Follower of Yeshua
May 7, 2010
USA
✟8,563.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I have been "slain in the Spirit" many times since I have been saved, but for awhile now, I have been wondering about it, because I have seen videos and heard of other religions, such as Hindu and Buddhist that also are slain in the Spirit and speak in tongues just like our spirit filled Christian churches. It looks exactly the same, even though I know the Spirits they are receiving are not our precious Holy Spirit. :(

I've read so many debates about how people in the Bible never fell back, only forward when they were in the Presence of God. The only instance of people falling back were the unsaved soldiers who came to arrest our Lord Jesus, and the Greek word that I looked up doesn't even necessarily mean fall out in the Spirit.

Anyway, it has bothered me so much that Christians fall backward, (and not forward) the same way that other religions do when the guru lays hands on them. I just want to be sure that the Spirit I recieve is of God, and not a decieving spirit if I go up for prayer and happen to be slain in the Spirit. I know Satan imitates everything of God to deceive us, and Satan goes to church too! Oh, and I have had several times where I have been slain in the Spirit when no one has laid hands on me at all-a couple of times I have been slain in the Spirit in my church pew, and once here at home...so I know that God does not need someone to "shove" anyone down-the Holy Spirit is perfectly capable to do anything!

I prayed and prayed about it, and last week I had a dream that I went up for prayer at church,and was slain in the Spirit....but for the first time, I fell FORWARD, not back!

I have to mention that the dream was very vivid, and also that I never remember my dreams at all-I just never dream. But this dream was very vivid and I still remember it a week later.

Do you think this was from God, showing me something about being slain in the Spirit?

Firewater

Regular Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2009
✟24,698.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Do you think this was from God, showing me something about being slain in the Spirit?
I think He is saying He can do what He wishes.

I've seen people fall all sorts of different ways - in a heap straight down, sideways & forward.

Falling back is the most convenient way to catch someone & reduce the risk of them or someone else being injured by the fall. There are particular sensitivities trying to catch a woman falling forward. :) It also makes it easier for the other people around the person receiving prayer. So over the years I think practical factors have influenced how it happens. Someone could argue if God is doing it, noone should get hurt & we should just let them fall on the floor- maybe, but I would feel irresponsible watching an elderly or infirm person fall down without anyone trying to assit them. It shows care & compassion which would also be a good witness to any unbelievers although they may be a little freaked out seeing someone falling down. Signs & wonders follow those who believe & point to something beyond the rational which is what has most western non-Christians ensnared. So in addition to being a blessing to the person receiving prayer, it is a helpful sign to shake people out of the rational.

Luke 11: 9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. 11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for[f] a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Something else to consider -- people talk about unknowingly getting demonic influence, but it's worth addressing how Christ made us more than conquerors. Yes, the risks are there, but you can declare that the dangers will not touch you. Take it as a training activity, to allow yourself to be near dangers while asserting your authority as children of God.

I have found that wherever the Holy Spirit works powerfully, there are also dangers lurking. We need to stay on our toes and accept that risk, being proactive in resisting evil.

I went up for prayer at church,and was slain in the Spirit....but for the first time, I fell FORWARD, not back!
You chose to submit to the possibility of being slain, and God allowed you to do it in a way you were comfortable with. Falling backward, a human loses control. Falling forward, a human is able to use arms to manage the fall. It is possible that the dream was God showing you that in general, He is going to work with you on things -- not just upset everything and disable you.

You yielded, and He responded kindly and thoughtfully. He respected your ability to decide and manage risks.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Look at the stories of the Old Testament: Abraham yielding to the possibility of God wanting him to sacrifice what was most precious to him, but God catching the fall and providing a substitute; Moses not wanting to be a public speaker and God providing the staff/snake and other miracles to support his confidence. God provides a way.

I think the dream is more general, using a subject that has bothered you for a while, as symbolism for how He relates to you in general. God works with us, even when we need to yield first.

Upvote 0

Migdala

Follower of Yeshua
May 7, 2010
USA
✟8,563.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Falling back is the most convenient way to catch someone & reduce the risk of them or someone else being injured by the fall.

This is where my problem is....WHY would God need a "catcher" in the first place, and why on earth would He allow His children who are seeking Him to get hurt when they fall? Where in the Bible is there anywhere that says that someone went up to have someone hit them on the forehead so they could fall down,and someone caught them from behind? Nowhere at all in the Bible! I do know that other religions besides Christianity also falls in the Spirit as well.

A friend of mine fell out in the Spirit once and no one "caught" her and she busted her head and had a concussion! All she had been doing was worshiping the Lord!

But I have had times that I fell out after seeing a vision of Jesus, and I fell on hard concrete and no one was even there to catch me, and I was not hurt!

Anyway-I don't want to get this thread off track on another subject besides dreams and visions.....:)

Upvote 0

Firewater

Regular Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2009
✟24,698.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
There are many things in the bible where God has not been prescriptive or detailed in how we should worship Him. For example nowhere in the bible does it say ok this is how you give a salvation call- ask people if they want to give their life to Jesus to put up their hand. This is how you should pray for people - call them forward & ask them to stand at the front. Just because the bible doesn't instruct us in these things doesn't mean they are wrong. It's the heart of people that is the issue for God, not the outward actions.

There are also tribal sharmans etc who do 'healings' of sorts or perform other miraculous signs like pharoh's magicians who made staffs become snakes. To somone observing like Pharoah, they did this in exactly the same way Moses did it. So we can't rely on outward appearances of isolated actions to make a judgement call as to whether something is of God or not. Pastors are accountable to God to discern what is going on in their churches & their flock & there is a gift of discerning of spirits which operates in the body of Christ. The Lord uses these things to protect us. Jesus also instructed us to look at the fruit that comes from the person ministering. The fruit of the sharman's work is fear & people in bondage. In your church, are people being edified, encouraged, built-up, becoming freer & drawn closer to Jesus, loving God & people more?

I think we have the Spirit of Jesus in us, God is a loving Father & we are seeking Him for good things from His hand, so we trust that when we are asking for His Spirit, He is not going to "give us a snake instead of a fish".

My impression is that the root of the issue for you is not which way a person falls. I think for you this is like a symptom of the real issue which concerns you. I'd suggest trying to set the falling issue aside, re-read the scripture I included & what Heron wrote & ask Jesus "Lord, what is the real issue here for me & how can I grow past it?" How is your relationship with your human father?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is where my problem is....WHY would God need a "catcher" in the first place, and why on earth would He allow His children who are seeking Him to get hurt when they fall?
You have a valid point, especially with your friend's fall. There are people who will say things like, "She was resisting God," which does more damage than any healing that was done.

I have mixed feelings and beliefs about this, but I do believe that the focus needs to be on going up for prayer and getting prayer -- not going up to be knocked over. And I'm sure you don't want to bruise the church ministry by obsessing over your convictions on this. Try to put yourself in situations where it's a non-issue. Teach Sunday school or work the sound system.

We need to also look at the fact that the Holy Spirit dwells within each one of us, and we should not be looking toward spiritual leaders to "get God" on a weekly basis. The dependence creates a hierarchical structure where the people never feel strong enough to fulfill the Great Commission themselves.

I don't think many churches set this up intentionally. The leaders spend much time in prayer and preparation for a service, and the average parishioner probably shows up in the middle of life's distractions. If you spend time in prayer for the service -- either prayerwalking in the building or praying at home -- then you will have a more proactive stance while you're at church, and will probably find people God can minister to through you.

In your opinion, ministry can be done a different way; allow God to take you down that path and reach the people who feel similarly. The church is the Body of believers, joint heirs with Christ, the royal priesthood.

God does want to use you -- that is scriptural. And falling forward in your dream, if it is from God, shows manageable infilling as valid and acceptable. But remember -- you already have Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Upvote 0

Eliza4800

Feb 21, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa
✟15,190.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Satan mimicks God in so many ways. So it doesn't matter the way a person falls. It won't authenticate a true believe vs a phony. It doesn't even matter if you're not slain in the spirit. It's not a requirement of salvation. God is more concerned with your heart. The motives behind your worship. I think your dream is a sign to you that God knows you're sincere in your worship and that's what truly matters to him. Babbling and repetitive prayers seem to annoy but a genuine love and desire to please our Lord gets our God's attention every time.

That being said, I was raised in a charismatic church and now older, I'm not the biggest fan of this practice, being slain in the spirit. I'm a huge fan of prayer and Bible Study, Worshiping God through music etc but passing out.. not so much. I'm not here to judge or put God in a box, I'm just saying it has potential to open evil doors through prideful worship (showing off) etc. I've seen it firsthand many times. Be careful not to get caught in a phony worship show and focus on God's word and pray like he instructed to behind closed doors..."Our Father who art in Heaven...."

Upvote 0

Migdala

Follower of Yeshua
May 7, 2010
USA
✟8,563.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the comments posted. God knows our hearts and if we are going up to be "slain", just to have some sort of "experience" with God, then our hearts are not in the right place at all. It's like we are saying that we don't believe God is with us unless He shows us by knocking us to the floor! He must be very grieved by that! I have been in church worshiping, and been slain in my pew before, with no "catcher" or anything. I have fallen on hard concrete before, with no one to catch me-and I was not hurt at all, when I should have been.

I don't understand what happened to my friend when she was hurt. I have read about people being seriously hurt, and I think someone was even killed, at Benny Hinn's revivals. I really don't think God would allow someone to be killed who was worshiping Him, seeking His face.

