California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
i had a dream very recently where I think God spoke to me again but I didn’t really hear what I wanted to hear.

The dream was winding down when near the end I started to hear a voice talking to me. I instantly became suspicious of the voice, so I said forcefully, in the name of Jesus Christ tell me your name. The voice then said Nazareth and then I said ha you didn’t say Jesus and then it said Jesus. Then I was like oh. Then the voice told me to take care of my mother. I then spat back why should I? You give her everything she wants. Then the voice said don’t assume her afterlife will be good. I was taken aback by that. It also said that she suffers in her own way. Then I became sorrowful about myself and said but I want to get married and live with my brother and dad and sister and fiancé and some of my relatives and move to another state. I didn’t hear a response to my pouting and then I woke up.

The dream is making me nervous. Right now my dad takes care of my family including my mother. My mom gets everything she wants in prayer which is why I said that in the dream. The voice didn’t even argue that point even in the dream. I honestly don’t see how it’s possible that she could be given everything she wants in this life and then not have a good afterlife.

It scared me a little cuz I feel like that implies she could go to hell which was beyond what I really thought possible because I thought she was given everything she could possibly want because she was God’s favorite and the world revolved around her. I still seriously doubt it but my thoughts are maybe God is trying to get me to stop assuming where people will go in the afterlife. I try not to but it still crosses my mind at times.

I don’t really want to take care of my mother although I was thinking of doing it beforehand. I didn’t want to though because of how my mother treated me and my siblings when we were younger. I thought I probably wouldn’t even have to because I was thinking that if I needed to that would be a long time from now and dad would always take care of her.

I guess at this point I’m obligated to take care of her but it I don’t think anything in that dream I really wanted to hear. I’ve been trying to be forgiving and loving towards her for over a decade since I had one dream where I thought God spoke to me and told me to forgive her and ask for her forgiveness. But I still struggle with bitterness inwardly.

What are your thoughts?

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Check out Acts 19:15. Saying the name Jesus isn't impossible for demons. In fact, the fact that the first response was "Nazareth" is interesting... If it was Jesus speaking to you, why didn't he say that the first time? I'm not saying that this dream was demonic, because that would be a grave sin against Jesus if it was him. But just be cautious and very critical of anything you're told to do in a dream.

On the other hand, just because someone seem to be very blessed does not AT ALL suggest they're saved. There are thousands of wealthy, comfortable, very lost people in the world. The fact that your mother treated you badly as a child would seem to give the dream some validity. Perhaps you really have been assuming wrongly that your mother is going to be okay eternally. I'd suggest you ask her about her salvation story right away (don't tell her about the dream, of course!).

I'm curious what the rest of the dream preceding this was about? It might be relevant.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Check out Acts 19:15. Saying the name Jesus isn't impossible for demons. In fact, the fact that the first response was "Nazareth" is interesting... If it was Jesus speaking to you, why didn't he say that the first time? I'm not saying that this dream was demonic, because that would be a grave sin against Jesus if it was him. But just be cautious and very critical of anything you're told to do in a dream.

On the other hand, just because someone seem to be very blessed does not AT ALL suggest they're saved. There are thousands of wealthy, comfortable, very lost people in the world. The fact that your mother treated you badly as a child would seem to give the dream some validity. Perhaps you really have been assuming wrongly that your mother is going to be okay eternally. I'd suggest you ask her about her salvation story right away (don't tell her about the dream, of course!).

I'm curious what the rest of the dream preceding this was about? It might be relevant.

Yeah when I first woke up I wondered why the voice would first say Nazareth and then Jesus. Like why backwards? I tried researching how you would say it in Aramaic but in Aramaic you would first say Jesus then Nazareth. So honestly it made me wonder too. I don’t really remember the part before the voice it was just a generic dream. I assumed my mom is saved because she is Christian and she gets everything she wants in prayer.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yeah when I first woke up I wondered why the voice would first say Nazareth and then Jesus. Like why backwards? I tried researching how you would say it in Aramaic but in Aramaic you would first say Jesus then Nazareth. So honestly it made me wonder too. I don’t really remember the part before the voice it was just a generic dream. I assumed my mom is saved because she is Christian and she gets everything she wants in prayer.
Oh okay, that makes more sense.

