✟1,389,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
President Trump vows to put American workers first. As a candidate:
“We will ensure that E-Verify is used to the fullest extent possible under existing law, and we will work with Congress to strengthen and expand its use across the country,” he declared in a 2016 speech in Arizona.

Yet nearly two years into his administration he has yet to make E-Verify a priority. Only eight states require employers to use E-Verify today.

“The president has been very weak on this subject,” said Roy Beck, president of NumbersUSA, an organization that has campaigned for a national E-Verify mandate since 1996 in its quest for reduced immigration. “Even though he’s not pushing hard for it and even though the Republican leadership has been really sluggish on this, the Republican Party as a whole is overwhelmingly for this.”

“Allowing businesses to employ people illegally is like the government leaving the keys in an unlocked car,” Beck said. “You’re going to get a lot of stolen cars.”

E-Verify has proved effective at keeping immigrants who are in the country illegally from taking American jobs. In Arizona, which pioneered the mandatory checks in 2008, the number of unauthorized workers dropped 33 percent below what was projected without the requirement, according to a 2017 analysis by the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...5eac230e514_story.html?utm_term=.8f333f09c41b

• Informative
Reactions: Go Braves

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Pres. Trump called for making improvements to the E-Verify system in order to support a nationwide mandate in his 2018 budget request to Congress. Requiring all employers to use E-Verify is the top step in our 'Ten Steps to Fixing the Broken Immigration Enforcement System'.

Pres. Trump will need help from Congress, though........

Oh I wonder why nothing is getting done.....

• Informative
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pres. Trump called for making improvements to the E-Verify system in order to support a nationwide mandate in his 2018 budget request to Congress. Requiring all employers to use E-Verify is the top step in our 'Ten Steps to Fixing the Broken Immigration Enforcement System'.

Pres. Trump will need help from Congress, though........

Oh I wonder why nothing is getting done.....

Has the President made it a priority?

When is the last time Trump uttered the word e-Verify?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why would he? It's wonky egg head policy stuff. It makes a lousy pep-rally chant and does little to inspire voters.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟325,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would he? It's wonky egg head policy stuff. It makes a lousy pep-rally chant and does little to inspire voters.

It may be "egg head policy stuff" but it is likely to be the most effective way of curbing illegal immigration -- far more effective than any wall. People will stop immigrating illegally if they can't get jobs here.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It may be "egg head policy stuff" but it is likely to be the most effective way of curbing illegal immigration -- far more effective than any wall. People will stop immigrating illegally if they can't get jobs here.
I agree and that's the position I have been advocating for some time now, however as I said, that does not get people riled up. A low key solution to the problem leaves the issue dead with no more milage to get from it. Hence why the chant is build the wall rather then, verify their documents.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟325,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree and that's the position I have been advocating for some time now, however as I said, that does not get people riled up. A low key solution to the problem leaves the issue dead with no more milage to get from it. Hence why the chant is build the wall rather then, verify their documents.

I suspect Trump knows that if he gets eVerify up and running that he will have no chance at getting his wall built.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

Well, to be fair, if we put it on the businesses then, you know.....

We can't demonize the people coming here who are Undesirables.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, to be fair, if we put it on the businesses then, you know.....

We can't demonize the people coming here who are Undesirables.
I know, can't point out that the only way that illegals get jobs is by US employers making use of illegal labor. As with the "build the wall" chant "they took our jobs" is a lot more useful to those in power then "your jobs were given to an easily exploitable work force that will do them for less".

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I know, can't point out that the only way that illegals get jobs is by US employers making use of illegal labor. As with the "build the wall" chant "they took our jobs" is a lot more useful to those in power then "your jobs were given to an easily exploitable work force that will do them for less".

It's the end result of viewing corporations of paragons of virtue that need as much power as possible and viewing non-Americans (especially those that aren't from Europe) as vermin.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's the end result of viewing corporations of paragons of virtue that need as much power as possible and viewing non-Americans (especially those that aren't from Europe) as vermin.
In my view it's just a gaping hole in the "they took our jobs!" narrative. It is framed as some how the illegals showed up and started working without anyone taking notice nor hiring them. The other side of the equation, employers that hire illegal labor, are not even made mention of.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟325,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my view it's just a gaping hole in the "they took our jobs!" narrative. It is framed as some how the illegals showed up and started working without anyone taking notice nor hiring them. The other side of the equation, employers that hire illegal labor, are not even made mention of.

Exactly, we require use of eVerify and add stiff penalties for businesses/anyone that hires illegal immigrants, including requiring enforcement of the law (likely by ICE). Again, illegals will quit coming if they know they can't get jobs.

Unfortunately, it seems Trump is more interested in paying lip service to immigration, and using methods we already know will not be effective (like a wall), rather than risk alienating businesses (and the big money donors).

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
You'd think this thread would get more traffic...

I think using eVerify and focussing on heavily fining uncompliant employers is how we will get illegal immigration under control. I would also welcome the return of the guest worker program for certain industries.

• Agree
Reactions: Queller
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would also welcome the return of the guest worker program for certain industries.
The program still exists, it is just not made use of because people chose economics over principal. Why spend the money to comply with the program and pay field hands more when they can just bring in illegal labor for less and face no repercussions for doing so while improving their margins?

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
The program still exists, it is just not made use of because people chose economics over principal. Why spend the money to comply with the program and pay you field hands more when you can just bring in illegal labor for less and face no repercussions for doing so?

Dang it! I just assumed it was gone- will research, but it makes sad sense...

It really does tick me off that the people who benefit the most from illegal immigration are never villified the way their exploited employees are.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Has the President made it a priority?

It is number one on his list. He will get it thru tho despite opposition. Democrats need it for a talking point at the moment, but Trump will get it thru.

1. Make E-Verify mandatory for all U.S. employers to eliminate the jobs magnet.
  2. Complete the Congressionally-mandated biometric entry/exit system to track non-immigrant visitors to the U.S.
  3. End the practice of birthright citizenship for illegal aliens and foreign visitors.
  4. Require state and local law enforcement to report affirmatively all non-citizens in custody to ICE, make ICE detainers mandatory, and require ICE to pick up and remove deportable aliens.
  5. Expand expedited removal to include all illegal aliens with criminal convictions.
  6. End catch-and-release of illegal aliens by requiring that they be detained until removal.
  7. Deny immigrant and nonimmigrant visas to nations that refuse to repatriate their citizens.
  8. Reform the judicial process in immigration courts, including restricting relief from removal, to expedite the process and reduce the backlog of cases.
  9. Restrict asylum to the internationally recognized definition of those who are unable to be returned to the home country due to a well-founded fear of (state) persecution due to race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.
  10. Allow Border Patrol access to all federal lands.

• Optimistic
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, it seems Trump is more interested in paying lip service to immigration, and using methods we already know will not be effective (like a wall), rather than risk alienating businesses (and the big money donors).

...it's so obvious...yet so many give Trump a pass on this very point.

Upvote 0