Sep 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
✟19,453.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
I know as christians, you have to be careful of certain symbols and objects as they harvest meaning. I always like dreamcatchers because I thought they were pretty. I wanted to know if anyone knew if there was anything wrong with having a decorative one?

Hisgirl

Loved into Heaven by a Violent Act of Grace
Aug 10, 2004
USA
✟15,157.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm...I thought those crystals were nice too...and those cute kitchen witches, and totem poles, and that little funny voodoo doll from the Bahamas. .... IMO...these things all represent other spiritual exercises...worshipping someone other than my Lord Jesus Christ. It may seem harmless and pretty to look at, but it's an accessory representing a false doctrine and a false god. I wouldn't want it in my house.

*taken from a description of dream catchers*

Before use, the dream catcher is often cleansed in a ceremony of purification by passing them through the smoke of smoldering sage--the sage ceremony. Sometimes, if the dream catcher is not in a well-lit room, it becomes overloaded with energies that need to be cleared. For us, each breath is a prayer and so each dream catcher is woven with the energies of love and blessing.

I would suggest praying about it. I went from room to room one day and did a spiritual cleansing....I just asked God if there was anything in the room that offended Him..and man, you wouldn't believe the junk I hauled out! That was one prayer He quickly answered!

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,209.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know much about dreamcatchers, I've had someone tell me my wind chimes were of the devil though.

Personally I think it depends on what you know about how they were made. I mean if they were made by someone involved in New Age theories or witchcraft, and they had chanted some kind of "good luck" mantra/blessing while doing so, I woudn't touch them with a bargepole. But if I did buy, or make, one and later found that it disturbed other Christians, I'd probably not display it.

Upvote 0

bumblebee62331

Oct 12, 2005
✟37,794.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I thought they were fine. They are there to "catch" the bad thoughts and dreams and keep them away, while still letting the good thoughts and dreams through the holes in the dreamcatcher. It's a very sweet thing and it's nice to have. I don't have one anymore but if you need a symbol during a hard time in your life that's showing you that you are being protected, then I guess that's a good thing.

You can put occult links to just about anything if you try, so I think it's a decision you have to make for yourself. I would recommend making one yourself so you know where it's been and the intention for it's creation. Plus it's more personal and fun. :)

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
Strong in Him said:
I don't know much about dreamcatchers, I've had someone tell me my wind chimes were of the devil though.

Personally I think it depends on what you know about how they were made. I mean if they were made by someone involved in New Age theories or witchcraft, and they had chanted some kind of "good luck" mantra/blessing while doing so, I woudn't touch them with a bargepole. But if I did buy, or make, one and later found that it disturbed other Christians, I'd probably not display it.

Yes, I agree with this one! It depends on who made it-- a new age white woman make me a dream catcher one time and I knew to get rid of it!! I knew she had 'prayed' a new age prayer over it, etc. A lot of dream catchers, though, are ones made in Hong Kong for the tourist trade. I have a beautiful minature Apache burden basket that was given to me by a sister, who(she wasn't native american, but very spirit-filled and on fire for the Lord) knew it wasn't 'cursed', but because of her roommate's uneasyiness having a native american item in the Apt., she gave it to me as a gift. Like Jonathan Maracle often explain to people uneasy about the Native drum, it's just an object made from a tree that the Creator made. Personally, I prefer that minature apache burden basket over having a dreamcatcher. I have Cherokee clay pots that I have no uneasyiness over. However, I did have a SW pueblo clay pot that I did get rid of, because I felt like there was a spirit 'prayed' in it. I read somewhere of a Hopi christian lady who makes pottery so just because a Native person comes to know Christ, doesn't mean they can't stop being Indian or make pottery, baskets, jewelry, etc. I believe that christians need to realize not to be disturbed by everything Native American ;)

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
Byootaful said:
I thought they were fine. They are there to "catch" the bad thoughts and dreams and keep them away, while still letting the good thoughts and dreams through the holes in the dreamcatcher. It's a very sweet thing and it's nice to have. I don't have one anymore but if you need a symbol during a hard time in your life that's showing you that you are being protected, then I guess that's a good thing.

You can put occult links to just about anything if you try, so I think it's a decision you have to make for yourself. I would recommend making one yourself so you know where it's been and the intention for it's creation. Plus it's more personal and fun. :)

I agree with this one, too! I think sometimes we can get real legalistic about this. If we look close enough, we'll find that christmas trees were originally a pagan practice!
I love making God Eyes! It's been a while, but I think God Eyes were originally a Mexican Indian custom. I don't see anything wrong with God eyes!

