timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've been driving like a 70 year old even though I'm only in my 30's.

Slower than average and stops for many things other drivers won't. I anticipate conditions as much as possible so I slow down gently instead of unpredictably or abruptly. Is there a convincingly good reason for driving like this? I've been doing this for many years. But lately, I've been worried. Worried, I'd get hit from behind. I also imagine a random kid suddenly jumping out behind a parked car so I'm significantly slower than the allowed speed in more densely populated areas. I think sometimes this annoys other drivers and don't want that either.

The irony of this situation is that I've done illegal street racing and even dirt rally racing in the past. A dark past I'm so ashamed of, just very lucky no one got hurt nor damaged. I used to be an "adrenaline junkie" when I was younger.

But in the last several years, I've been paranoid so much about making even the tiniest mistakes so I go about everything in life very very carefully and often slowly. Afraid to hurt anyone by any degree.

Reactions: Mark Quayle

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
At least you are not driving above the speed limit.

I am careful about the speed limit, and it really annoys people. I really REALLY hate when there is construction and the speed limit is 20 or lower, because I feel obligated to abide by the law to the anger of others on the road who like to go 10 miles faster when no one is there.

I got into a car accident a couple weeks ago. I was just driving the actual speed limit (30), and I suppose the person crossing me on the intersection thought I was too slow and tried to dash across before I would pass by (I was in the right of way). I ended up hitting the bed of their truck, while my car was somewhat damaged...

• Informative
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Slower than average and stops for many things other drivers won't. I anticipate conditions as much as possible so I slow down gently instead of unpredictably or abruptly. Is there a convincingly good reason for driving like this? I've been doing this for many years. But lately, I've been worried. Worried, I'd get hit from behind. I also imagine a random kid suddenly jumping out behind a parked car so I'm significantly slower than the allowed speed in more densely populated areas. I think sometimes this annoys other drivers and don't want that either.

The irony of this situation is that I've done illegal street racing and even dirt rally racing in the past. A dark past I'm so ashamed of, just very lucky no one got hurt nor damaged. I used to be an "adrenaline junkie" when I was younger.

But in the last several years, I've been paranoid so much about making even the tiniest mistakes so I go about everything in life very very carefully and often slowly. Afraid to hurt anyone by any degree.
Hey! Don't knock it! I'm 71 and I drive just the same as I always did.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
At least you are not driving above the speed limit.

I am careful about the speed limit, and it really annoys people. I really REALLY hate when there is construction and the speed limit is 20 or lower, because I feel obligated to abide by the law to the anger of others on the road who like to go 10 miles faster when no one is there.

I got into a car accident a couple weeks ago. I was just driving the actual speed limit (30), and I suppose the person crossing me on the intersection thought I was too slow and tried to dash across before I would pass by (I was in the right of way). I ended up hitting the bed of their truck, while my car was somewhat damaged...

My thoughts too. I really don't like to be even in little accidents even if it's not my fault. This is why I am a bit slow so I'll be able to stop in time in case anyone breaks the law or for some reason, failed to notice my approach.

Intersection is another thing. I either slow down or place my foot on the brakes on every intersection

I've lost count of vehicles or pedestrians who suddenly jumped into my path. on intersections. Even vehicles that cross the red traffic light.

I would hate to hit a pedestrian even if it is their fault....You'll never know what's going on their mind for acting carelessly on the road, like having huge problems or recently lost a loved one. Things like that. I've been stupid at times as well due to distress.

I would like to err on the side of mercy, give everyone some space even if sometimes they're breaking the law on the road.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hey! Don't knock it! I'm 71 and I drive just the same as I always did.

I've been chased / harrassed on the road a couple of times by people who may have guns.

A lot of male drivers have pretty serious issues being out-driven, especially by the fact, I'm only driving a small, cheap sedan and I live in a dangerous country!

Those days are over! I'd like to stay alive! But it's also frustrating that other drivers still get so annoyed when I'm only driving 5-10 kph slower than them!

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I usually try to go with the flow of traffic so long as it isn’t more than 10 mph over the speed limit. I had a state trooper tell me one time that the thing that causes many accidents is the driver who is doing 50 in a 70 zone on the interstate, particularly when that person is riding in the passing lane.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I usually try to go with the flow of traffic so long as it isn’t more than 10 mph over the speed limit. I had a state trooper tell me one time that the thing that causes many accidents is the driver who is doing 50 in a 70 zone on the interstate, particularly when that person is riding in the passing lane.

I only use the passing lane if I'm actually passing another vehicle. Good practice. When I'm in the slow lane, I drive at the same speed as everyone on the slow lane.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I don't know what country you are driving in but I'd have anxiety attacks driving in some of the countries that I have been watch in movies (that are really based in those countries). If you are driving the flow of traffic, you should be as safe as possible. I think that is the most you can hope for...because if your traffic looks anything like what I have seen in Indian movies, I don't think you are really in control of your driving situation. The only other option is to try to limit your driving to times when the traffic is less busy. Otherwise, pray before you start out and thank God when you arrive and trust God along the way. I suspect that other issues in your life have overflowed within your brain and make the way you see the world a bit differently than when you were young and driving without the cares of the world on your shoulders.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
because if your traffic looks anything like what I have seen in Indian movies, I don't think you are really in control of your driving situation.

I don't live in India but traffic conditions are more or less the same. There are many narrow streets/lanes with uncontrolled intersections / no right of way rules.

Very chaotic.... This is why I drive defensively all the time. I slow down for all intersections or foot on the brakes at the intersections, ready to make emergency braking in case someone crosses unexpectedly. I even watch my rear very often, in case I do brake hard, I could dodge the vehicle behind me as well.

I keep watch of the space around my vehicle 360 degrees constantly, in case I do need to make evasive maneuvers, I know which space is empty where to change lanes instantly.

To top it off, in the city, I often find myself passing a vehicle or an obstacle just a few inches away from my vehicle.

By God's Miracle, in my 20 years of driving, I've never been in a road incident. Never scratched any car nor truck I'm driving on the road, (I did scratched a few while parking, but very little scratches, completely forgivable!).

Yes, I began to bore much greater responsibility since couple of years ago (and I don't even have my own family yet) and couple realizations, I got really scared of making mistakes or ending in trouble.

• Prayers
Reactions: blackribbon
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Well I don't drive the best anymore but, I am approaching 70.

Realizing that you need to be extra careful is probably a good thing?

M-Bob

• Informative
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums