Dwelling in the Past?

Are we dwelling in the past?

• Yes, absolutely. How d we expect to move on with out lives if we compare every litle thing to 911.

• Hmm, a bit overused bt I think that's a good thing.

• Not really sure.

• I don't think it is used THAT much, and I probably don't watch the news at all.

• Way underused, we should compare everything with 911. It is holy ground.

• Other, please post it in a reply.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Finrod

Dubyah's Evil Twin
Aug 7, 2002
Atlanta
Visit site
✟190.00
Is it just me, or does it seem like people are dwelling in the past.I was just watching the news when President Bush, in all is *wisdom* was shown making a speech. In his speech, he talked about how there is a crisis in the country right now which involves a *wave* of child-related crimes, which are actually not up. Unsurprisingly enough, he even had the nerve to *compare* it to 911. I'm sorry, but that is just ridiculous. The same goes for those miners in Pittsburg. It was actually all over the news that relatives of one of the 911 crashes sent their sympathies to the miner's families. How does this relate to ANYTHING? I mean, 911 was a terrible tragedy and many died...but gimme a break.

I think the fact that people refer to it has 9/11 and not New York, or World Trade Centers says something. I haven't decided what that is, but it's different from our past Pearl Harbor.

As well, the simple fact that people can't just go on with their lives shows how childish this country is. I know for a fact that there are a good number of people who cower in fear (at least in Atlanta) over the stupidest little things!

What do you think?

KeepTheFaith15

Thats Me whats can i say?
for some people it's very hard to let go of the past altho it would be good for them to let it all go and move on some just cant and it's not your place or mine to judge or get mad at them for it. some cant get over pearl harbor, or 9/11 thats because those were too big tragedys that changed the world, and sometimes people are scared it may happen again and they get worried, your right they should move on but some it's got a hold on them so bad that they just cant and we should just pray for them instead of quick to get mad or dissapointed that they cant let it go.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Finrod
As well, the simple fact that people can't just go on with their lives shows how childish this country is.

I think it's pretty darn easy to be an armchair quarterback stating that people are childish that not are dealing with the past.

On 09/11, my country that I love, these United States came under attack on the mainland in a terrible and horrific manner.

Fathers, mothers, sons and daughters were taken from their loved ones by the cowardice acts of terrorists. Loved ones, that will deal with these losses for the remainder of their lives.

I know what is like to lose loved ones in war(my brother and uncle during the Vietnam War) but I can't fanthom the emotions encountered losing loved ones at the hands of terrorism.

Comparing 09/11 and the increase of evil such as child abduction and murder is not absurd if one is a Christian and has even a little knowledge of Biblical Prophecy and the age we live in.

I wish you could have a face to face opportunity to speak with the Fire Fighters and Police Officers of NY to tell them they are being childish for not dealing with tragedy in a benign manner. If not them the wifes, husbands and children of those that perished on that day of maddness of terrorism.

I have seen death. I've watched men that were my best friends, fellow Marines ,die right beside me during the Vietnam War. Do I still carry pain and sorrow over the death of my fellow, Brother In Arms? Most definitely.
Am I childish because I still carry the pain? I would not want to be the so-called man that would dare utter such a thing in my presence.

GySgt James
USMC 71-84
Vietnam Vet 71-74

2713semper_fi2.jpg

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
I think the fact that people refer to it has 9/11 and not New York, or World Trade Centers says something. I haven't decided what that is, but it's different from our past Pearl Harbor.

I think that it is just a sign of media's laziness and desire to compress news events into the shortest possible time. Try to think about something that can describe the all of the events of 9/11 that is quicker to say.

Upvote 0

servingtheking

Jul 4, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟8,722.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think that this may not be a kind thing to say but i will say it.  I mean yes the attacks were horrible and many people lost their family members, and my thoughts and prayers go out to those people. I belive that people should take the time and mourn the loss of thier loved ones and those people may have not yet moved on with their lives, but thats ok. As a country though I agree that the comparing a horrible national tradgety to what are in comparison minor events is sickining.

Upvote 0

tyler4588

Apr 6, 2002
California
✟15,319.00
Faith
Christian
>>I think the fact that people refer to it has 9/11 and not New York, or World Trade Centers says something. I haven't decided what that is, but it's different from our past Pearl Harbor.

I think that the reason that most people refer to it as 9/11 instead of the World Trade Center attack is because it didn't just happen at the World Trade Center. They attacked the Pentagon also, and attempted to hijack another plane which crashed and killed all of the passengers onboard.

Upvote 0
I agree with fragmentsofdreams' and gunnysgt's perspective. In fact, with just about everyone who has replied, I agree with them at least somehow, if not completely. And Gunny knows what it is like. Bless you, Gunnysgt, for being willing to fight for our country. As they say, "Freedom is not free."

Finrod: I disagree. Whole families have been wiped out. People's lives have been changed forever. I think that to tell them to move on with their lives is a very narrow-minded approach. I think you would feel very differently if someone you loved dearly died because of the terrorist attacks. It is simply not fair to deny their feelings like that and tell them to get over it. I don't think they will ever really "get over it," whatever that means, but most will learn to live with it. That's what I pray, anyway.

God bless America.

Upvote 0

Edge

Jul 8, 2002
✟7,795.00
Faith
Christian
I would be more concerned with the trite patriotic hyperbole and manufactured emotion that even now occupies discussions on the subject. Since none of you actually suffered because of the attacks, I can't see where you find justification for your endless stream of self-righteous proclaimations of grief and anger. Some people actually lost friends and relatives: let them speak for themselves.

So yes, the nation needs to get over its stolen tragedy. It never should have assumed it. Just as we have no right to dictate the "proper" period of mourning, we most certainly do not have the right to intrude on their grief with our cheap sympathy.

[/rant]

Upvote 0