I don't know, but maybe when we SEEK these experiences, it opens us up to other spirits as well,even in the church. I agree with Eliza4800......Satan can mimic God in so many ways. I believe that God CAN and DOES slay us in the Spirit, but I think other spirits also can do this as well, which is proven by the fact that Hindu and other religions do it to.

I no longer go up to be slain in the Spirit. I don't stand in line to have some pastor hit me on the head....if God wants me to be slain, I know He can do it whenver and wherever I am, without any help, and He most certainly does not need me to have a "catcher" either. If I am seeking Him and not the experience, then He will not let me be hurt....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You sensed something amiss, and should look into the specifics of what is off-base. It might be something small that could be corrected.

I really don't think God would allow someone to be killed who was worshiping Him, seeking His face.
I don't know the story, but I've seen other people die at convenient times in their lives... everyone dies earlier than they plan to. I almost think the concussion is worse -- no going out in a blaze of glory.

Going up for prayer seems scriptural, but there are some things I don't like about it -- -it puts the person in an embarrassing spot, where others are staring at them
-it can be presented as "this is the pivotal moment," when they do it every week
-people's expectations can distort, so even when the intent of the leader may be good, people can treat it with a magic element... or vice versa
-the music is often too loud for a person to tell the leaders what they need prayer for, so the personal element of practicing concern for each other is pushed aside. Every church handles this differently... some just touch, some pray or prophesy, and some talk then pray.

I found that in churches that did this regularly, people tended to own each others' problem-stories and talk about them freely, without taking responsibility to follow through on real help. Concern is expressed on a shallow level. ("I heard the prophecy on your -x- ... glad to hear it's over.") Compare the line-up to how Jesus spent very individual time with people when He healed. Of course he had lines too.

Upvote 0

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Glad you posted your dream and questions asI have a few doubts myself at the constant slaying in the spirit that occurs in some Churches as in the one I use to attend. I would be told Lay there till the Lord speaks to you or He is doing a work in your life. I would often stand up and not have any idea what He did or what He intended for me to learn. As for visions I have never been slain in the Spirit before I received any of them if I recall correctly, but each person is different. And as you said you did fall when you received messages and visions.
I believe you ask a valid question as to Why arn't a majority of those slain falling face forward instead of backward and if the Lord has slain a person then little to no harm should befall them in the process. It seems to boil down to people needing to see or feel the presence of God and we seem to be raising a generation chasing after good feelings and spiritual highs. And imho that can be dangerous territory and a large open door for the devil to come in and deceive.
I want to be clear about the fact I do believe the Lord slays people in the Spirit, but we should be careful that it does not become a god unto itself. Maybe your dream is a warning about the Church needing to step back and not be so accepting of the slain spirit phenomena, because as you said there are a number of ungodly religions that also produce the same "miraculous" effect on worshippers.

Upvote 0

hadasseh

Seeker of Light
Dec 29, 2009
✟8,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for posting this -- so important in our church culture today to explore these questions, and we've all got 'em. I have never been slain in the Spirit, but my husband has. He's a big boy and he dropped like a rock, and no one touched him. Come to think of it, he fell forward. It was a great experience for him (only happened about 2 or 3 times). I have seen people fall all kinds of ways. Don't you really think it all comes down to chase the Gifter and not the gift . . . or the experience? Even going after dreams, visions, miracles, etc. is not what it is all about -- it's about Him. It is so understandable for me to have a really awesome experience . . . and want to have more. I could see where people would want to be slain over and over again. God's Presence should be our ultimate obsession, if you want to put it that way. He is the only One who can satisfy.

Thanks for all the posts, I have enjoyed everyone's input.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In my teens, we were visiting a Pentecostal church and the whole congregation was told to come forward for knocking down. Everyone fell but me. I mean everyone. The pastor physically pushed me hard a few times, and got frustrated with me, so I stepped back. I was having a very spiritually uplifting year, so it made me think seriously about what was going on.

Years later, I still don't have a solid conclusion. Except that I don't want to be pushed by a pastor.

Upvote 0

Migdala

Follower of Yeshua
May 7, 2010
USA
✟8,563.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In my teens, we were visiting a Pentecostal church and the whole congregation was told to come forward for knocking down. Everyone fell but me. I mean everyone. The pastor physically pushed me hard a few times, and got frustrated with me, so I stepped back. I was having a very spiritually uplifting year, so it made me think seriously about what was going on.

Years later, I still don't have a solid conclusion. Except that I don't want to be pushed by a pastor.

Wow! I have heard of similar things happening to other strong Christians too. In fact, a pastor at a church I used to go to told me that he went to a Benny Hinn revival with another very strong, annointed buy who went to the same church. He said that every single person in the audience went down but them!

All I know is that I refuse to allow a pastor to shove me down-all it's doing is feeding their flesh. If God wants to knock me over, He can do it without help. And He has done it to me several times with no one touching me at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums