Tennessee
✟16,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
Okay, so here's the thing. I was lead to a Pentecostal church and saved about 2 months ago. I am being baptized tomorrow. I love the Holy Spirit. I love Jesus. I love my church. I was somewhat skeptical about much of the Pentecostal church. The whole faith healing/laying on hands/speaking in tongues thing raised an eyebrow, especially the speaking on tongues. I read everything I could on the subject without much help. It just felt like a bunch of grownups LARPing or roleplaying. It felt silly to me. Then a few nights ago I had this dream. A very weird dream. It has stuck with me.

I actually had two dreams that night. The first one I was standing on an apartment balcony. I leaned over to say something to a woman one floor below and to the right of my balcony--on her own balcony. I opened my mouth and incomprehensible gibberish came out. I had no idea what i was saying, but it spewed forth through no act of my own.

The second dream was more telling. There is this scifi show I was watching before bed. I had dreams about spaceships and aliens and such. It was a fun little dream, wherein I was on the outside of a large spaceship, laying in wait. An alien walked past me, and I called out something to the affect of "Stop right there, alien!" It was then that the alien turned around and immediately I knew I had erred. Yes, it was an alien, but immediately I recognized it as a profit. He grabbed my hand and I began to violently shake. My eyeballs felt like they were going to rattle right out of my skull. I was forced to my knees. It was then I began to speak in tongues, repeating the same words over and over again. I had no idea what they meant, but I remembered them when I awoke. It has been on my mind, so I tried to google them. At first I was led to believe they might have been an obscure Nigerian dialect, which I found interesting. Our church recently had a Nigerian missionary visit. Further study, however, led me to google translate where I began to fool around until I believe I got my answer.

The words I was repeating sounded like "hashafala hashadalan" or something of the like. Google translate told me that it was Hebrew--for "the coaxer humiliated." I certainly was when I realized it was a profit that I came upon. I have zero knowledge of the Hebrew language (other than the occasional word I will look up for translation in verses that sound curious to me.) If I am being honest, this "revelation" has left me sort of shaken, and I am not sure what to make of it. Was I visited by an angel of the Lord? Was that a gift of prophecy by the Spirit? Am I just imagining meaning where there is none? Any and all input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟824,291.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so here's the thing. I was lead to a Pentecostal church and saved about 2 months ago. I am being baptized tomorrow. I love the Holy Spirit. I love Jesus. I love my church. I was somewhat skeptical about much of the Pentecostal church. The whole faith healing/laying on hands/speaking in tongues thing raised an eyebrow, especially the speaking on tongues. I read everything I could on the subject without much help. It just felt like a bunch of grownups LARPing or roleplaying. It felt silly to me. Then a few nights ago I had this dream. A very weird dream. It has stuck with me.

I actually had two dreams that night. The first one I was standing on an apartment balcony. I leaned over to say something to a woman one floor below and to the right of my balcony--on her own balcony. I opened my mouth and incomprehensible gibberish came out. I had no idea what i was saying, but it spewed forth through no act of my own.

The second dream was more telling. There is this scifi show I was watching before bed. I had dreams about spaceships and aliens and such. It was a fun little dream, wherein I was on the outside of a large spaceship, laying in wait. An alien walked past me, and I called out something to the affect of "Stop right there, alien!" It was then that the alien turned around and immediately I knew I had erred. Yes, it was an alien, but immediately I recognized it as a profit. He grabbed my hand and I began to violently shake. My eyeballs felt like they were going to rattle right out of my skull. I was forced to my knees. It was then I began to speak in tongues, repeating the same words over and over again. I had no idea what they meant, but I remembered them when I awoke. It has been on my mind, so I tried to google them. At first I was led to believe they might have been an obscure Nigerian dialect, which I found interesting. Our church recently had a Nigerian missionary visit. Further study, however, led me to google translate where I began to fool around until I believe I got my answer.

The words I was repeating sounded like "hashafala hashafalan" or something of the like. Google translate told me that it was Hebrew--for "humiliated." I certainly was when I realized it was a profit that I came upon. I have zero knowledge of the Hebrew language (other than the occasional word I will look up for translation in verses that sound curious to me.) If I am being honest, this "revelation" has left me sort of shaken, and I am not sure what to make of it. Was I visited by an angel of the Lord? Was that a gift of prophecy by the Spirit? Am I just imagining meaning where there is none? Any and all input would be appreciated.
That is fascinating! It shows me that the Holy Spirit is not limited in how He can activate your faith to enter into the gift of tongues. I think that to be safe, you go through the steps of faith to receive the gift for real:
1. Believe that it is God's will for you to have a prayer language.
2. Ask God for the gift ("Everything by prayer and supplication make your requests known to the Lord").
3. Receive it by faith ("He who asks, receives").
4. Activate your faith by speaking the words you remember from your dream and don't stop speaking. What you will find is that the language will flow out of you and new words and phrases will come out of you.

It is important that you speak not just from your mouth, but from your heart. Remember that you are praying to God in the Spirit, therefore you are speaking from your heart directly to Him. To help, think of someone who really needs your prayers, ask the Holy Spirit to guide your tongue, and then speak the words. You will be surprised at what you speak as the Holy Spirit gives you utterance to intercede in tongues for that person.

Now, don't listen to anyone who will try and tell you that you might receive something false. Jesus promised: "If you, being evil, when your child asks you for bread, would you give him a stone? And if he asks you for fish would you give him a snake? Then how much more will the Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?" This means that you will receive exactly what you ask for, because God is faithful to His promises. He does not lie. If you ask for the genuine gift of tongues, then that is what you will receive when you activate your faith.

You don't have to wait for some sensory feeling before you can speak in tongues. It is not an "ecstatic" gift as some (who have never spoken in tongues) say. Faith is dependence on God's promises and not on sensory feelings. If you wait for a sensory experience then the devil is always there to give you one to cause you to sidetrack from God's promises and point you to faith in feelings instead of His Word.

Upvote 0

JakeyB123

Jul 10, 2018
bakersfield
✟12,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mark 16:17-18 King James Version (KJV)
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Upvote 0