Saviour of the World, have mercy on us!
Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Orthodoxy does not have "fundies" just like Islam does not have "radicals"..either you're Orthodox or you're not. Orthodoxy is not a name, it is a way of life..and anyone who reads Harry Potter garbage, or plays Dungeons and Dragons is not LIVING or PRACTICING Orthodoxy..
There is a perfect story for you somewhere in the Bible.
"Thank you God that I don't read Harry Potter or play D&D unlike Matrona or Justin overthere..."
PubPhar.jpg

Frankly, I perfer an Orthodox who plays D&D and Harry Potter over the one who thinks that he can speak on the behalf of the entire Church and decide on his own who's a true Orthodox and who's not. Who made you an Ecumenical Council?

Reactions: nutroll
Upvote 0

AureateDawn

Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I will go easy seeing you are 16, but what do you say of JKR admitting that 1/3 of HP is based on really believed witchcraft? Using something real in a fiction setting does not make the whole thing fiction...

Ya. Let's eliminate clouds, grass, trees, fire, etc. In fact, why use English to write the book?

Upvote 0

Seeker of the Truth

Walking is harding than Talking.
Aug 20, 2006
Georgia
✟10,243.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
2) I'm aware that Rowling has described herself as Christian. So does nearly half the population of the world. What exactly does that word mean? And how does it affect the objections to her work?

Frankly, claiming to be a Christian doesn't mean squat nowadays.

However, it seems as though she has instilled some Christian-like "morals" in the series.

As far as the genuine names for the spells...I love history, accuracy, myths/legends, etc. So, if I hear something familiar beating throughout books I've read, it simply means that it's alive (in the sense that people have carried it through the ages). For example: the Sorcerer's Stone. I've never heard of it, but when I read the Alchemist about a month ago, I saw it's name and the author wrote about it (it had a key part in a few "personal legends"). I loved it because I knew that it wasn't "made-up" in the sense that other authors have used it.

Upvote 0

Guineverelyndy

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.
Feb 25, 2006
California
✟8,696.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay... I keep seeing people reference Jesus's comments on lust and saying that is the same thing as someone playing, say, a wizard in an rpg game.

Let's look at this logically, people. What is lust? It's a desire or a fantasy about doing something that you want to do and that you cannot do righteously. Both of these factors have to exist for it to be lust.

Do I want to kill people? No. Do I want to cast spells? No. Case closed. The example does not apply. I cannot speak for everyone else - maybe there are people who really wish they hex other people. In that cash, rpg are probably not a good thing for them and may well be sin.

Do any of you play RISK? How about Monopoly? The game RISK involves conquering the world and wiping out countries. Does this mean you are a power-hungry tyrant at heart? Or perhaps is it really just a game?

Upvote 0

Guineverelyndy

Feb 25, 2006
California
✟8,696.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One more thing I'd like to add that most people seem to be overlooking. Role-playing is not playing yourself. You are playing a character just like an actor plays a character. You just happen to be writing the script as you go. Now tell me, are actors sinning when they play characters who sin?

And to those who asked, yes, I play WoW.

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟279,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what to make from this thread. I don't really think that one can argue that these things are just fantasy and therefore ok. Fantasy is to an extent a way of coping with what we want but can't have, a way of constructing, or participating in a world that is more like what we want than what God has created. In that sense I think that fantasy is not a good thing when indulged in. And yet, when Christ taught us, He taught in parables. Sometimes it is easier to make a point, to teach a lesson, or to express a truth in a fictional world where one can craft each and every character and situation in order to make their point. I think fantasy can be a good thing insofar as it points to God, rather than away from Him. If there are Christian principles being presented which are taken from the fantasy world into the real world, I think it is good. If however, one takes bad things from fantasy into the world, or withdraws from the world into fantasy, it is harmful.

As a teenager, I played a lot of different role playing games. I only played D&D once, as I didn't like that I had to know so much about mythological characters. I mostly played Superhero, espionage, and Star Wars RPGs (so yes I was a nerd). But all of them involved escaping into a world of fantasy for a while, and all of them involved violence to a certain extent. However, I always distinguished between what occurred in the game and real life. I was able to walk away from is having had fun for a few hours, and nothing more. My characters used violence only when attacked or to serve the greater good, and most times, I tried to think of ways to avoid violence whenever possible. I would rate my experience with RPGs somewhere between harmless and beneficial. However, I have seen other people get drawn into these fantasy worlds. I have seen people become obsessed with the games, studying their monster manuals, and learning all that they can from them about mythological beasts. I can't think of a single one of them that is a Christian, although that is probably a correlation rather than causality.

