Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Went to a church in a little town where there wasn't much to do, getting dressed up in your Sunday best was your chance to gussy up. Ladies wore pantyhose in the middle of summer, in GA. Men wore suits. I was mighty happy when we moved & the church we went to was much more casual. The focus ought to be on the Lord, not on who is wearing what. Now I do believe you ought to be respectful, not coming in there dressed like you're about go to go the gym. Clean jeans, clean top, nothing too revealing from either the ladies or the men, nothing with slogans that aren't appropriate. That'll do it.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I kinda like both ideas. Its kinda sweet seeing everyone dressed up; and I get the impression its not because they have to do it for church-ethics reasons, but more for social reasons.But Ive seen some not so well off people including this one guy who i think has mental health problems, and he looks like he lives on the steets. To me he tries to dress the best he can. But this is just my impression coz I never go inside a church when people are there. I wait for everyone to go.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
To an extent I don't think God cares, but at the same time I think it's a matter of respect.

For those that don't wear a suit or at the very least the suit minus the blazer, I'd be intrigued to know what they wore or plan to wear on their wedding day and why that particular instance of entering a house of God and standing before God was any different to worship on Sunday.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A missionary to Angola many years ago told me this story:

He came from the USA, was not well-off, did not have a regular salary, but was definitely better off than the villagers amongst whom he worked. He did have a suit, but felt that wearing it to the village church services was an arrogant display of wealth because most villagers had very poor clothing, many had second hand stuff, many had no shoes. So he stopped using his suit. He came in decent, clean, but ordinary everyday clothes.

After a couple of months the edlers of the church, all of them ordinary villagers, came to him and asked "why have you stopped coming to church in your suit? Do you no longer have respect for us or the Lord, that you don't come in the best you have? We know you have it. We feel you honour us when you use it in our church. If the Provincial Governor came to the village and wanted an audience with you, would you not wear it for him? We think it is almost an insult that you refuse to wear it in our presence. Are we not good enough for you?" He felt very challenged by their perspective and their concern. And he started using his suit again.

Hidden motives, subconscious assumptions, can work in many ways and directions. Pride can show itself in unexpected ways. The heart of man is deceitful above all things.

Underlying the whole isssue is maybe the question, why do we have "fine clothing" at all? and other questions follow... Who do we wear it for, and why? In which situations (other than church) would we wear it? what do we expect to gain (or not lose) from doing so? What do the answers to these questions say about our values, our priorities, our relationships?

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0