Drive at night? Why didn’t we think of that earlier?

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I’m just trying to point out that Biden is completely incompetent and maybe someday his supporters will come to realize it.
He's mediocrity hobbling around on two legs and as he who I will not name recedes into the background taking the worse option farther from view well, oi vey. No one from last election run again, please.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,748,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It will help. Since cargo is being offloaded 24/7, more cargo will be available for trucking out of port at night when the highways are less crowded. Biden isn't talking about night driving per se - he's talking about cargo becoming available for night driving due to the extended offloading hours.

OB
Yep.

Photos: Gridlock at L.A. ports as dozens of ships idle off the coast

President Biden announced Wednesday that the Port of Los Angeles would operate around the clock to alleviate a logistical bottleneck that has left dozens of container ships idling off the California coast and Americans waiting longer to get products manufactured overseas.

Longshoremen will work through the night and major retailers and shipping companies have pledged to clear cargo off the docks faster, changes that are intended to speed the flow of toys, electronics and other gifts to American doorsteps during the holiday season.

Container ships are waiting for weeks to be unloaded.
download (1).jpeg

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
OK but the statement is true, right? There's less traffic at night.
Trucks run better when not driven into roadside ditches at speed is also a true statement, at least he left that out.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Biden Raises Eyebrows with Wild Plan to Fix Supply Chain: Truckers Can Drive at Night

“That means an increase in the hours for workers to be moving cargo off ships and onto trucks and railcars to get to their destination. And more than that, the night hours are critical for increasing the movement of goods because highways are less crowded in the evening, at night,” Biden said in a news conference Wednesday.

The man has lived in a fantasy bubble for decades.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I bet a bunch of truckers are jumping on this. Job creation in an environment of economic demand. This is good. I don't get the complaint. If the President said something, but it works, who cares unless you're a political hack?

Pragmatism: the forgotten, home-grown American philosophy. Now everyone is an ideologue, and it's killing us.
If by jumping on it you mean have already been doing it as long as trucks with headlights were a thing sure.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟100,530.00
Faith
Seeker
??? I don't get it .

I watched the press briefing and Biden said a port would become open at night which means trucks could come and pick up the freight at night, he was not announcing that it is silly no truck drives at night and they should start driving at night.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,423,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it's a sign that you shouldn't be importing so much stuff. To be fair you only need to import what can't be produced in the USA, given the size of the USA that probably isn't very much. God Bless :)

Here, here. Americans want their made in China "smart coffee mugs" that will sit unused for most of the year.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here, here. Americans want their made in China "smart coffee mugs" that will sit unused for most of the year.

Yes. I think we have the same problem in Britain. Trying to import too much stuff through the port of Dover, a lot of which we should really be producing ourselves. It's not good to be dependent on imports from countries like China. God Bless You :)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not good to be dependent on imports from countries like China. :)

problem is that some items companies need are not made in USA anywhere anymore

this is the problem for company where husband works
there was one company in US that made item they needed & company went out of business

they have no choice but to get item from China
husband said today that it's taking 10 months now to get a shipment from China!

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. But it’s not like it’s some sort of revelation.

Well; everybody he is speaking to; are not all truck drivers.

When I started driving long distances to relatives in other states; I was surprised how little traffic there was on the interstate highways; after midnight. So for long hauling the family around; we would leave after dark; and make much better time then day-time driving.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,487.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Well; everybody he is speaking to; are not all truck drivers.

When I started driving long distances to relatives in other states; I was surprised how little traffic there was on the interstate highways; after midnight. So for long hauling the family around; we would leave after dark; and make much better time then day-time driving.

As someone who's driven hours at a time spending many days and nights crossing this huge continent, I can testify that it's all good... until you fall asleep.

OB

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As someone who's driven hours at a time spending many days and nights crossing this huge continent, I can testify that it's all good... until you fall asleep.

OB

I was a night shift worker for many years; so staying awake at night; was no problem. Just the opposite; I had trouble staying awake during the day; driving in the heat and bright sunshine of the western USA.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Biden Raises Eyebrows with Wild Plan to Fix Supply Chain: Truckers Can Drive at Night

“That means an increase in the hours for workers to be moving cargo off ships and onto trucks and railcars to get to their destination. And more than that, the night hours are critical for increasing the movement of goods because highways are less crowded in the evening, at night,” Biden said in a news conference Wednesday.
You realise that trucks will have to be fitted with headlights........

• Haha
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The port was already open 90 hours a week, operating at 60% capacity.
Will Biden's 24/7 Port Plan Alleviate Supply Chain Problems?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I'm not getting what the big deal is here. He was talking about a port starting to operate 24/7 that would help clear the shipping backlog, and that what will help it clear even more is that by operating at night they'll be able to move more trucks because the roads will be less busy. Now, that part I'm not so sure about because sure, there's additional capacity on the roads to move more trucks, but are the trucks going to be available?

I don't get any impression he was trying to announce some brilliant idea or anything.

Upvote 0