• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Drobbie's tag

Discussion in 'Friendship Court' started by jayebrownlee, Oct 15, 2002.

1. jayebrownlee

jayebrownlee Senior Veteran

+12
    Protestant
    Married
    I was just looking at Drobbie's tag and it has me really interested.

"Religion to me is almost like when God leaves - and people devise a set of rules to fill the space.

Paul Hewson (aka. Bono from U2)"

I know this is not Drobbie speaking but I just thought the idea of God leaving was an interesting one. I had always thougth of God as a "person" who was always there and never left anyone.

What do you guys think?

In His love and care

Jay

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Mr.Cheese

Mr.Cheese Legend

+499
    Christian
    Single
    I don't think He leaves. He spends all his time trying to get to know us.
    He allows us a lot of freedom in our lives. I guess I can see how one could mistake that for absence. But as the prodigal son or lost sheep that I have been, I can say from my experience that he never went away, I did.

3. wvmtnkid

wvmtnkid Order of the Candle

+148
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Republican
    Good question! Just moving this over to Fellowship Court so maybe it will generate more discussion!

4. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+12
    I believe that anyone who thinks God can leave has the wrong impression of God. God is far to BIG to leave. Where could He go? We serve an omnipresent God. That is why we cannot run nor hide from God. Anywhere we go, He is there.

Psalms 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

5. waterwizard

waterwizard Senior Veteran

+1
    Baptist
    I believe that God never leaves us, but sometimes He will just back off and watch us, especially if we insist on doing things our way instead of His way. Like a parent who allows a child to find out for himself that whatever he's doing may not be the best thing for him.
    He will never leave us, nor forsake us, but He'll allow us to learn a lesson or two before He steps back in.
    Just my thoughts.

6. jayebrownlee

jayebrownlee Senior Veteran

+12
    Protestant
    Married
    A couple of things, one is that I apologise to droobie for missplelling the name!!

The second is that I KNOW that God never leaves and like stinky freak says it is me that has left, but even then it is impossible to leave God, cause he follows you!!

What an amazing God we have.

Jay

7. Martin

Martin Senior Veteran

+12
    Christian
    Married
    I don't believe God leaves, but you can shut the door on Him......

I think the point of the quote is that you give up God for a set or rules - that's religion.

8. Droobie

Droobie Rebmem Raluger

+64
    Pentecostal
    Married
    AU-Liberals
    Hallo Peoples,

Sorry, I did not notice this thread earlier.  (My name was misspelt which was why I missed it.  Apologies accepted Jay)

Though I can't speak for Bono, from whom the quote is from, I don't think it's from the point of view that God is totally absent.  Perhaps more from our human point of view when we do think and leave God out of the equation.

Yes, God is omnipresent.  He is always there.  He's here right now!  However there are times when we do life, do the church thing, do the religious thing without Him in our thoughts.

As Martin has noted, religion was not made up by God.  It was made up by man.  Look at all the religions and denominations we have in the world today.  I'm not pointing out which is right or wrong, but clearly this is not what God had in mind in the beginning.  It's something that we as humans have come up with.

God bless!