✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi TPOG,

I don't think unconditional love is a term or concept found in the Scriptures. We know from the Scriptures that God's love endures forever. We know that God shows His love for us through and by the sacrifice of His Son. I know that in my years of studying the Scriptures I've never come across a passage that would lead me to believe that God's love is unconditional.

It would seem to me that if God's love were somehow 'unconditional' then we'd have to ask why God would curse Adam and Eve? Why does disobedience to God bring death? If there were no conditions for God's love to be fully received and enjoyed by the creature called man that He created, then why did God smite Nadab and Abihu? Why would there be a final judgment and separation between humanity?

Perhaps you could provide a source for your understanding.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
I have always understood from a concordance i had that agape, a word used for God's love, meant unconditional, unchanging love.
In scripture it talks about God being no respecter of person .

That's right. Gods love is not conditional love. It's not, “I'll love you 'if'.....".

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have always understood from a concordance i had that agape, a word used for God's love, meant unconditional, unchanging love.
In scripture it talks about God being no respecter of person .

Agape isn't unconditional love. It is self-sacrificing, selfless, charitable love. In a sense, that is unconditional. But, we tend to think of unconditional as "I can do whatever I want and you will love me"--the love of a co-dependent.

So, it is unconditional in the charitable sense, but it is not unconditional in the co-dependent sense. Unconditional, like agape, are words that do not translate easily into our culture.

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2015
✟796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agape isn't unconditional love. It is self-sacrificing, selfless, charitable love. In a sense, that is unconditional. But, we tend to think of unconditional as "I can do whatever I want and you will love me"--the love of a co-dependent.

So, it is unconditional in the charitable sense, but it is not unconditional in the co-dependent sense. Unconditional, like agape, are words that do not translate easily into our culture.

if God loves us when we are filthy sinners , I would argue that is unconditional love.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

So Gods love is a response to certain conditions being met by us? What are those conditions?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So Gods love is a response to certain conditions being met by us? What are those conditions?

You should have read the entire post instead of just the first line. I explained that in paragraph 2.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
God's loving hand is extended toward "all" of us, all of the time throughout our lives, but it is only those who take that hand who get saved and receive and have God's love in us, get the priviledge of going to heaven.

God'd loving hand is extended toward the wicked and the sinner all throughout his life, by taking that hand God will lead you in repentance from your sins and you will be saved and go to heaven...

(Ezekiel 18:19-32) but I would just like to point out verses 23 & 32...

23- "Do I take any delight at all in the death of someone wicked, is the utterance of the sovereign Lord, and not in that he should turn back from his ways and actually keep living?"

32- "For I do not take any delight in the death of someone dying (in their wickedness and sins), is the utterance of the sovereign Lord, so cause a turning back and keep living, Oh you people."

God loves us all and gives each and every one of us equal chances and opportunities, But he cannot change the laws of this world in that sin causes death, so he urges us to "repent" and turn to him, or turn to him, and repent, and keep living and get everlasting life...

God Bless!

Upvote 0