✟16,089.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Orthopraxis/index.php?act=site

Justin, please click the YouTube video at this site.

Then watch it, even if you have done so already.

I don't see how anyone can be interested in playing D&D after watching this video.
I've seen that video 10 times or so now, and everytime I see it, it gets better. Only 6 more days till Divine Liturgy! 5 till Vespers, since no Vespers on Wednesday sadly :(

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey guys.

I almost flamed Repentant earlier, because I used to play D&D, and I still feel the desire to play it. I think he really came across sounding like a holier-than-thou jerk in a couple of his posts.

But bottom line, I am beginning to think he is right.

I don't care if D&D or HP are only 0.0000001% accurate in their representation of magic/witchcraft/demons/"gods"/whatever... If one is engaging their time and attention in these activities, they are making these activities, and what they represent (even only in the most minuscule of manners), part of who they are.

I think the same thing is true of other secular entertainment, such as AC/DC, Soulfly (one of my favorite bands), WWE, 007, Happy Tree Friends, ad nauseum... I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one, need to begin thinking about curbing my entertainment-based lifestyle.

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

AJB4

Senior Veteran
Sep 21, 2006
New Zealand
✟11,180.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I mean, I'll type a spell used in the Harry Potter novels. [sarcasm]See what it does to you.[/sarcasm]

Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy, Stupefy

*Rawr*!!

Upvote 0

Breaking Babylon

Who is this King of glory?
Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think they are. I think they're friends who are struggling in both their own ways and in similar ways, easily impressionable at a fragile time in life, rubbing off on each other.

And I think that if they put as much zeal into seeking Christ as they did in video games and searching every corner of nowhere they'd be much better off than I am. ;)

I hope and pray your search is leading you home AJ. We're not much different, you and I.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Silentchapel

Saviour of the World, have mercy on us!
Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Who is condemning? I am just saying what the Church says. If you practice witchcraft, or enjoy in it, that is not Orthodox. There is no room for it in the Church. Byt like Michael said, people must justify what the want to do anyway...
I just love your 'I'm saying what the Church is saying' stance. You're saying it, interpreted the way you want it to say.
Btw - does Christ support murders? I recall that in couple of parables of His people die.
I don't enjoy witchcraft. I don't use it on people. I don't read how to do it.
I repeat. I have no problem with repentant's stance. I have a problem with the way he's reprisenting his beliefs. It makes us who like RPGs or Harry Potter look like we're advocating free love, homosexual unions or nestorianism.

Upvote 0

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just love your 'I'm saying what the Church is saying' stance.
I don't enjoy witchcraft. I don't use it on people. I don't read how to do it.
I repeat. I have no problem with repentant's stance. I have a problem with the way he's reprisenting his beliefs. It makes us who like RPGs or Harry Potter look like we're advocating free love, homosexual unions or nestorianism.

So if I say that the Church's stance is to not commit fornication, what would you say? Am I wrong? Is it "holier than thou" as some have said to state what the Church says? Or is it because you refuse to acknowledge the fact the HP is witchcraft, you have to say this bologna about how "you love my what the Church says stance"..?

And PLEASE PLEASE STOP BLOWING THINGS OUT OF PREPORTION with your homosexual, nestoriasm accusation crap..

Upvote 0

Silentchapel

Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So if I say that the Church's stance is to not commit fornication, what would you say? Am I wrong? Is it "holier than thou" as some have said to state what the Church says? Or is it because you refuse to acknowledge the fact the HP is witchcraft, you have to say this bologna about how "you love my what the Church says stance"..?

And PLEASE PLEASE STOP BLOWING THINGS OUT OF PREPORTION with your homosexual, nestoriasm accusation crap..
Yes, I do agree that it is wrong to do fornication.
However - do I perform witchcraft when I read HP? Answer: no.
And if you disagree with this (since you're clairvoyant enough to know who's 'real' Orthodox), do SHARE how I practice sorcery by reading HP.
Btw - a lot of people here say that their stance may not reprisent the stance of the Orthodox Church, or that people should ask their priest. You say none of these things. You just claim it is the teaching of the Orthodox Church (I don't recall a canon against Harry Potter), claim who's a real Orthodox and who's not - and especially on a subject where opinions are rather divided. My SF sees nothing wrong with HP (except that he considers it bo-riiing), so you'll excuse me if I don't consider you my Vice Spiritual Father.
And you're the one blowing things out of proportion - if reading Harry Potter is the criteria for being or not being true Orthodox - I just don't know what to say.

Upvote 0

repentant

Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, I do agree that it is wrong to do fornication.
However - do I perform witchcraft when I read HP? Answer: no.

Did you ever take Philosophy 102 in college? It's a critical reasoning class, you know if A then B kinda stuff. Ok now let's take a chapter out of that book.

Question: Does HP have witchcraft rather real or fake in it?

Answer: yes

Q: Is witchcraft condemned or condoned by the Church?

A: Condemned.

