asunder, The earth is split through, The earth is shaken violently. 20 The earth reels to and fro like a drunkard And it totters like a shack, For its transgression is heavy upon it, And it will fall, never to rise again.
21 So it will happen in that day, That the LORD will punish the host of heaven on high, And the kings of the earth on earth.

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On Friday, 13 April 2029 AD two weeks after Passover, an asteroid called Apophis will pass Earth within 19,400 miles (31,300 kilometers), that’s just one twelfth of the distance from the Earth to the moon! It is 325 meters wide, and Apophis is Greek for ‘The Ship,’ but in the false ancient Egyptian religion it is their evil god, depicted by a snake or dragon who dwells in the eternal darkness of the underworld.

Apophis belongs to a group of asteroids that spend most of their time inside the orbit of the Earth nearer to the sun, occasionally these asteroids are pulled or pushed further out for a variety of reasons, and that is what has happened with Apophis. First discovered in 2004 it’s currently orbiting the sun slightly faster than the Earth, overtaking us every seven years, and occasionally crossing the orbital pathway of the Earth. Although astronomers have said it should not hit the Earth within the foreseeable future, this of course is assuming nothing changes its predicted trajectory, without wanting to worry anyone, it would only take a small collision with a smaller asteroid, or another body passing close by it, for Apophis to change course and then be on a collision course with the Earth. Of course this has been thought of and there are plans to try and prevent any such eventuality, whether any of these plans would work is another matter. However, during its pass by earth in 2029, it should be seen sailing across the night skies of Europe as a bright third magnitude star, moving at about one degree per minute. But if this asteroid is what John saw in his revelations, then it would have looked to him as just another star and then this would have been what John would have also described this as:

Revelation 9:1
The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss.

If Apophis did happen to hit the Earth its impact would amount to an explosion equivalent to about 402 MT (million tons) of TNT, the Hiroshima nuclear explosion was the equivalent to 16 thousand tons of TNT. Therefore this would be the equivalent to over 25 thousand Hiroshima bombs. The largest nuclear explosion ever set off was 100 MT, exploded by the Russians in Siberia in 1960. The Indonesian earthquake that created the December 2004 tsunami was equivalent to 250 MT. With an estimated impact speed of 12.6 km/sec, if Apophis hits deep ocean it would create a tsunami with almost four times the energy. John describes this scenario a second time:

Revelation 8:8-9
8 The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, 9 a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

The deep impact of such an asteroid into the sea bed would release huge amounts of oil and pollutants that would kill many sea creatures as described, as well as destroying many sea vessels as also described. However, this is of course assuming the trumpets are not in chronological order, but then much of the Bible is also not in chronological order, so this would be a fair assumption. In fact it sounds like the events described by the trumpets and bowls all happen at about the same time, as they are very similar in their descriptions of the predicted events.

At its estimated impact speed if Apophis hits sea, with an average depth of 2.7 km, it would also impact the sea bed, producing a large crater, ejecting enough material into the upper atmosphere to produce a dirt cloud that would circle the entire world, which by then will be the Anti-Christ’s Kingdom, and it would dim the sun:

Revelation 16:10
The fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and its kingdom was plunged into darkness.

And:

Revelation 8:12
The fourth angel sounded his trumpet, and a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them turned dark. A third of the day was without light, and also a third of the night. The dirt cloud containing oil and other pollutants would rain down all over the world poisoning the water supplies:

Revelation 16:3-4
3 The second angel poured out his bowl on the sea, and it turned into blood like that of a dead person, and every living thing in the sea died. 4 The third angel poured out his bowl on the rivers, and springs of water, and they became blood.

And:

Revelation 8:10-11
10 The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers, and on the springs of water 11 the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.

Wormwood is translated from the Greek word Apsinthos, which although sounds similar to Apophis, is actually also the name of a plant that is very bitter to taste, and is used to make an alcoholic drink called Absinth, which is around sixty percent proof. It’s aniseed flavoured and is derived from the flowers and leaves of the Wormwood plant. Figuratively, Wormwood is intensely bitter, grievous, and brings very sad results:

Jeremiah 9:15
Therefore thus saith the LORD of Hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will feed them, even this people, with wormwood, and give them water of gall to drink.

I sincerely hope Apophis does miss us as predicted, but the Bible also teaches us that although Hell is in another dimension it’s also located below us:

Proverbs 15:24
The path of life leads upward for the prudent to keep them from going down to the realm of the dead.

And:

Ephesians 4:9
But what does, He ascended, mean except that He descended to the lower parts of the earth?

And:

John 8:23
But he continued, You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.

The star John saw that had fallen from the sky to the Earth,is given the key to the shaft of the Abyss, and could possibly be in reference to this asteroid that could literally smash a hole in the Earth’s crust, and a produce a deep shaft into the Earth. John then describes that strange creatures come from the dirt cloud that is created, which then descend to the Earth:

Revelation 9:1-12
1 The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss. 2 When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss. 3 And out of the smoke locust came down on the earth, and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. 4 They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any plant or tree, but only those people who did not have the seal of God on their foreheads. [The 144,000 have the seal of God] 5 They were not allowed to kill them but only to torture them for five months. And the agony they suffered was like that of the sting of a scorpion when it strikes. 6 During those days people will seek death but will not find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them. 7 The locusts looked like horses prepared for battle. On their heads they wore something like crowns of gold, and their faces resembled human faces. 8 Their hair was like women’s hair, and their teeth were like lions’ teeth. 9 They had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the thundering of many horses, and chariots rushing into battle. 10 They had tails with stingers, like scorpions, and in their tails they had power to torment people for five months. 11 They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek is Apollyon (that is, The Destroyer). 12 The first woe is past; two other woes are yet to come.

This may seem a far fetched scenario to some, but the spiritual dimension and ours are right next to each other. This impact could open up a portal between the two, thus releasing these inter-dimensional entities into our dimension. (I will discuss more about this topic in chapter thirteen). I don’t know for sure if Apophis will hit us, but the object John describes as being something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, that is thrown into the sea, and the resultant effects does sounds very much like an asteroid hitting the Earth, and it’s a very big coincidence that an asteroid big enough to cause the effects listed in the trumpets and bowels, is predicted to be at it's nearest to the Earth on Friday 13 April 2029, just five months before Jesus returns on 24th September 2029, which is the same amount of time that Revelation says the locusts are attacking people for.

As much as I don’t want to believe it, Apophis seems like it will hit the Earth around Friday 13 April 2029, knocked off course by Satan I imagine and this will change everything and Apophis could also be another reason why the mark of the beast is issued.The locusts will descend upon on the Earth for five months and with the Anti-Christ they will then wage war against Israel which will result in Israel’s total defeat. Jerusalem will be captured and many of the 144,000, along with the Two Witnesses, will be killed.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,799.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I suppose I might misunderstand your putting that 6.7 magnitude earthquake in this thread.
It is greater than 6.0. I usually post 5.0 or greater.But did you read the OP? If not, please do. :)

Upvote 0

Jezmeyah

member since 7-14-16
Jul 14, 2016
Indiana
✟32,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is greater than 6.0. I usually post 5.0 or greater.But did you read the OP? If not, please do. :)
The OP concerns eschatology which refers to future events of a prophetic nature. That is why I posted the magnitude event of 2004 which was a greater effect, and included the scripture to indicate it's relevance.

In contrast, it seems that you are including any general event that to me does not apply. Forgive me for misunderstanding.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,799.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The OP concerns eschatology which refers to future events of a prophetic nature. That is why I posted the magnitude event of 2004 which was a greater effect, and included the scripture to indicate it's relevance.

In contrast, it seems that you are including any general event that to me does not apply. Forgive me for misunderstanding.
Did you notice who started the thread?

