Earning favor

A Christian can earn favor with God by doing good works.

• Total voters

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
True.

Proverbs 18:22
Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord.

There are Christian men who do not have the gift of singlehood who go to the grave wifeless. The reason being that even though they are approved and accepted in God's sight, and eternally a child of God, they did not earn favour in comparison to their brothers in God for various reasons (but all the reasons come down to a character issue and thus related to a person's level of faith and their works).

So basically they are rebellious or lazy children, and because of this they do not recieve God's favour in comparison to their brothers.
They have favour, the favour of a person who recieves salvation, but they do not have that additional favour that comes with a believer walking upright with their Lord.

Many different types of saved Christians and thankfully they are all not treated as equal when it comes to their integrity. That would be unjust.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True or False

Would this be an example of "favor" ?

Revelation 3

10 Because you have kept My command to endure with patience, I will also keep you from the hour of testing that is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. 11 I am coming soon. Hold fast to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.12 The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will never again leave it. Upon him I will write the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God (the new Jerusalem that comes down out of heaven from My God), and My new name.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Psalms 5:12 "For thou wilt bless the righteous;
O Jehovah, thou wilt compass him with favor as with a shield
."

One must be 'right doing' to be in God's favor.

Genesis 6:8-9 "But Noah found favor in the eyes of Jehovah. These are the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, and perfect in his generations: Noah walked with God."

Noah found favor in the eyes of God for Noah was a righteous, right doing man, perfect/blameless man who walked with God.

Therefore to CONDITIONALLY receive God's favor requires one to CONDITIONALLY be righteous.

So God's favor is a CONDITIONAL free gift God bestows upon men who meet the CONDITION of doing righteousness. Meeting conditions (righteousness) placed upon a free gift (grace) does not earn the free gift.

How do we today under the gospel find favor in the eyes of God as Noah did?

As Noah, we must be right doing in believing, repenting confession and submitting to baptism for remission of sins. By having sins remitted we can be perfect/blameless as Noah was before God. As Noah did, we are to walk with God 1 Thessalonians 4:1; 1 John 1:7 doing as God says to do as Noah did all God commanded of him, Genesis 6:22.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Very interesting question!

But the answer is not completely simple. My first impulse is "no" but you must define "favor" and "earn" and maybe to a degree "works".

We can "earn" nothing with God in terms of God owing us anything. However, our actions, thoughts, attitudes, etc. will have an effect on who we are as a person and our relationship with God.

That relationship can potentially have an effect in how and what we experience in life, but that part is certainly not as simple not guaranteed. And it still has nothing to do with "earning" as though God pays us something owed.

Favor is another question. God is love. God loves all. He is not swayed about by His reactions to us. However, a parent who loves three children must respond to them differently when one is diligently pursuing a goal, another has his heart set on good action but is getting discouraged or struggling, and the third is being rebellious and threatening to go his own way. God is always doing what is good (ultimately - i.e. for salvation) for each of us, so that will look different for each one, and we can't even understand how that is working (at least not usually until hindsight, and often not then).

It's good to think about. But not simple to answer. And how one understands the words makes a big difference.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’d have to disagree. And here’s why.

While Mary did the better thing, Jesus was loving in His response to Martha. So if Mary has more favor, then He would have rebuked Martha.

Plus, I don’t think our works have any bearing on how God sees us. We are His children, and if His love is unconditional, then there’s no favor of one over another.
Yes, I agree with that too. That's why the yes or no question is a little unfair.

I'm not nice to people because I have it in my mind that this will earn me some favor with God...but because it just become second nature to us, I think.
Although we can still be unthoughtful at times...this is why we sin...we still have our sin nature although it's changing.

If a person is saved, he's saved. Sometimes I'm called a legalist and I'm asked HOW MANY good works are necessary to keep our salvation. This is a question akin to How Much Faith Is Necessary To Be Saved.

One can do little works, one a lot, one none for whatever reason,,,and they are still saved.

Why do you think Jesus told Mary she picked the right way?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
True or False

Favor means grace

Look first at the word 'grace.' ... So grace is favor, "unmerited favor." Salvation by Grace. Grace is, therefore, God's unmerited favor - His goodness toward those who have no claim on, nor reason to expect, divine favor. The principal manifestation of God's grace is in the form of a gift, not one's works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
True or False

Luke 1:30
30 Then the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.

Luke 2:52
52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Acts 7:46
46 who found favor before God and asked to find a dwelling for the God of Jacob.

1 Samuel 2:26
26 And the child Samuel grew in stature, and in favor both with the Lord and men.

Psalms 5:12
12 For You, O Lord, will bless the righteous; With favor You will surround him as with a shield.

Proverbs 3:3-4
3 Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart,
4 And so find favor and high esteem In the sight of God and man.

Proverbs 8:33-35
33 Hear instruction and be wise, And do not disdain it.
34 Blessed is the man who listens to me, Watching daily at my gates, Waiting at the posts of my doors.
35 For whoever finds me finds life, And obtains favor from the Lord;

Proverbs 12:2
2 A good man obtains favor from the Lord, But a man of wicked intentions He will condemn.

Has a Christian come into relationship with God such that he can no longer act to obtain favour from His heavenly Father? A Christian has certainly been accepted by God quite apart from any noble or praiseworthy thing he could do that might earn God's favour, but I'm not sure this means that a believer who is accepted by God cannot find any special favour with Him.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

"A good man obtains favor from the LORD, but a man of evil devices he condemns."

The condition of this being about Christians is superfluous. We're not an exotic species. One person earns favor the same as any other. This does not mean that salvation comes by works, and it doesn't even refer to God's love.

You have two cars in the garage. One you keep for sentimental reasons. The other you keep so that you can get to work in the morning. You love them both. You save them both. In choosing which to drive, you favor the one that works.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True or False

Matthew 25:23 describes the results of the faithful servant:

"His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord."​

Because they were faithful over a few things, they will be ruler over many things and they are told to enter the joy of their Lord.

Matthew 25:24-25 refers to the unprofitable servant:

24 "Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine."​

Matthew 25:30 describes the final end or result of the unprofitable servant:

"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."​

John 5:29 says, "And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation."

One has to do back flip twists beyond the plain meaning of these verses in order for it to mean something different. Such verses then become nonsensical and the Bible does not make much sense and becomes a book of mystery.

Side Note:

Please take note that I do believe that a person cannot obey God (or be faithful) without first being saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"A good man obtains favor from the LORD, but a man of evil devices he condemns."

The condition of this being about Christians is superfluous. We're not an exotic species. One person earns favor the same as any other. This does not mean that salvation comes by works, and it doesn't even refer to God's love.

You have two cars in the garage. One you keep for sentimental reasons. The other you keep so that you can get to work in the morning. You love them both. You save them both. In choosing which to drive, you favor the one that works.
Interesting post.

I've often said that we need to work for God because WE are His hands on this earth...It's US that need to do His work for Him...for instance: Feed the hungry, visit the sick.

I did say that God favors the one who works more,,and it's becoming more clear to me as to the reason.

It's not even that He loves one over the other...but FAVORS one over the other.

Favor [N]

Finding favor means gaining approval, acceptance, or special benefits or blessings. There is also a close association among favor, grace, and mercy, which are sometimes used to translate the same Hebrew and Greek words (such as hen [ej] and charis [cavri"]). The favor that human beings receive from God depends on his good pleasure and is often extended in response to prayer or righteous living. Those whose walk is blameless, such as Noah or Moses ( Gen 6:8 ; Exod 33:12-13 ), receive favor and honor from the Lord ( Psalm 84:11 ). In Moses' blessing on the twelve tribes he speaks of Joseph's prosperity and fruitfulness as the one who enjoyed God's favor ( Deut 33:16 ). Gabriel told Mary ( Luke 1:30 ) that she had "found favor with God" and would bear the Christ-child. When Christ was born the angelic host announced to the shepherds that God would send "peace to men on whom his favor rests" ( Luke 2:14 ). At age twelve Jesus enjoyed the favor of God and men as he "grew in wisdom and stature" ( Luke 2:52 ), a description similar to the one about the boy Samuel ( 1 Sam 2:26 ).

Often the bestowal of God's favor comes in answer to prayer as people cry out for mercy. Moses pleaded that God would spare Israel in spite of their sinful worship of the golden calf ( Exod 32:11 ). Moses prayed that he might know God and learn his ways so that his favor might continue ( Exod 33:12-13 ). Sinful kings such as Manasseh humbled themselves and sought the Lord in their distress, and he graciously showed them favor ( 2 Kings 13:4 ; 2 Chron 33:12 ). Sometimes, however, the Lord withheld his compassion and brought judgment on his people (cf. Isa 27:11 ).

Still, when the full force of his judgment struck Israel, God did not abandon the nation but restored them from exile. He showed compassion to this people and saved them from their distress ( Psalm 106:4 ; Isa 60:10 ). Isaiah calls this deliverance the "time" or "the year of the Lord's favor" (49:8; 61:2), which is linked with the day of salvation in the New Testament ( Luke 4:19 ; 2 Cor 6:2 ). Those who believe the gospel receive the ultimate gift of God's favor: eternal life through Christ.

Human approval can be gained through faithful and effective service. Joseph enjoyed the favor of Potiphar as he wisely administered Potiphar's estate, though ultimately this recognition came through God's blessing ( Genesis 39:4 Genesis 39:21 ). Ruth found favor in the eyes of the wealthy Boaz because of her kindness to her mother-in-law, Naomi ( Ruth 2:2Ruth 2:10 Ruth 2:13 ). Although David was badly out of favor with Saul, even the Philistines realized how quickly David could have regained that favor through his military skill ( 1 Sam 29:4 ). A king's favor brought many benefits to the recipient ( Prov 16:15 ).

Because of sin God requires sacrifices to make atonement and restore his favor. In the Old Testament animal sacrifices were presented at the sanctuary with the hope that God would accept them and forgive the sins of the offerer ( Lev 1:3-4 ). Such acceptance was not automatic, however, for the offerer had to have an attitude of repentance and humility (cf. Gen 4:4-5 ; Micah 6:7-8 ). When Christ died on Calvary, the perfect sacrifice was presented, making it possible for all who believe to enjoy God's favor ( 2 Cor 6:2 ).

source: Favor Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry AT,,,
I thought you said Jesus said this to Martha..I mean that she had picked the right way.

He was speaking TO Martha but ABOUT Mary.

Correct.
Thanks!
Now we're on the same page ... ;^)

• Agree
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've often said that we need to work for God because WE are His hands on this earth...It's US that need to do His work for Him...for instance: Feed the hungry, visit the sick.

I did say that God favors the one who works more,,and it's becoming more clear to me as to the reason.

It's not even that He loves one over the other...but FAVORS one over the other.
This is illustrated in the parable of the Prodigal Son.

The father LOVES both of his sons, but undoubtably, he will FAVOR the elder brother for his faithfulness.

Luke 15

29 So he answered and said to his father, ‘Lo, these many years I have been serving you; I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might make merry with my friends. 30 But as soon as this son of yours came, who has devoured your livelihood with harlots, you killed the fatted calf for him.’

31 “And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours. 32 It was right that we should make merry and be glad,for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.’ ”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is illustrated in the parable of the Prodigal Son.

The father loves both of his sons, but undoubtably, he will FAVOR the elder brother for his faithfulness.

Luke 15

29 So he answered and said to his father, ‘Lo, these many years I have been serving you; I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might make merry with my friends. 30 But as soon as this son of yours came, who has devoured your livelihood with harlots, you killed the fatted calf for him.’

31 “And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours. 32 It was right that we should make merry and be glad,for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.’ ”
Yes, this is also true of children.
Parents could have two children...
They love both, but will favor the one that gives them less problems, obeys more, and even does more for them.

Does this mean the love is conditional?
No. They LOVE both,,,,but FAVOR one.

I'm thinking of the Two Sons....the father loved both...but one did his will and one did not. It's more likely that the father will favor the one that did his will.

Upvote 0