I mean, when it really comes down to it you can't know with 100% positivity that anyone else is saved. That's between them and God. But if their life bears good fruit and they worship God and seem to have a relationship with Jesus, then it's safe to assume they are.

I'm still not sure about why you've distanced yourself from your mom if she seems like a godly person... I mean, does she only pray and nothing else? Does she still treat you badly? If you have bitterness in your heart, you really need to forgive her and move on. Allow your mom to change. And if she is still the same, maybe distancing yourself a bit is a good idea (emotionally or physically), but pray for her regularly.

I went through a torturous decision-making process once about joining a foreign ministry. Everyone was all excited for me, but I ended up convinced it wasn't where God wanted me... But how to tell that to all my friends and family and church who were already prepared to send me off? I put off the decision as long as I could possibly put it off, and finally said no. The responses from others weren't as painful as I thought they'd be, but I still collapsed three days later sobbing uncontrollably. And I don't cry... Long story short, after also losing my job and experiencing heartache I didn't know was possible and having to find a new home, God showered me with all kinds of blessings to the point I actually felt a little guilty!

So perhaps, your mom really is suffering secretly in some area of her life and God knows it. He has blessed her with effective prayers because she's remained faithful to Him even through a dark and lonely valley. Just a guess...

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Oh okay, that makes more sense.

I mean, when it really comes down to it you can't know with 100% positivity that anyone else is saved. That's between them and God. But if their life bears good fruit and they worship God and seem to have a relationship with Jesus, then it's safe to assume they are.

I'm still not sure about why you've distanced yourself from your mom if she seems like a godly person... I mean, does she only pray and nothing else? Does she still treat you badly? If you have bitterness in your heart, you really need to forgive her and move on. Allow your mom to change. And if she is still the same, maybe distancing yourself a bit is a good idea (emotionally or physically), but pray for her regularly.

I went through a torturous decision-making process once about joining a foreign ministry. Everyone was all excited for me, but I ended up convinced it wasn't where God wanted me... But how to tell that to all my friends and family and church who were already prepared to send me off? I put off the decision as long as I could possibly put it off, and finally said no. The responses from others weren't as painful as I thought they'd be, but I still collapsed three days later sobbing uncontrollably. And I don't cry... Long story short, after also losing my job and experiencing heartache I didn't know was possible and having to find a new home, God showered me with all kinds of blessings to the point I actually felt a little guilty!

So perhaps, your mom really is suffering secretly in some area of her life and God knows it. He has blessed her with effective prayers because she's remained faithful to Him even through a dark and lonely valley. Just a guess...

I distanced myself from my mother cuz she constantly betrayed any trust I put in her And was mean. She’s mostly nice now although sometimes she still has episodes but they’re nothing compared to before but bring back painful memories. I’m nice to her in person and I only talk about the bad stuff anonymously online, in therapy, and to my siblings who went through it too. I keep trying to put it behind me but the painful memories just never die. I feel pained about it because I feel like God only talks to me to benefit her, the person who has probably hurt me more than anyone else.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I distanced myself from my mother cuz she constantly betrayed any trust I put in her And was mean. She’s mostly nice now although sometimes she still has episodes but they’re nothing compared to before but bring back painful memories. I’m nice to her in person and I only talk about the bad stuff anonymously online, in therapy, and to my siblings who went through it too. I keep trying to put it behind me but the painful memories just never die. I feel pained about it because I feel like God only talks to me to benefit her, the person who has probably hurt me more than anyone else.
Yeah, my relationship with my dad has been similar. When all of us siblings are together we sometimes talk about our shared pain... It's really hard. My memories of my childhood and teenage years are of having a perpetually angry father and loud and hurtful arguments between my parents. I almost ran away from home when I was 16 and later found out my older sister almost did, too... Only Jesus was able to keep us together all those years.