Q. Is fornication condemned or condoned?

A. Condemned, even said by you.

Q. Is it ok to watch r-rated sex movies, even if the sex acts are not real?

A. No it is not.

Q. Are you fornicating when you watch these movies?

A. No.

Q. Does it matter? Is the sin still going into your thoughts?

A. Yes and yes.

Q. So how is it the sin of witchcraft is ok to watch and read in HP, but late night Cinemax is not?

A. IT ISN'T!!!

IF (A) inappropriate content rather real sex or not should not be watched by an EOC..

THEN (B) movies or books with other forbidden things SUCH AS WITCHCRAFT should not be watched and read as well...

Do you agree with this assesment?

And if you disagree with this (since you're clairvoyant enough to know who's 'real' Orthodox), do SHARE how I practice sorcery by reading HP.

Again, puting words in my mouth, I NEVER said that.

Btw - a lot of people here say that their stance may not reprisent the stance of the Orthodox Church, or that people should ask their priest. You say none of these things. You just claim it is the teaching of the Orthodox Church (I don't recall a canon against Harry Potter), claim who's a real Orthodox and who's not - and especially on a subject where opinions are rather divided.

The stance of the EOC is AGAINST WITCHCRAFT..do you not understand that? Don't try to make this whole thing about me saying real or fake Orthdox..it was something said to wake people up. Stop twisting this whole arguement.

My SF sees nothing wrong with HP (except that he considers it bo-riiing), so you'll excuse me if I don't consider you my Vice Spiritual Father.
And you're the one blowing things out of proportion - if reading Harry Potter is the criteria for being or not being true Orthodox - I just don't know what to say.

And it is still sad your SF says this. Like I said it is no wonder the leity think this garbage is ok, and why MY SF, who happens to be a very well known and respected Monk from Mt. Athos, is very strict on who he gives the blessing to become a Priest..again get off the true Orthodox thing that was taken completely out of proportion..you are only upset because I said it was sad your SF does not condemn it...and it is, sorry to tell ya..

But yes, if you live a certain life you are not really Orthodox are you? Is a prostitute really Orthodox?

Upvote 0

Silentchapel

Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh man. Where should I even start!

Q: Is murdering condemned by the Church?
A: Yes it is.
Q: Is watching a war movie killing?
A: No, it's not.
Q: Am I sinning when watching a war movie?
A: I will let you answer this.

The problem here is that Harry Potter doesn't tell you how to do witchcraft, it is about people people who perform fairy tale magic. That's the big difference.
Oh, btw - saying hurtful things in order to 'wake people up'? Please. We're supposed to be Christians here, not politicians.
Oh, and for 'sf form Mt. Athos' - I've witnessed how monkish spiritual fathers destroy laity. Simply, they project their strictness onto their spiritual children who come from laity - which either accept the strictness or snap and leave Orthodoxy. There is a heated discussion overhere whether monks should even be alloved to be spiritual fathers to laity.
Well, prostitutes aren't practicing Orthodox. Sorcerers apparently aren't practicing Orthodox. Am I a sorcerer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

repentant

Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh man. Where should I even start!

Q: Is murdering condemned by the Church?
A: Yes it is.
Q: Is watching a war movie killing?
A: No, it's not.
Q: Am I sinning when watching a war movie?
A: I will let you answer this.

If you are going to try and be brilliant, then at least get it straight. You talk about murder in one sentence, and then killing in war in another. Please tell me how this is the same thing? Didn't God strengthen David, Konstantine, etc. in battle? War is a necessary evil, murder is not the same thing..

The problem here is that Harry Potter doesn't tell you how to do witchcraft, it is about people people who perform fairy tale magic. That's the big difference.
Oh, btw - saying hurtful things in order to 'wake people up'? Please. We're supposed to be Christians here, not politicians.

So JKR admitting that 1/3 of the spells are REAL has not sunk in to your head yet i take it?

Oh, and for 'sf form Mt. Athos' - I've witnessed how monkish spiritual fathers destroy laity. Simply, they project their strictness onto their spiritual children who come from laity - which either accept the strictness or snap and leave Orthodoxy. There is a heated discussion overhere whether monks should even be alloved to be spiritual fathers to laity.

Obvioulsy you do not know your Orthodox history...this is probably the most ignorant statement coming from an EOC I have ever heard on this board. It is actually above the "HP is ok" statements in ignorance..

Well, prostitutes aren't practicing Orthodox. Sorcerers apparently aren't practicing Orthodox. Am I a sorcerer?

Are you?

Upvote 0

AJB4

Senior Veteran
Sep 21, 2006
New Zealand
✟11,180.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Is it obvious yet that Justin and AJB4 are the same person...?
We're not! I swear. We are MSN Chat friends now though ;). But no, we do have a ton in common, and we share a lot of struggles, but we're not the same person. I can swear that on a stack of Bibles if you want.

19566.jpg

Upvote 0

Seeker of the Truth

Walking is harding than Talking.
Aug 20, 2006
Georgia
✟10,243.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
We're not! I swear. We are MSN Chat friends now though ;). But no, we do have a ton in common, and we share a lot of struggles, but we're not the same person. I can swear that on a stack of Bibles if you want.

19566.jpg
I don't think Justin plays Morrowind.

Case closed. ^_^

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.