• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy

Mar 1, 2016
Ohio
✟7,832.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The primary disability I have is Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, specifically a nonsense (or stop codon) mutation which my mother was a carrier of. The disability has rendered me a quadriplegic, meaning I have limited to no movement in all limbs due to muscle deterioration caused by an inability to produce dystrophin. Due to the negative impact on my body, my organs are barely performing as they should be such that I require a bipap breathing machine at night (essentially it breathes for me) and I cannot do most things for myself. However, what upsets me the most is the fact that I am the "mother" to twin girls, both girls are 7 years old and they are carries of the disability, which gives my future grandsons a 50% chance of having the same disability that I have been afflicted by my entire life. I guess I feel guilty for this future problem and want some guidance and advice from others. The biological mother of my children took my virginity without my consent when I was 17 and regardless of the hurt and sadness I feel, I still raise and care for my daughters and would do anything to protect them. I fought for full legal custody of my daughters and I know that was the right decision but I can't help feeling sadness for them if they were to grow up, get married and have sons.

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Maria,

The worst thing I was born with was pattern baldness. In your case must be tough, especially thinking about the kids.

Would you mind if I prayed for your healing and strengthening of your muscles. I ask this because the bible tells us if we can trust God, virtually anything is possible.

I have a website link here http://www.everybodymattersministry.com/miracles.php that talks about divine healing.

Might even post a thread in this section asking others a similar question.

Robert

Upvote 0