As for Harry Potter, I read the first book, mostly because I wanted to know what the fuss was all about. I didn't find it offensive, neither did I find it particularly interesting (sorry to the Harry Potter fans, it's just not my thing). I can't imagine that it serves as a gateway to witchcraft for children. I know as a kid, I watched Star Wars compulsively, and I have from time to time tried using the force to reach the remote control or get me a drink from the refrigerator, but only ever as a joke. I think that the argument against Harry Potter being presented here lies on the presumption that not only are the spells actual spells as the quote Repentant gave says, but that they specifically call upon demonic powers. I don't know that this presumption is warranted. In 1 Corinthians, St. Paul says that the people could eat foods that had been offered to pagan gods. The reason that they could do this is that there is only one God, and that all those gods are not real. It seems to me that the spells in Harry Potter might be very real spells, but calling upon absolutely nothing. However, St. Paul then goes on to say that they ought not to eat the food so as not to scandalize those who are weak in the faith. I don't think that we ought to give children something that could potentially be dangerous to them. They are (generally speaking) not yet strong in their faith, and could be swayed. I am glad that the Harry Potter books have done so much to encourage children to read. I hope that it does them no spiritual harm, but I am not the one to decide for them and their parents what they should and should not read.

Ultimately, I think that parents should spend more time teaching their children to love God, to love his Holy Church, and to instill in them a burning desire to please God. If a child is given this wonderful gift, they will know for themselves whether something is drawing them toward God or away from God, and they will want to shun those things that are not beneficial to their souls.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,711.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay... I keep seeing people reference Jesus's comments on lust and saying that is the same thing as someone playing, say, a wizard in an rpg game.

Let's look at this logically, people. What is lust? It's a desire or a fantasy about doing something that you want to do and that you cannot do righteously. Both of these factors have to exist for it to be lust.

Do I want to kill people? No. Do I want to cast spells? No. Case closed. The example does not apply. I cannot speak for everyone else - maybe there are people who really wish they hex other people. In that cash, rpg are probably not a good thing for them and may well be sin.

Do any of you play RISK? How about Monopoly? The game RISK involves conquering the world and wiping out countries. Does this mean you are a power-hungry tyrant at heart? Or perhaps is it really just a game?
Hi Guinevere,
I'm not sure you read my post on this carefully:
http://foru.ms/showpost.php?p=37898485&postcount=56

it is made clear that what happens in the mind is just as real, for spiritual purposes, as actually doing it. I think that says something about a LOT of what goes on in FRPGs.

Lust is not the only sin that takes place in the mind.
No one is saying that games or fantasy are inherently wrong and I wish it wouldn't keep getting painted that way. But if we make conscious choices to do something we know would be wrong to do in real life it is still wrong. So would it be wrong to defeat infidel hordes trying to take Constantinople? No. Would it be wrong to develop a civilization and defend yourself from your neighbors? No. Would it be wrong to summon a demon? Yes.

Obviously we have to identify many of these lines to not cross on our own - if we're lucky we'll have guidance from a SF - but if we justify all behavior as - "It's just a game" then we are ignoring the principle of sins committed by the mind - in our fantasies - or as one of our prayers goes - "...the dark fantasies of Satan..."

Upvote 0

Silentchapel

Saviour of the World, have mercy on us!
Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Great post nutroll. This reminded me of a story...
This woman came with her kids to the church - and she never misses out a single service. However, the priest noticed that her kids weren't all too happy with being so regular. So he came to them and asked: "Kids, do you like going to the church?" Kids just say: "No." "And does your Mom ever make you cookies?" "No..."
So the priest turns to the woman: "Sister, go home with these kids and make them cookies." "But Father, what about the service!?" "Forget about the service, this is way more important."

Upvote 0

Guineverelyndy

Feb 25, 2006
California
✟8,696.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Guinevere,
I'm not sure you read my post on this carefully:
http://foru.ms/showpost.php?p=37898485&postcount=56

Lust is not the only sin that takes place in the mind.
No one is saying that games or fantasy are inherently wrong and I wish it wouldn't keep getting painted that way. But if we make conscious choices to do something we know would be wrong to do in real life it is still wrong. So would it be wrong to defeat infidel hordes trying to take Constantinople? No. Would it be wrong to develop a civilization and defend yourself from your neighbors? No. Would it be wrong to summon a demon? Yes.

Obviously we have to identify many of these lines to not cross on our own - if we're lucky we'll have guidance from a SF - but if we justify all behavior as - "It's just a game" then we are ignoring the principle of sins committed by the mind - in our fantasies - or as one of our prayers goes - "...the dark fantasies of Satan..."
Except you are acting the part of a character who is doing it, and it is not yourself. It is no different than a writer choosing to make a character in a book do something evil. Would you be sinning if you wrote a story in which you caused a character to sin? It *might* cause you to stumble if doing so forced you to imagine things that would be harmful to your walk with Christ at the time, but that is why it would be sinful, not because to cause an imaginary character to sin is intrinsically sinful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.