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
Oh yeah, talking about crystals, I think it's about time crystals be redeemed for the LORD. He's the one who made them, not aliens from Atlantis, or whatever. I live in Arkansas and I love looking for crystals!! And thought of somehow incorporating them some how in some of my baskets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
TreeOfLife said:
Then a golden calf statue is fine too? How about other household idols? :doh:

I have to get rid of my golden calf? Wouldn't you know it. :D

I'm with HisGirl. I have removed all books, music, bric-a-brac that could possibly deflect my focus from Jesus. Makes life much simpler! :)

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
Mmmmm, it seems to be a double standard that EVERYTHING Indian-Native American, is suspect of being of the devil. THe Indian is told to give up his Indian drum, flute, etc, yet the Scotchman is allowed to have his bagpipes. There's nothing idolartous of the Scottish bagpipes and kelts, and yet the Indian is told to give up the drum and Native dress!

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Godzchild said:
What if it doesn't deflect your focus from Jesus?

It will eventually. It did for me. I was a new Christian but had stalled in my growth. I was trying to watch a movie - can't even remember what it was - and the Holy Spirit basically asked me "And you are watching this movie why?" Finally I understood and cleared the house out. Even had an Episcopalian deacon bless it! :) (I was saved as an Episcopalian) Grew by leaps and bounds that year! :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BillynJennifer

Veteran
Sep 16, 2005
KY
✟9,613.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
12volt_man said:
As long as you don't pour any superstitious meaning into them, they're fine.

There is the sound advice that I knew would show up eventually. Just because something has been used in an occultic or pagan way does not mean that we have to let it continue down that path. Do we think God is not able to sanctify even what we think is such a pagan symbol.

Billy

Upvote 0

BillynJennifer

Veteran
Sep 16, 2005
KY
✟9,613.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
TreeOfLife said:
Then a golden calf statue is fine too? How about other household idols? :doh:

There is something that is nearly every home in America that is becoming a great source of idolatry. The computer and the television. Although we don't bow down physically, we bow down our time and efforts, many times, to rush through prayer and study since "that TV show is coming on in a little bit".

Billy

Upvote 0

BillynJennifer

Veteran
Sep 16, 2005
KY
✟9,613.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
cherokeehippie said:
Oh yeah, talking about crystals, I think it's about time crystals be redeemed for the LORD. He's the one who made them, not aliens from Atlantis, or whatever. I live in Arkansas and I love looking for crystals!! And thought of somehow incorporating them some how in some of my baskets.

I agree with you. I love to collect crystals and different kinds of rocks. Yes, many of them have been used in some sort of pagan worship of some deity, but the sun was once worshipped also. Should we, by eliminating whatever was used by pagan worshippers, also eliminate our exposure to the sun.

I would love to be able to get to one of the crystal mines there in Arkansas. I'm really a nerd when it comes to geology :) :blush: :)

Billy

Upvote 0

PastorMikeJ

combat veteran
Nov 10, 2005
Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
cherokeehippie said:
Yes, I agree with this one! It depends on who made it-- a new age white woman make me a dream catcher one time and I knew to get rid of it!! I knew she had 'prayed' a new age prayer over it, etc. A lot of dream catchers, though, are ones made in Hong Kong for the tourist trade. I have a beautiful minature Apache burden basket that was given to me by a sister, who(she wasn't native american, but very spirit-filled and on fire for the Lord) knew it wasn't 'cursed', but because of her roommate's uneasyiness having a native american item in the Apt., she gave it to me as a gift. Like Jonathan Maracle often explain to people uneasy about the Native drum, it's just an object made from a tree that the Creator made. Personally, I prefer that minature apache burden basket over having a dreamcatcher. I have Cherokee clay pots that I have no uneasyiness over. However, I did have a SW pueblo clay pot that I did get rid of, because I felt like there was a spirit 'prayed' in it. I read somewhere of a Hopi christian lady who makes pottery so just because a Native person comes to know Christ, doesn't mean they can't stop being Indian or make pottery, baskets, jewelry, etc. I believe that christians need to realize not to be disturbed by everything Native American ;)
AMEN!!! More Native Americans come to Christ through the use of their cultural items, drums, flutes used to present Christian music, traditional dance... Christian POWWOWS...We were told that we had to become white, stop talking in our own langauge, cut our hair, give up our children to white schools.. stop using our traditions...never play our drums, flutes or dance...then we could become Christian...

I am very thankful for musical groups like Broken Walls and other Native Christian music groups..for they are drawing more and more Natives to the Lord...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.