Upvote 0

LilShepherdBoy

Seek First the Kingdom of God & His Righteousness
Jun 15, 2015
Physically here but mentally with God.
✟43,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Putin orders Russia's air force to prepare for a 'time of war' — and NATO doesn't stand a chance right now

Putin orders Russia's air force to prepare for a 'time of war' — and NATO doesn't stand a chance right now

Vladimir Putin orders Russian Air Force to be prepared to launch attacks at ANY MINUTE – as fears over World War III continue to grow

Vladimir Putin orders Russian Air Force to be prepared to launch attacks at ANY MINUTE

Putin orders Russia's air force to prepare for a 'time of war,' putting NATO in rocky standing

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/02/09/putin-orders-russias-air-force-to-prepare-for-a-time-of-war-putting-nato-rocky-standing/21710714/

Upvote 0

stephen583

Jan 12, 2016
Salt lake City, UT
✟24,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Only 2 percent of "Near Earth" asteroids have been identified and catalogued so far. Several times during the last decade asteroids have appeared seemingly from out of nowhere and passed between the Earth and the Moon.

I believe the last one was only spotted 48 hours before it passed the Earth.

Also, the recent huge asteroid strike on Jupiter and other planets and moons in our solar system has caused space scientists to raise significantly the mathematical probability of some unknown huge asteroid, or comet striking the Earth in the near future.

In the past, astronomers believed such an event would be extremely rare and unlikely to occur for thousands of years. Today, not so much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stephen583

Jan 12, 2016
Salt lake City, UT
✟24,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Joel uses the metaphor of an army to describe how this destruction moves across the earth as it rotates- ‘with the dawn’.

Funny how fundamentalists insist on a literal interpretation of the Bible, until they have to explain some distorted interpretation of prophecy, and then everything suddenly becomes a metaphor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,799.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...llistic-missile-sea-japan-abe-trump-meet-u-s/

North Korea fires ballistic missile, drawing tough response from Abe, Trump

SEOUL/PALM BEACH FLORIDA – North Korea on Sunday staged its first ballistic missile test since Donald Trump took office, a move denounced by Japan’s leader who won “100 percent” backing from the new U.S. president.

South Korea said Pyongyang is testing Trump.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called the launch “absolutely intolerable.”

“North Korea’s most recent missile launch is absolutely intolerable,” Abe said through a translator. He added that the North must comply fully with relevant U.N. Security Council resolutions, but also noted that Trump had assured him that the U.S. supported Japan.

“President Trump and I myself completely share the view that we are going to promote further cooperation between the two nations. And also we are going to further reinforce our alliance,” he said.

Trump responded with an assurance to Abe, currently visiting the U.S., that Washington is committed to the security of its key Asian ally.

“I just want everybody to understand and fully know that the United States of America stands behind Japan, its great ally, 100 percent,” he said, without elaborating.

In Tokyo, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suge told reporters the launch was “clearly a provocation to Japan and the region.”

The missile was launched around 7:55 a.m. from Banghyon Air Base in the western province of North Pyongan, and flew east toward the Sea of Japan, South Korea’s Defense Ministry said.

It flew about 500 km (300 miles) before falling into the sea, a ministry spokesman said, adding the exact type of missile has yet to be identified.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,820.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Funny how fundamentalists insist on a literal interpretation of the Bible, until they have to explain some distorted interpretation of prophecy, and then everything suddenly becomes a metaphor.
Sorry Handmaid, but I cannot let this accusation pass.
It is YOU: Stephen, who allegorizes Joel 2.
It clearly says: 'like an army'. What is described is impossible for an actual army to do, but reading Joel 2:1-11 from the angle of it being a earth directed explosion of the sun, it makes perfect sense.
Why do you not like the idea of the Lord sending fire, Amos 1, Zephaniah 3:8, 2 Peter 3:7, to Judge and punish His enemies?

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Latest on Oroville Dam spillway collapse.

I live in this county. Nothing has collapsed. The main dam is fine, no concerns there. The emergency spillway is the focus of concern from authorities and experts.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,799.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I live in this county. Nothing has collapsed. The main dam is fine, no concerns there. The emergency spillway is the focus of concern from authorities and experts.
I do pray that you are safe. But, here is a live report. Stay safe.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.