I always thought it was something only we children knew about, but just this past weekend my uncle was talking to my sister and I at a luncheon in my sister's honor. My uncle said that he noticed my dad was "more involved" with us lately (which was ironic, giving he didn't attend the luncheon for my sister...). It's the first time I know for a fact that anyone on the outside actually noticed what we've gone through our whole lives, and in an odd way it was comforting. But also made me feel sad for my dad, which I can't say I have felt very often... :(

I know some of my dad's story and I understand why he is the way he is sometimes. We've always known about the ways our grandparents have been abusive toward him, even as kids. So I think that has helped us to keep coming back to forgiveness. We understand that those negative emotions and interactions may be coming from some deeply hurtful things that happened a long time ago.

There is a reason your mom was mean and betrayed your confidence. You might not know what it is, but perhaps someone hurt her once, too, and that hurt causes her to act that way sometimes.

All that aside, if God seems to answer her prayers often, then God is speaking to her, too. It's not just coming through you. Maybe you should try asking her what she thinks God has been teaching her lately, and in that way gain some spiritual benefit from her instead of always the other way around.

Reactions: sea5763
Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My mom and her sisters said that my grandma was mean to my mother but I never witnessed it in my liftetime at the family gatherings or whenever we did see grandma. I’m sorry about your situation. I thought about running away from home many times in childhood but only made a few halfhearted attempts. I guess i should talk to her about God sometimes I’m just jealous and bitter that all her prayers always get answered. I know I really need to just forgive and get over it. I feel shame for talking about it online but I keep doing it.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My mom and her sisters said that my grandma was mean to my mother but I never witnessed it in my liftetime at the family gatherings or whenever we did see grandma. I’m sorry about your situation. I thought about running away from home many times in childhood but only made a few halfhearted attempts. I guess i should talk to her about God sometimes I’m just jealous and bitter that all her prayers always get answered. I know I really need to just forgive and get over it. I feel shame for talking about it online but I keep doing it.
I understand. Sometimes you need to be able to talk to someone who has no connection to the people involved. That's what counselors are basically for - just someone to be there and listen to you and help you sort your thoughts and emotions out.

Maybe whenever you want something you should have your mother pray your prayers for you... Just kidding! :D

Actually, God is just as much at work when His answers are "No" as when His answers are "Yes". It just may be that what we want and what He is doing don't line up for some reason. Be patient and know that God is way wiser than us and some day you'll possibly see the reason your prayers didn't get the results you hoped for.

Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I understand. Sometimes you need to be able to talk to someone who has no connection to the people involved. That's what counselors are basically for - just someone to be there and listen to you and help you sort your thoughts and emotions out.

Maybe whenever you want something you should have your mother pray your prayers for you... Just kidding! :D

Actually, God is just as much at work when His answers are "No" as when His answers are "Yes". It just may be that what we want and what He is doing don't line up for some reason. Be patient and know that God is way wiser than us and some day you'll possibly see the reason your prayers didn't get the results you hoped for.

I’ve definitely thought about asking her to pray for things that I want since the only thing she didn’t get was winning the lottery. I do feel bad about talking about her like this especially since she isn’t really like that anymore.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I’ve definitely thought about asking her to pray for things that I want since the only thing she didn’t get was winning the lottery. I do feel bad about talking about her like this especially since she isn’t really like that anymore.
Well, I can't say exactly why God might answer her prayers to often, except that she is praying in accordance with His will consistently. If your mom has prayed for something that would be sinful in some way and still got it, then I would seriously question what's going on.

You probably should stop talking about her to much on the internet if you feel bad about it and try talking to her personally and ask her why her prayers always seem to be answered. Maybe she has some wisdom she can share with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums