I'm His
Jun 13, 2011
U.S.A.
✟53,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it selfish to pursue a career or side job using the talents God has given me? Ever since I could pick up a pencil I have been drawing and I have been into art my whole life. I have struggled for many years of not using my talents to support my family and I, or at least help out with bills, food, because I feel I should using it for God, not for my needs, and esp not making money from it. Is this wrong to think like this? To have dreams? I mean they are not big, but i really want to sell my work. I want to help my family financially if I am able to. Everytime I try to do something, it never works out..it gets frustrating..i don't know if it's Satan or I need to try harder. Thanks for your advice.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
There is nothing ungodly about earning a living. God gives us talents for that reason. It is a waste of your talents to ignore then and spend your life struggling in an area where you have no talents.

However, watch to make sure a side job doesn't steal time and energy from your primary job or family. However, you have to remember there are a lot of talented artists out there and making a career out of art is very difficult.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Thank you.
Yes, I know, that's why we are called starving artist. :) This wouldn't be a career, just something on the side. I just thought it was selfish to make money..I don't know why. I get that guilty feeling sometimes.

By your thinking, the fact that my God given talent is taking care of others would mean that it is evil that I chose nursing as a career. It would mean that people who have the gift of teaching, couldn't be teachers. And that all pastors would have to have a side job because they couldn't accept money for preaching.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is it selfish to pursue a career or side job using the talents God has given me? Ever since I could pick up a pencil I have been drawing and I have been into art my whole life. I have struggled for many years of not using my talents to support my family and I, or at least help out with bills, food, because I feel I should using it for God, not for my needs, and esp not making money from it. Is this wrong to think like this? To have dreams? I mean they are not big, but i really want to sell my work. I want to help my family financially if I am able to. Everytime I try to do something, it never works out..it gets frustrating..i don't know if it's Satan or I need to try harder. Thanks for your advice.

No, it's not selfish or sinful to use your God given talent(s) to earn a living...
the thing is don't resort to using your artistic skills to draw stuff that's not honoring to God & His Word.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How you use your God-given talents is between you and God.

I am a musician, and I have a LOT of friends who are professional musicians. I will not take any remuneration for my talents, beyond perhaps them paying for practical expenses like travel, etc.

The problem is some of my paid musician friends at times wonder if I judge them for being paid. I do not; and have told them that several times.

Upvote 0