Jul 23, 2002
Aberdeen, Scotland
Visit site
✟18,244.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I was just looking at Drobbie's tag and it has me really interested.

"Religion to me is almost like when God leaves - and people devise a set of rules to fill the space.

Paul Hewson (aka. Bono from U2)"

I know this is not Drobbie speaking but I just thought the idea of God leaving was an interesting one. I had always thougth of God as a "person" who was always there and never left anyone.

What do you guys think?

In His love and care

Jay

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think He leaves. He spends all his time trying to get to know us.
He allows us a lot of freedom in our lives. I guess I can see how one could mistake that for absence. But as the prodigal son or lost sheep that I have been, I can say from my experience that he never went away, I did.

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
I believe that anyone who thinks God can leave has the wrong impression of God. God is far to BIG to leave. Where could He go? We serve an omnipresent God. That is why we cannot run nor hide from God. Anywhere we go, He is there.

Psalms 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Upvote 0

waterwizard

Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2002
Alabama
✟3,275.00
Faith
Baptist
I believe that God never leaves us, but sometimes He will just back off and watch us, especially if we insist on doing things our way instead of His way. Like a parent who allows a child to find out for himself that whatever he's doing may not be the best thing for him.
He will never leave us, nor forsake us, but He'll allow us to learn a lesson or two before He steps back in.
Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

jayebrownlee

Senior Veteran
Jul 23, 2002
Aberdeen, Scotland
Visit site
✟18,244.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A couple of things, one is that I apologise to droobie for missplelling the name!!

The second is that I KNOW that God never leaves and like stinky freak says it is me that has left, but even then it is impossible to leave God, cause he follows you!!

What an amazing God we have.

Jay

Upvote 0

Droobie

Rebmem Raluger
Nov 22, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟20,072.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Hallo Peoples,

Sorry, I did not notice this thread earlier.  (My name was misspelt which was why I missed it.  Apologies accepted Jay)

Though I can't speak for Bono, from whom the quote is from, I don't think it's from the point of view that God is totally absent.  Perhaps more from our human point of view when we do think and leave God out of the equation.

Yes, God is omnipresent.  He is always there.  He's here right now!  However there are times when we do life, do the church thing, do the religious thing without Him in our thoughts.

As Martin has noted, religion was not made up by God.  It was made up by man.  Look at all the religions and denominations we have in the world today.  I'm not pointing out which is right or wrong, but clearly this is not what God had in mind in the beginning.  It's something that we as humans have come up with.

God bless!

Upvote 0